Transplant into FUE scars?

Hi Guys,

FUT scar repair is fairly common practice, but I’m not finding much on FUE scar repair. I’ve found somethings on the net saying it is possible, but wondering if anyone on these forums has had it done or knows of an example (that doesn’t involve SMP) they can point me in the direction off.

Im thinking, body/beard hair into a depleted donor area?

Thanks

Edited by Mr Sinister

This is commonly called DRT (donor replacement therapy) where the extraction sites have new hair added.

IMHO, beard hair is the best donor for this type of treatment because beard hair is usually much coarser.

The single most fundamental challenge to DRT is the yield in regrowth...WHY?...because the healed extraction site is made up of scar tissue with little to no blood flow and usually scar tissue is thicker in its composition as compared to normal scalp tissue.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

9 hours ago, gillenator said:

This is commonly called DRT (donor replacement therapy) where the extraction sites have new hair added.

IMHO, beard hair is the best donor for this type of treatment because beard hair is usually much coarser.

The single most fundamental challenge to DRT is the yield in regrowth...WHY?...because the healed extraction site is made up of scar tissue with little to no blood flow and usually scar tissue is thicker in its composition as compared to normal scalp tissue.

What’s the yield typically like?

@Mr Sinister thanks for your pictures.  If you let your hair grow out longer this would disguise your areas of depletion.

If you don't want to do that You would need about 1500 to 2000 beard grafts implanted to solve the problem. 

Beard grafts are thicker than scalp hair and would make a good difference.  From your pictures you have an abundance of beard grafts to give. 

For more info on beard grafts and healing etc you can see it on my thread on the home page under

RESULTS POSTED BY PATIENTS

then

EXPERIENCE OF AN IRISHMAN AFTER 6 YEARS RESEARCHING ......

Paddy

13 hours ago, gillenator said:

Thanks, this is valuable info. I know it’s a weird question but can pubic/abdomen hair be used? Mine is quite thick and plentiful 😊

although the texture And growth of the hair would be different, I wouldn’t be too bothered because I would plan on keeping the hair pretty short.

1 hour ago, paddyirishman said:

@Mr Sinister thanks for your pictures.  If you let your hair grow out longer this would disguise your areas of depletion.

If you don't want to do that You would need about 1500 to 2000 beard grafts implanted to solve the problem. 

Beard grafts are thicker than scalp hair and would make a good difference.  From your pictures you have an abundance of beard grafts to give. 

For more info on beard grafts and healing etc you can see it on my thread on the home page under

RESULTS POSTED BY PATIENTS

then

EXPERIENCE OF AN IRISHMAN AFTER 6 YEARS RESEARCHING ......

Paddy

Even at longer lengths, there is still a lot of emptiness. The reason I went for an fue was so I could have my hair short back and sides... looks like that’s not happening any time soon 🙄

11 hours ago, Mr Sinister said:

Thanks, this is valuable info. I know it’s a weird question but can pubic/abdomen hair be used? Mine is quite thick and plentiful 😊

although the texture And growth of the hair would be different, I wouldn’t be too bothered because I would plan on keeping the hair pretty short.

These areas would be utilised as a last resort in extreme cases of baldness. Your not in this situation so it would be unuasual for this strategy to be considered imo. 

If you were reluctant to use beard grafts because you want to grow a beard, 2000 grafts being removed from your lower neck area would be doable and you could still have a good beard. Problem solved.

Paddy

• Moderators

Beard hair usually works better than hair from chest and abdomen. If you are worried about scars then only take hairs from the center area under your chin. Since that area is rarely facing anyone, it's almost impossible for anyone to ever notice. People with good, full beards can get a lot of hair from a small area. It's surprising how much is actually there on some people and you don't have to worry about thinning it out too much. I would probably want to try a small test of chest hair placed in a specific location just to see how well it works. That will give you an idea of whether that hair is good to use in future procedures down the road and can help you plan for further treatments if you lose more hair.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 4/15/2020 at 6:14 AM, Mr Sinister said:

Yes it can be used as a donor source...but I wonder how painful it may be to receive the lidocaine injections to numb that area?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• Moderators

How long ago was the hair transplant done? You will get some shock loss that will grow back over time, so if it's only been a few months then wait a few more months and see how it is.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:17 AM, HairFunk said:

That's quite a lot of thinning! How long ago was the last op and how many grafts? 

Thanks all for the advice so far. It’s coming up to 7 months now. So I’ll certainly wait a few more months before making any concrete decisions. Im sure there is some shock loss. But the extraction pattern is so poor, I also think the area had been over harvested. I was told it was 3,200 grafts. 

On 4/14/2020 at 5:09 PM, gillenator said:

I like your answers.  You say what I am thinking, just much more eloquent.  Kudos

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Thanks for the kind words dazed.

Gillenator