Are there any new surgical superstars in hair loss as of 2019

Hello all, it has been a while. I was supposed to get surgery a while back, but I was in a bad car accident and everything got postponed. Now I am looking at the forums again and it seems like I am seeing many of the same names, and even their posting volume is down. Some questions for you fine folk:

Is hair restoration surgery becoming less popular?

Are there any new surgeon standouts? Have the 'holy trinity' or 'magnificent seven' changed at all? Couto, Freitas, Konior, Cooley, Feriduni, Lorenzo, Gabel etc.

Is FUT vs FUE still even debated or have we finally settled on this?

Sounds like you’re not missing much since you’ve been gone. There’s a lot of Indian clinic marketing and dueling going on here. Also spex had a falling out with the forum after dr hasson made a comment directed towards him which was later deleted by a mod. Consider yourself caught up lol

• Like 1

• Administrators

FUTvsFUE has settled on both combined are always better than one vs the other. That’s a strong list, but there are other excellent surgeons. Dr. Shapiro, Hasson and Wong, Dr. Diep, Dr. Mohebi, Dr. Feriduni, just to name a few.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

Hair restoration hasn’t gotten less popular, but I think a large portion of guys get duped in to Instagram as their main source of research. Instagram has become the new television. So, essentially they’re choosing doctors based on commercials rather than genuine patient results and reviews, dangerous to say tge least.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Nice topic to discuss.  Essentially, nothing has changed. The reality is, if you've never been interested in hair restoration, you will not even become aware it is available.  If you do become interested, get ready for a headache and a lot of upcoming research.  Here is where the problem lies.  Most will decide to move forward with a local doctor because of the convenience and others will be prompted by cost. Let the lower price win, (and no research).  So,, the story as always, hair restoration, overall, is a bad thing.

Can you believe that there are still people out there that think that hair restoration still involves plugs?  Tons of them.

Then came FUT, Minigrafts, Micrografts, follicular units, FUE, ARTAS, etc......Scar-less procedures, and it goes on and on.  Try to avoid the spinning consultants and doctors will give you.  Have things advanced? Sure.  Is it better now?  I think so.  Something to consider, however, is the experience of the doctor.  How many times have I heard, "Pioneer, 50 years experience...etc."  The fact is, if you been doing it wrong all your life, I don't care if you came up with the idea of transplanting, you are still bad.

Seldom do we talk about ongoing education.  The ISHRS does help in this regard but there is only a handful of doctors that are members. And this, in itself, does not mean that the attending doctors are learning anything.  Sometimes these visits are only for show.  You would think, since we are talking about protecting people, that a license to do transplants would be required. The fact is, a doctor can go to a local library, read up on hair restoration and can start doing procedures the very next day.  Why do you think so many enter the arena? Eventually all of this hurts the industry and the doctors that are true masters at the craft. (How does this happen?  Price).

Research, research, research, PLEASE.

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Can you believe that there are still people out there that think that hair restoration still involves plugs?  Tons of them.

Some of the reason for this is because these are the ones you see. If a hair transplant is done correctly these days it isn't "seen" by anyone and they don't know you had a hair transplant. The only ones most people ever really see are the bad ones. Take me, for example. Anyone I meet can tell I had a bad hair transplant with a pluggy hairline and pluggy grafts all over (although that look is diminishing since I've been putting chest and beard grafts between them) with visible scars due to the old method of creating a new scar for each strip procedure rather than using the same scar as they do now. So my bad, plug hair transplant is the one seen today. Nobody meeting me knows I had it done 30 years ago, so of course they think this is the current method.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

6 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Some of the reason for this is because these are the ones you see. If a hair transplant is done correctly these days it isn't "seen" by anyone and they don't know you had a hair transplant. The only ones most people ever really see are the bad ones. Take me, for example. Anyone I meet can tell I had a bad hair transplant with a pluggy hairline and pluggy grafts all over (although that look is diminishing since I've been putting chest and beard grafts between them) with visible scars due to the old method of creating a new scar for each strip procedure rather than using the same scar as they do now. So my bad, plug hair transplant is the one seen today. Nobody meeting me knows I had it done 30 years ago, so of course they think this is the current method.

Thanks for that, I had not considered it. You are absolutely right.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I hope you get the issue fixed. True&Dorin are fantastic surgeons. How’s the BHT looking? 

View my thread