Died on the battlefield

Namsak

• 2 months later...

Did you ever speak to them? I personally am not one to give the old "Well compared to where you came from!" line. I honestly think this was a poor result. That said, when styling it like I see you did in some pics, it looks very presentable. But we did need to be honest here. 4000 grafts is a lot of grafts. Clearly something went wrong growth wise with a good amount of grafts. I'm just not sure what. But bottom line is the density should have been better.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Any update ? 

Sorry about your experience bro...

Okay so the good news is this is not bad result because there is obvious growth in the recipient area and improvement from baseline. When someone  looks at you from the front, you look less receeded than before. 

But the bad news is this is typical case of what I would call a subpar/mediocre result. Especially for 4000 grafts and 10k $....

Sure your hair is not too thick  but hey it's not too thin either... The density should have been way better with that specific number of grafts.... 

I've seen cases of people with similar hair quality to yours getting much better density with less grafts. 

I guess this is a cautionnary tale for anyone willing to get HT surgery that the best clinics only show their best results which are exceptionnal per definition. Most of their results will actually look like this.

20 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

What went wrong here , everything looked right post op and you had good hair density. Anyone know why ?

Good question bro. 

I browsed through his thread and like he said himself, the immediate post op are always very deceiving because they give you the impression that you gonna have great density while in reality the blood, scabs, residue from the saline solution make it look much denser than it actually is. 

Very hard to say what weng wrong. Even the best doctors in the world couldn't really tell...

But let's speculate a little bit: 

I don't think he had any condition such as scarring alopecia or lichen planopilaris...

So it could be 

-Poor planning and poor placement.  Not using the optimal harvested hairs to make it look as good as possible. Spacing out the incisions too much etc....There is always an artistry aspect in HT surgery. 

-Poor survival rate due to either some transection  during extraction or simply poor genetic survival capacity of the grafts. Some people are genetically unlucky regardless of the doctor. It can happen sometimes.

I don't think his subpar result is due to his hair quality. His hair quality is average. It's not  thick but it definitely isn't below average... After all 4000 grafts were used just for the hairline. That's a lot.

I really have no idea honestly. Like I say in my posts, HT is always a lottery. 

You have to accept that before you decide to move forward and get it done.

Edited by Unrealistic expectations
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Unrealistic expectations said:

Good question bro. 

I browsed through his thread and like he said himself, the immediate post op are always very deceiving because they give you the impression that you gonna have great density while in reality the blood, scabs, residue from the saline solution make it look much denser than it actually is. 

Very hard to say what weng wrong. Even the best doctors in the world couldn't really tell...

I don't think he had any condition such as scarring alopecia or lichen planopilaris...

So it could be 

-Poor planning and poor placement.  Not using the optimal harvested hairs to make it look as good as possible. Spacing out the incisions too much etc....There is always an artistry aspect in HT surgery. 

-Poor survival rate due to either some transection  during extraction or simply poor genetic survival capacity of the grafts. Some people are genetically unlucky regardless of the doctor. It can happen sometimes.

I don't think his subpar result is due to his hair quality. His hair quality is average. It's not  thick but it definitely isn't below average... After all 4000 grafts were used just for the hairline. That's a lot.

Yes even  his pic without the scabs post two weeks looked really good, and the hair placement looked fine and dense. I think like you said he was just unlucky Which is rare or it’s genetic related 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Unrealistic expectations said:

Good question bro. 

So it could be 

yep I was surprised since this is from HLC, an elite clinic in Turkey.

• Moderators

I don't think anything went wrong. It wasn't just his hairline that was done. The grafts went back into his midscalp. If you look at his before pics he had no hair up front. Then look at his after pics. You can see that entire area is covered. The problem is he has such wet/greasy look in the after pics that is making it look thin. If his hair was dry it would cover so much better.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 3 months later...

Hello guys,

Sorry, I guess I did not pay attention to the emails notifications.

As for the analysis of the result, I can give my humble opinion.

As a matter of fact, I wish I had more density, so I don't think I am delusional about that. Now, when it comes to explaining why I think there are at least two aspects:

1- Point of view: it's impressive how much the way pictures are taken and how light used can make the hair look so good, but also very bad.

2- "Objective" approach: The lack of density is real though. Can't get around that with well taken pictures. Now, my premise is that, if you consider doctors who perform well (which is assumed at HLC) they will pretty much do the same thing all the time, which makes me believe that the difference in results is more about either the point of view mentioned above, or, and more importantly, about the quality of hair and genetics. Actually probably about both. I believe that, generally speaking, the impact of the performance of the doctor on the results is overrated. Of course this could only be true if you stay within the scope of reasonably well reputed doctors and clinics.

Considering you had little coverage from your hairline to midscalp prior to surgery, this is a good result. They murdered your donor though but worth it

But man get some of this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/124936282506?var=426011537692 , will make you look near full coverage NW1 , better than toppik 

Edited by Spring15

Imo you have mild DUPA since in the before pics you could see some of your scalp in the donor area. Then when those hairs were transplanted into areas with much higher DHT activity they minitiaturized at a much quicker rate than they would have if they were left in the donor area.

Don't be so quick to blame the patient, HLC has a track record of poor growth, the evidence is on these very forums themselves if you just do a quick search.

Granted, there are good results as well, I am just saying there has been recent noise about bad results, so perhaps something has changed in the clinic.

Edited by asterix0