When is it okay to fully start washing your transplanted area?

I had a transplant done last Tuesday (the 25th) and my doctor said that about 6 to 7 days later you can start washing your hair like normal. I of course trust him and he was great throughout the whole experience, but Ive heard conflicting info online from other surgeons/patients. When is it completely safe and secure so that no grafts are lost? Thanks.  

• Administrators

I would say around three weeks, or once the grafts have shed. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Cups of soapy warm water for the first 7 days, no massaging.

AFTER THE FIRST WEEK:  The transplanted area can be directly shampooed using gentle pressure beginning one week after surgery.  The shower stream can directly hit the transplanted area with a stronger force at this time also.  The transplanted area should be washed daily and directly using a very light and gentle massaging motion.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

5 hours ago, efbb88 said:

I had a transplant done last Tuesday (the 25th) and my doctor said that about 6 to 7 days later you can start washing your hair like normal. I of course trust him and he was great throughout the whole experience, but Ive heard conflicting info online from other surgeons/patients. When is it completely safe and secure so that no grafts are lost? Thanks.  

One weeks time is more than sufficient to start having a normal headwadh regulalrly. It is comepletely safe after that.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

3 hours ago, 1978matt said:

Cups of soapy warm water for the first 7 days, no massaging.

AFTER THE FIRST WEEK:  The transplanted area can be directly shampooed using gentle pressure beginning one week after surgery.  The shower stream can directly hit the transplanted area with a stronger force at this time also.  The transplanted area should be washed daily and directly using a very light and gentle massaging motion.

Are those Dr. Konior's directions?

I might have used the cup of soapy water for almost two weeks just to be safe.  Once the grafts have shed I start washing a bit more vigorously.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group