Do Hair Growth Supplements Work?

Forum Poll  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Administrators

I'd like to hear from the community. Do you guys think that hair supplements like Biotin, Folic acid work? 

Do Hair Growth Supplements Work?

hair growth.jpg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It's not as simple as that.  I think Biotin does help the hair look healthy.  Does it help with retention? NO.  

There are certain shampoos out there that contain vitamins. Does that count? No, they don't help with retention, but can make the hair look better, healthy, etc.

And, during what phase are we talking? For bleeders there is vitamin K.  Expensive but can help.

I'm sure there are great examples out there.....

When you are genetically hard wired to lose hair, supplements are not going to do anything to prevent/change that,  even more so when you look at the quality and at the recommended dosages of most supplements out there. Ultimately like trying to fix a crack in a dam with a band aid imo. Yes may help anything you still have on your head look healthier but won't stop it from miniaturising and eventually dying.  

After a HT or alongside medication, think they can definitely aid in getting the most out of your hair.

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

When you are genetically hard wired to lose hair, supplements are not going to do anything to prevent/change that,  even more so when you look at the quality and at the recommended dosages of most supplements out there. Ultimately like trying to fix a crack in a dam with a band aid imo. Yes may help anything you still have on your head look healthier but won't stop it from miniaturising and eventually dying.  

After a HT or alongside medication, think they can definitely aid in getting the most out of your hair.

My thoughts exactly. What are your thoughts with using them in conjunction to fin and min?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

After my first transplant I didn't take anything and after three years I lost a lot of transplanted hair, now, I want and I have to follow the advice of the clinic, I take biotin, multivitamins and 1 gram of finasteride every morning.  We'll see

Define “work.” Many claim supplements like biotin msm silica etc can help the hair grow faster or healthier. If you’re asking if they stop mpb then chances are no. If the supplements can not decrease dht levels or affect prostaglandins per newest research on mpb, then they are likely not doing anything to help mpb.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Curious said:

Try pumpkin seed oil.  There's a legitimate study out there that states it helps reduce hair loss.

I use pumpkin seed oil, I can't say I notice any hair benefits yet, but definitely good for lowering DHT at least somewhat. 

View my thread

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I use pumpkin seed oil, I can't say I notice any hair benefits yet, but definitely good for lowering DHT at least somewhat. 

I’m sure you’ve stated this previously, but what else do you take/use? I know you don’t use fin. How about minox? Any other supplements? 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, yesplease said:

I’m sure you’ve stated this previously, but what else do you take/use? I know you don’t use fin. How about minox? Any other supplements? 

I use lipogaine minoxidil, pumpkin seed oil, folic acid (just for hair strength), and I will be adding microneedling to the mix. I have seen that microneedling really works, I just haven't found the time to actually start and do it. I think those type of treatments require some discipline and consistency. I look at it like working out, which I haven't been doing as much either. 

View my thread