My review of Dr Wong from Hasson and Wong.

Drew35

I have decided to have my hair transplant done by Dr Wong of Hasson and Wong in May.

I am a Norwood 6 and have been losing my hair since the age of 19.

After coming home from Army Basic Training, with a buzz cut, I noticed that my hairline was receeding. As I started to grow my hair out I noticed it was falling out.

I currently have my own busiess and have worn a hat everyday for the last 11 years.

I was using Rogaine, but Dr Wong has asked me stop in order prevent excessive bleeding during surgery.

I have now started on Proscar.

Here are my before photos.

FrontHair.jpg

BackHair.jpg

LeftHair.jpg

RightHair.jpg

TopPhoto.jpg

-

1st Transplant: 5,485 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

2nd Transplant: 3,100 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

3rd Transplant: 5,035 grafts with Dr Sanusi Umar

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have decided to have my hair transplant done by Dr Wong of Hasson and Wong in May.

I am a Norwood 6 and have been losing my hair since the age of 19.

After coming home from Army Basic Training, with a buzz cut, I noticed that my hairline was receeding. As I started to grow my hair out I noticed it was falling out.

I currently have my own busiess and have worn a hat everyday for the last 11 years.

I was using Rogaine, but Dr Wong has asked me stop in order prevent excessive bleeding during surgery.

I have now started on Proscar.

Here are my before photos.

FrontHair.jpg

BackHair.jpg

LeftHair.jpg

RightHair.jpg

TopPhoto.jpg

-

Good luck Drew. You pick a great doctor. I am not sure about the Proscar though, since your hair loss is so extensive

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Good luck . Your going to probably need 3 surgeries but your donor looks pretty good.

You might have started going bald at 19 but by the start of 2013 you should be looking much much better.

Good to see they could get you in so early .

I always though they were booked for months out.

Did you get a cancellation date.

Latin I think hes on proscar to try and prevent those lateral humps from receding down further.

Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:

Good luck . Your going to probably need 3 surgeries but your donor looks pretty good.

You might have started going bald at 19 but by the start of 2013 you should be looking much much better.

Good to see they could get you in so early .

I always though they were booked for months out.

Did you get a cancellation date.

Latin I think hes on proscar to try and prevent those lateral humps from receding down further.

Yeah that's correct I am on Proscar to prevent the further recession to Norwood 7. My Father and Great-Grandfather(on my Mother's side) are both Norwood 7.

Hasson and Wong are booked up for months.

They had a cancellation and were able to get me in.

Dr Wong is a great guy!

-

Drew,

Congratulations, you're in great hands! From the excellent pictures you've decided to share (WAY TO GO) it looks as if you have ample and healthy donor hair, so I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with some Bobman results.

I look forward to your story. All the best and remember, it's a process that requires patience. Unfortunately, we haven't found a way to speed up the clock.

UNC

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

Originally posted by uncjim:

Drew,

Congratulations, you're in great hands! From the excellent pictures you've decided to share (WAY TO GO) it looks as if you have ample and healthy donor hair, so I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with some Bobman results.

I look forward to your story. All the best and remember, it's a process that requires patience. Unfortunately, we haven't found a way to speed up the clock.

UNC

Thanks UNC!

Your fantastic results was one contributing factor to my choice of Dr Wong! icon_smile.gif

-

Bobmans only come along once every so often .

Im confident though that after your second surgery grows out youll be much happier then you are now.

Also nice that you can wear a hat at work because this is a long process

Glad to see you got a cancellation.

One thing that sucked when I was first researching all the top clinics was that they were all booked for months.

Good thing you got lucky as Im quite sure you got a drastic discount because of this.

I will give clinics credit that offer travel and huge discounts for taking a cancellation date.

Once again good luck and yes Jerry seems like a great guy

drew, not sure why you're starting proscar before surgery. you do realize you will need to go off of it as well, right? you should probably just start it post-op. also, you are going to one of the best clinics in the world, but as pgp has already suggested, you may want to plan for future surgeries as it will be tough to achieve both density and coverage with your amount of loss. best of luck to you!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hairthere. We HIGHLY recommend patients start Proscar as early as possible before surgery to save every hair possible. Rogaine is the one that we ask patients not to take before surgery.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

drew, not sure why you're starting proscar before surgery. you do realize you will need to go off of it as well, right?

Hairthere,

Where did you hear this? This is incorrect. Proscar contains finasteride just like Propecia. I haven't met one doctor that recommends coming off of finasteride for surgery. Yuo may be confusing this with minoxidil.

Best wishes,

Bill

Drew,

Good luck with your surgery. Although it matters little, judging from all of the pictures I have seen on this website and others, I believe Dr. Wong to be one of the best in the world. I do have a few questions for you though.

1. How old are you right now?

2. What are your long term goals with regards to coverage, density, etc.?

Drew I wanted to say Im sorry for calling you a fool a week ago when you said you want Dr Wong to split your grafts .

Its your head and I understand you were so hurt that you notified HW about this name I called you .

I want to apologize publicly for this. Your no fool . I just thought it was a silly statement .

drew

with the degree of loss you have i would start out by concentrating most of the grafts in the hairline then fade back to the beginning of crown. many times patients spread the grafts across the whole area & are unhappy until they get 2nd ht. you will still need 2nd ht down the road. then you can decide whether it is worth putting grafts in crown. the hairline & top are the #1 priority.

good luck you have picked a great doctor.

rtc

Originally posted by Jotronic:

Hairthere. We HIGHLY recommend patients start Proscar as early as possible before surgery to save every hair possible. Rogaine is the one that we ask patients not to take before surgery.

That's what I thought. LOL! icon_smile.gif

-

Originally posted by TC17:

Drew,

Good luck with your surgery. Although it matters little, judging from all of the pictures I have seen on this website and others, I believe Dr. Wong to be one of the best in the world. I do have a few questions for you though.

1. How old are you right now?

2. What are your long term goals with regards to coverage, density, etc.?

I am 36.

My long term goals are full coverage.

I hoping my first surgery with Dr Wong he is able to get more than 5,000 grafts and concentrate on the hairline, temples, and top.

I will address the crown in the second surgery.

If the donor allows I will probably have 3 or 4 total surgeries.

But I do want my first session to be as aggressive as possible.

-

Drew I wanted to say Im sorry for calling you a fool a week ago when you said you want Dr Wong to split your grafts .

Its your head and I understand you were so hurt that you notified HW about this name I called you .

I want to apologize publicly for this. Your no fool . I just thought it was a silly statement .

Apology accepted. There is no reason we can't all get along.

I would like Dr Wong to split grafts for me.

I believe doing this will give me a denser look because their lateral slit incision give a "shingle" effect to the hair and to me it looks thicker.

I will see what Dr Wong has to say the day of surgery.

What you wrote to me happened a week ago and you have seemed to not be letting your emotions get the best of you anymore.

No need to make this personal.

-

Originally posted by Reverse the Curse:

drew

with the degree of loss you have i would start out by concentrating most of the grafts in the hairline then fade back to the beginning of crown. many times patients spread the grafts across the whole area & are unhappy until they get 2nd ht. you will still need 2nd ht down the road. then you can decide whether it is worth putting grafts in crown. the hairline & top are the #1 priority.

good luck you have picked a great doctor.

rtc

That's the plan. icon_smile.gif

I love what they did for Bobman so we shall see how my donor turns out.

If Dr Wong has a little extra for the temples that would be great, also!

We can save the crown for the next surgery,

-

Guest wanthairs

DREW35

I had a similar level of loss that you have but 6 months post op with Dr Hasson I look dramatically different.

You chose probably the best place to get the widest strip, now make sure you go crazy doing scalp exercises to get the best result possible.

Surgeons have also devoted more attention to the angle and orientation of the transplanted grafts. The adoption of the ???lateral slit??? technique in the early 2000s, enabled hair transplant surgeons to orient 2 to 4 hair follicular unit grafts so that they splay out across the scalp's surface. This enabled the transplanted hair to lie better on the scalp and provide better coverage to the bald areas. One disadvantage however, is that lateral incisions also tend to disrupt the scalps vascularity more than sagittals. Thus sagittal incisions transect less hairs and blood vessels assuming the cutting instruments are of the same size. One of the big advantages of sagittals is that they do a much better job of sliding in and around existing hairs to avoid follicle transection. This certainly makes a strong case for physicians who do not require shaving of the recipient area. The lateral incisions bisect existing hairs perpendicular (horizontal) like a T while sagittal incisions run parallel (vertical) alongside and in between existing hairs. The use of perpendicular (lateral/coronal) slits versus parallel (sagittal) slits however, has been heavily debated on patient based hair transplant communities. Many elite hair transplant surgeons typically adopt a combination of both methods depending on what is best for the patient.

See Drew if you ask Dr Wong to use only 1s and 2s you defeat the main purpose for the lateral slit and how the 3s and 4s fan out

With you being completely bald youll be ok but if you had native hair I would say sagital is the way to go. Less transection Dont ask the doctor to do anything leave it in his court to decide.

Oh yeah I also agree with RTC I saw a guy named Old Baldie that went to HW and requested the hair be spread out and he was extremely disappointed. I tried to show you his links but they are all gone off all sites.

Dont even think about the crown

Glad to see you got a cancellation.

One thing that sucked when I was first researching all the top clinics was that they were all booked for months.

Good thing you got lucky as Im quite sure you got a drastic discount because of this.

I imagine things have slowed a little this past year in the hair transplant biz as well as most everything else has.

Hell, I've got a client who owns a funeral home and he was complaining his business is down 15% as well!

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Drew,

Thanks for your response. I only ask because I'm curious as to the approach Dr. Wong is taking with someone who has such severe hair loss at a young age and a family history of Norwood 7's. How confident was Dr. Wong that your hair loss will stabilize and that you will be able to achieve your goals even with multiple sessions? (I ask not because I wish to scare you, but rather because I have the fear that I will one day be at your level, and would hate to have an exposed scar or other similar problems)