How to hide a hair transplant

What are some of the ways (besides always wearing a hat) that folks have his their transplant? 

I’m lucky enough where I can wear a hat to work, but have other situations, like church, special occasions, etc where I couldn’t wear a hat and I don’t want people to know I’ve had anything done. I typically wear my hair on the medium length, so people will know what’s up if I cut it short and try to use concealers like Dermatch, etc.

I’m a NW4 and will need a good amount in the frontal third and I’ve been trying to rack my bald brain about how to get away with hiding it for the first 3-6 months - any tips or tricks of the trade some of you have used? 

IMHO you need to be true to yourself and not let hair define who you are as a person. Hiding it seems dishonest. After 2 weeks everything mostly looks normal besides some residual pink pigmentation on where the hair was implanted, and tbh with you I didn't hide it, and not anyone even asked me if I did a HT and I didn't catch anyone looking. People mind their own business, and they don't care as much as you think, especially not as much as you do. If you are still keen on hiding it, I can't tell you that I know of any way other than a hat and concealers anyway.

Privacy is important to many people.  It is not being dishonest, that's just a way of life.  If you don't anyone to know, disappear for 2 weeks.  Go on a business trip, vacation etc.  The most practical way is to just tell everyone.

Are you doing FUE or FUTFUT easy to hide.  If FUE, work from home.  In two weeks you can just tell people you are trying out new hair styles.  Considering hair grows about 1/2 inch per month, in a matter of 1 month, no one will be able to tell.  

• Thanks 1

With a surgery that big you're pretty much screwed unless you wear a hat all the time.  Best to just laugh off any comments.

Most people haven't a clue about HTs but a few may guess.  It's your life so f'em!  None of their business and who cares what they think.

• Thanks 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

6 hours ago, FuriousGeorge said:

Thanks for your comment - I will probably need to go with FUT with H&W for 4,500. It’s easy enough to take time off/ work from home during the initial period but it’s the ugly duckling phase that concerns me on how to conceal. 

FUT does not have the ugly duckling problem of FUE.  A lot depends on the length of your.  2 weeks out of the limelight is pretty much all you need, unless you buzz your head.  It is really more noticeable to you than other people.  Your hair is not important to them.

• Thanks 1

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Did you already schedule your procedure?...if not, wait and grow your hair out so that post-op you will be able to hide much of the work that is done.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

9 minutes ago, gillenator said:

Did you already schedule your procedure?...if not, wait and grow your hair out so that post-op you will be able to hide much of the work that is done.

Not yet, but want to pull the trigger on it later this year if everything lines up schedule-wise. Good advice, thanks! 

My other thought is to go really short and allow it to grow in together (while using my favorite concealer, Caboki) to help fill in the gaps. 

If it were me, I would favor growing out the surrounding hair option because there would be more hair to cover up the new grafts.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I just posted a video about my first day at work after my FUE HT.

I was really wondering how it will look like, but I decided to be honest and upfront if someone is wondering "why did I shave my head all of the sudden?".

I found it fascinating how much people don't give a damn about you and your head and the only thing they are interested is how much does it cost, how is it done and how they could do it as well (this one was the best! Everyone all of the sudden is sharing their hair loss with me lol!).

After few days, nobody gives a single f**k and carries on with their business... And it makes sense! You are not interested. Everyone is interested in themselves ONLY.

Have a second thought about that!

• Thanks 1

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.