Do hair grow before falling after HT?

Some might continue growing as if nothing happened, some will stall for months and not move and not shed.  But generally most shed at a length of say 5mm, which is whatever the length (in and outside of follicle) was when the HT took place.

The shedding hairs just take time to work their way out and usually this takes around a month of shampooing.  I'm 2 weeks post op and noticed my first sheds today.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

@duchaine yes transplanted hair does grow before the shedding phase or as you say hair fall. I noticed the growth in my transplanted hair before shedding. My shedding started after about 3 weeks.

After the shedding the graft that was implanted goes to sleep for 3 to 4 months and then the hair begins to come through the scalp again.

....Paddy...

9 minutes ago, Lohvisa said:

I am currently past week 3 of my HT and for the last 5 or so days I definitely noticed hairs on my fingers when washing the recipient area or putting minoxidil on it.

But do they hairs grow before shedding?

6 minutes ago, duchaine said:

But do they hairs grow before shedding?

Not all but some should yes, to me like 70% of hair started growing right after ht and they are as long as my normal hair now at week 3, while 30% of hair is still small and not growing at all since HT. It depends if the follicle was too shocked and stopped growing the hair while being outside of body or if it managed and wasn't too shocked and then it just kept on growing when they were implanted again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lohvisa said:

Not all but some should yes, to me like 70% of hair started growing right after ht and they are as long as my normal hair now at week 3, while 30% of hair is still small and not growing at all since HT. It depends if the follicle was too shocked and stopped growing the hair while being outside of body or if it managed and wasn't too shocked and then it just kept on growing when they were implanted again.

what about if 90% is small and not growing? 

This tends to get confusing for some.  Particularly when the word "shedding" is used.

The true aspect of shedding applies to all of us. The follicle gets tired of producing hair and goes into a resting period.  3-4 months later the hair returns.  This will happen randomly throughout our lives to each hair on our heads.  That's shedding.

At the time of the transplant the doctor is using a very sharp instrument.  He may inadvertently cut some of the surrounding native hair.  He is just giving you a haircut. The native hair will continue growing.  No shedding is involved.

At the time of the transplant, the recipient site is made and the follicle is inserted.  The follicle will always have a very short hair attached which is what the clinical staff needs to transport the graft into the "new home." The blood, and there is always some, will dry up.  This is when the crusts forms.  At 7-10 days you are asked to start washing.  It is during this gentle massaging action that we lose the crusts - and also the hair that came with the graft.  This is not shedding. 

Sometimes, after washing, the hair remains and continues growing.  This just means you're ahead of everyone else by 3-4 months.

3-4 months later the grafted hair starts coming in. Vellus-like at the beginning.  The shaft of the hair will mature/thicken during the first year.  Once it matures, it will have the same quality of the hair we all enjoy in the donor area as this is where the hair came from. This hair, by the way, still "thinks" it's in the donor and will behave as such when you consider shedding. If it sheds, it will return.

• Like 2