Starting finasteride - need advice

Mat16

Hey guys, i have decided to give finasteride a try eventhough im terrified of sides. I was thinking of obtaining it from dr Bisanga since he told me he offers it also with prescription ( for 50€ ). In my country i cannot get a prescription for fin for hairloss so i need to get it elsewhere. Do you think i should get it from dr bisanga or you know about some cheaper options (bisanga - 50€=prescription+30€=shipping+40€fin itself)?

Also, my second question is, what dosage would you recommend to start up with and how often. I also want to start oral minoxidil but later when i will be able to assess fin affect.

Thank a lot for all responses

Dollar to euro conversion is 1.00/1.18 so while the shipping cost sucks, the price for the finasteride is decent for 1mg pills compared with here in the US -is he giving you 1mg pills or 5mg pills that you cut 4 ways?

The 5mg pills are alot cheaper (at least they are here in the US) -but you do get a little bit of a higher dosage that way -1.25mg per pill, so you may not want to start out that way since you are so concerned about side effects. - And I know its easier said than done, but try not to dwell or obsess about the possibility of side effects, in the FDA trials about 3% reported they got side effects and about half of those were not even given the actual drug, they were taking the placebo. If you haven't already been checked out by your doctor have him make sure you are in generally good health, normal testosterone levels, then if you get the sides go back and see him and see if anything has changed.

3 hours ago, ciaus said:

Dollar to euro conversion is 1.00/1.18 so while the shipping cost sucks, the price for the finasteride is decent for 1mg pills compared with here in the US -is he giving you 1mg pills or 5mg pills that you cut 4 ways?

The 5mg pills are alot cheaper (at least they are here in the US) -but you do get a little bit of a higher dosage that way -1.25mg per pill, so you may not want to start out that way since you are so concerned about side effects. - And I know its easier said than done, but try not to dwell or obsess about the possibility of side effects, in the FDA trials about 3% reported they got side effects and about half of those were not even given the actual drug, they were taking the placebo. If you haven't already been checked out by your doctor have him make sure you are in generally good health, normal testosterone levels, then if you get the sides go back and see him and see if anything has changed.

Thank you, and yes he is offering 1mg tablets. But im not sure what dosage should i start with. I mean if 0.5mg EOD or 1mg every day or something different...

1/4 tablet, monday, wednesday and Friday.  Try for a month

No sides, try 1/2 a mg

No sides, try 1mg

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

25 minutes ago, Alex5 said:

I have recently started and I am doing 1g Fin 3 times a week, Mon/Wed/Fri.

I was convinced after watching this video of 2 very well regarded doctors talk about it

And is it working or it is still to early to assess?

34 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

It's such a shame that people are so afraid of finasteride. I'm sure the nocebo effect it is collectively having is far greater than any actual sides. Because I feel you are at risk for nocebo, I think you should start off with a lower, less frequent dosage as @1978matt said.

Yes well the only fear i have is coming from this forum from people that share negative experience with it. So thats the only source of my fear since i have been reading quite a lot of negative experiences here lately

59 minutes ago, Mat16 said:

Yes well the only fear i have is coming from this forum from people that share negative experience with it. So thats the only source of my fear since i have been reading quite a lot of negative experiences here lately

Yea millions of people have taken the drug over the last few decades, but its the few that get the side effects (either legitimately or because they scare themselves into mentally manufacturing the side effect symptoms) that you hear the most from on the internet.

The best advice you are going to get on this is see your doctor and make sure you have no pre-existing health issues before you start, and then get on with living your life only thinking about finasteride when its that time of the day for you to take the next pill.

1 hour ago, Mat16 said:

Why? What is your experience?

it is not wise to mess with your hormones ... DHT is a mighty one and it has many functions including brain health  .... and raising estrogen in general is a bad idea for men ... i had suffered from ED and depression .... and the side effects started after the 5th month till i quit cold turkey after 15 days ... thinking it was just my imagination and the so called nocebo effect ... took me a solid 1 year to recover luckily .