• Valued Contributor

I couldn't agree more with the suggestions and advice above. If you focus on surgeons who are great in working with Norwood 6/7 patients then you will be heading in the right direction. Eugenix is a good starting point as they have a great track record in this area. All the best.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2020 at 4:44 PM, giegnosiganoe said:

Sorry, I misunderstood. So the first 2 pictures in your post are from 2 years ago, and the ones you posted further below are your current pics.

Sorry for the confusion! But yes you are correct.

Hey guys, is it possible to have successful hair transplants/good coverage for patients who are heading towards Norwood 6/7?

My dad had a perfect Norwood 6 horshoe hair style. Only thick on the back and sides (with partial thinning in the nape region of the neck).

My maternal grandfather had thinning hair, but didn't go completely bald. Had a high receding hair line + diffuse thinning mid-scalp and crown. 

Edited by baldiee

This guy had a crazy transformation for only doing a 2,000 FUE transplantation!

Imagine doing FUT with more grafts. I am okay with getting multiple FUTs if my donor hair allows it as well.

Edited by baldiee

Yeah, that result is par for the course for Dr. K.  And the fact you understand you'll need more than one surgery is a good start!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hello guys,

So after a week of talking, Dr. Konior is offering to do 3,000-3,500 grafts (based on pictures; he'll be able to give a more precise number after doing a microscopic evaluation) for $25,000. Is this worth it? After seeing my pictures, is there anyone against the idea of undergoing a hair transplantation?

Dr. K is definitely worth it, no question.  He won't do you wrong.  The question is are you prepared for the very real possibility of needing/wanting another pass?

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Just now, aaron1234 said:

Dr. K is definitely worth it, no question.  He won't do you wrong.  The question is are you prepared for the very real possibility of needing/wanting another pass?

Yes, I am okay with the idea of getting 1 or 2 more FUT's in the future. But does my donor area seem good enough to do that? Have you guys seen anyone else in similar hair loss pattern as me and have gotten multiple hair transplants? 

39 minutes ago, baldiee said:

Hello guys,

So after a week of talking, Dr. Konior is offering to do 3,000-3,500 grafts (based on pictures; he'll be able to give a more precise number after doing a microscopic evaluation) for $25,000. Is this worth it? After seeing my pictures, is there anyone against the idea of undergoing a hair transplantation?

Is this for fut or fue? Konior told me fut only yields 20% more lifetime grafts. In exchange for a strip scar. Do you think an extra 1500 grafts is worth having long hair on the sides to hide the scar? I’m in the same position. He also said beard hair can make up the difference 

1 minute ago, James C said:

Is this for fut or fue? Konior told me fut only yields 20% more lifetime grafts. In exchange for a strip scar. Do you think an extra 1500 grafts is worth having long hair on the sides to hide the scar? I’m in the same position. He also said beard hair can make up the difference 

FUT. I am only pursuing FUT transplants due to my aggressive hair loss. What does "20% more lifetime grafts" mean exactly. Sorry, I did not understand. I am okay with longer hair styles. A grade 3 haircut is usually the minimum required to hide the scar, right?

7 minutes ago, baldiee said:

FUT. I am only pursuing FUT transplants due to my aggressive hair loss. What does "20% more lifetime grafts" mean exactly. Sorry, I did not understand. I am okay with longer hair styles. A grade 3 haircut is usually the minimum required to hide the scar, right?

20% more lifetime grafts available in your donor for fut versus fue. So lets say you can get 7k grafts via fut alone. You’d be maxed out at maybe 5600 with fue alone (20% less). But in exchange for the extra grafts, you get a strip scar. I’m heading towards a nw 6 and I’m debating fut or fue. I have a good beard tho. Konior said he can likely grab another 1k Atleast from my beard. So fue plus beard grafts is sounding like a good option right now. One thing i fear for us nw 6s is if we go fut, were forced to wear our hair longer on the sides. (I think longer then a number 3 honestly.) and with our advanced pattern were not likely to get much crown density. So a thin crown + long hair on the sides is concerning. Atleast with fue you can cut the hair shorter which blends better with a thin crown. Do you agree?

Edited by James C

4 minutes ago, James C said:

20% more lifetime grafts available in your donor for fut versus fue. So lets say you can get 7k grafts via fut alone. You’d be maxed out at maybe 5600 with fue alone (20% less). But in exchange for the extra grafts, you get a strip scar. I’m heading towards a nw 6 and I’m debating fut or fue. I have a good beard tho. Konior said he can likely grab another 1k Atleast from my beard. So fue plus beard grafts is sounding like a good option right now. One thing i fear for us nw 6s is if we go fut, were forced to wear our hair longer on the sides. (I think longer then a number 3 honestly.) and with our advanced pattern were not likely to get much crown density. So a thin crown + long hair on the sides is concerning. Atleast with fue you can cut the hair shorter which blends better with a thin crown. Do you agree?

I would argue to go for FUT. You would get the full 7k grafts + the 1k grafts from the beard. My question is, why not do FUE to fix/lessen the scar at the end of your transplantations?

9 minutes ago, baldiee said:

I would argue to go for FUT. You would get the full 7k grafts + the 1k grafts from the beard. My question is, why not do FUE to fix/lessen the scar at the end of your transplantations?

Good point. You’d really max out your grafts that way. I just don’t know how well scar revisions are nowadays with fue into them. I guess fue in theory sounds like a safer option god forbid your results aren’t what you expected. You wouldn’t be stuck with long hair on the sides. It all comes down to trusting the right doctor to get the job done 

22 minutes ago, James C said:

Good point. You’d really max out your grafts that way. I just don’t know how well scar revisions are nowadays with fue into them. I guess fue in theory sounds like a safer option god forbid your results aren’t what you expected. You wouldn’t be stuck with long hair on the sides. It all comes down to trusting the right doctor to get the job done 

Haha thanks bro. I suppose it comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't mind keeping a bit of a longer hairstyle if that means I can have better scalp coverage for the rest of my life. 

Just now, baldiee said:

Haha thanks bro. I suppose it comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't mind keeping a bit of a longer hairstyle if that means I can have better scalp coverage for the rest of my life. 

Yup that’s how i feel too, but then i see these giant fue cases and I’m like woah lol

1 hour ago, baldiee said:

But does my donor area seem good enough to do that?

At the end of the day, we can only speculate about your donor quality on the forum.  The doctor would have a better idea when examining it in person with magnification.  It does look like you're a NW6/7, so you if decide to get transplants you'll have to accept that you won't ever get full coverage.  But you can still get a natural result with thin coverage in the top half of the crown.  

12 minutes ago, aaron1234 said:

At the end of the day, we can only speculate about your donor quality on the forum.  The doctor would have a better idea when examining it in person with magnification.  It does look like you're a NW6/7, so you if decide to get transplants you'll have to accept that you won't ever get full coverage.  But you can still get a natural result with thin coverage in the top half of the crown.  

I think he’ll be able to get light coverage throughout his entire crown because he’s staring with fut. would need to have a conservatively placed hairline tho

32 minutes ago, aaron1234 said:

19 minutes ago, James C said:

I think he’ll be able to get light coverage throughout his entire crown because he’s staring with fut. would need to have a conservatively placed hairline tho

Honestly, the link I posted above in an earlier post (2,000 graft FUE) is goals for me. Gives me confidence in Dr. K's work, especially if he will have more grafts to work with in an FUT patient. 

5 minutes ago, baldiee said:

Honestly, the link I posted above in an earlier post (2,000 graft FUE) is goals for me. Gives me confidence in Dr. K's work, especially if he will have more grafts to work with in an FUT patient. 

Did you consult with dr Blake bloxham in ny? He’s top 3 fut doctors in my opinion

1 minute ago, Taken4Granted said:

Dr. K is worth every dollar, period. You’ll need to do some soul-searching about FUT v. FUE, but Konior’s gonna do the best work money can buy.

Do you think I should look into FUE with my current hair loss? I didn't even consider FUE because of my aggressive hair loss.

• Like 1

That’s a tough one every man has to figure out for himself. Me, I do live with limitations, and the cost/graft for FUT on my first procedure made it the obvious choice, considering the coverage and density I was going for. With docs like Konior, FUE may not harvest that much less than FUT, but the strip is a nice, fat harvest. I needed less work than you and still felt FUT was the way to go. With the room you need to cover, I would def make choices that maximize harvest and yield. That means top docs and maybe even 2 strips before switching to FUE.

Edited by Taken4Granted
  • Like 1

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

Yes I still agree that you should go for a FUT Mega session for your first Ht. As I said before you really do need as many grafts as you can get. 
With a source of FUT then FUE at a later date. You will also then have BHT you can consider as a “filler” 

Edited by JohnAC71