Choosing an FUE surgeon

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for help getting an informed opinion of my surgeon I found based on his Instagram. He has many photos and some stories of his FUE transplant work.

I've met with him, felt good about the consult and what he would do for me, so I scheduled an operation. Why I felt good: He is an MD, dermatologist by training and specializes only in hair transplant (both FUE and FUT) In addition, he has a dedicated hair transplant clinic with permanent technicians (not traveling ones). He is also young and I think highly motivated to make a name for himself in my country where there aren't many hair transplant doctors.

That all said, I don't have as keen an eye for quality and details as many of you on this forum. So I'm hoping you can help me figure out — and ideally put me at ease! — that the work he displays is high quality. Including some specific examples below.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by yalla8

For the choice of the surgeon, I advise you to look for the testimonies of patients who have undergone a transplant with him, forget the videos that are on Instagram or on Facebook or on his website if he has one.

5 minutes ago, Egy said:

For the choice of the surgeon, I advise you to look for the testimonies of patients who have undergone a transplant with him, forget the videos that are on Instagram or on Facebook or on his website if he has one.

Thanks. There are a few positive testimonials online, but I haven't found any on forums like this one.

1 minute ago, yalla8 said:

Thanks. There are a few positive testimonials online, but I haven't found any on forums like this one

Then I'd be very careful if I were in your place. 

@yalla8 the general opinion of HRN members is to completely disregard and ignore any YouTube, Facebook, Instagram or any other results posted on social media. Same for any reviews posted on yelp or anywhere other reviews website.

When choosing a Doctor you have to come to forums like HRN and see results from real patients, those are the ones that start a results thread from the day of their surgery until the end of the 12 month growth cycle (many clinic reps come here and create a new thread with just a before and after picture and then falsely claim to be a patient).

If you are on a budget I advise Dr.Demirsoy at 1.25€/graft (pre-made slits and techs do implanting) but if you can spend a bit more to have a Doctor only surgery with a more advanced technique then go to Dr. Bruno Ferreira at 2.5€/graft. 

Edited by Portugal25
  • Thanks 1

I would never book a permanent surgery with a unknown doctor and asking the clinic to talk with the former patient may just result in you talking with a clinic rep. 

Your donor area is limited so every graft is precious and in order for them to be used wisely you need to select a doctor with real patients posting great results. 

Edited by Portugal25

Thanks for weighing in. 

I understand the consensus is that real patient reviews are the gold standard. But when that's not possible for whatever reason, I do think there's valuable data in the photos and videos put out by the surgeon himself. That's where I was hoping to get feedback here. 

@yalla8 what we are trying to tell you is that pictures and videos posted by the clinic or it’s doctors should never to be the only thing you consider while making a decision on which doctor will do your surgery. 

If the doctor has no real patients posting their results for the 12 month growth cycle then my advice is for you to chose another doctor.

Worst you can do is to pay for a surgery that will deplete your donor area and give you a bad result because afterwards you will end up needing a repair surgery without enough grafts due a depleted donor area from the first surgery. 

Edited by Portugal25
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Portugal25 said:

If the doctor has no real patients posting their results for the 12 month growth cycle then my advice is for you to chose another doctor.

This!

I never understand why people try to investigate on a certain unknown an unproven clinic despite select between the many great ones with thousands of results online.

By the way: I guess almost no one here can read the site the OP has shared but I also see a lot of other surgeries like nose jobs. Almost never a good sign. 

• Administrators

Take a look at our recommendations, our surgeons are thoroughly vetted and approved by our community based on their patient results. You can see their results on their profiles, and if you like what you see, send them your pictures for a free online consultation.

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.