My review of Dr Wong from Hasson and Wong.

Drew35

Good luck Drew. You are going to an awesome surgeon. You have lots of acreage to fill and it's good to hear you have a plan with this HT journey. Like others have said you will need several sessions, which won't be all that fun. But you own your own business and can wear a hat, so your downtime will be minimal!!

Keep us updated!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by TC17:

Drew,

Thanks for your response. I only ask because I'm curious as to the approach Dr. Wong is taking with someone who has such severe hair loss at a young age and a family history of Norwood 7's. How confident was Dr. Wong that your hair loss will stabilize and that you will be able to achieve your goals even with multiple sessions? (I ask not because I wish to scare you, but rather because I have the fear that I will one day be at your level, and would hate to have an exposed scar or other similar problems)

If the Proscar doesn't control the hair loss and I go to a Norwood 7, and Dr Wong maxes out my donor, then I would go to another clinic for FUE or body hair transplants to make it thicker.

I just started to use the Proscar so I might get a little thicker in the lower crown and sides, also.

Also with the fantastic concealers these days it would give me time to make that decision if it comes to that a few years down the line. icon_smile.gif

-

1st Transplant: 5,485 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

2nd Transplant: 3,100 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

3rd Transplant: 5,035 grafts with Dr Sanusi Umar

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:

No problem Drew but if the lateral slit helps shingle when someones looking at you from the front what happens when you turn to the side. icon_smile.gif

There are other reasons why they use it .

Did you see the link Bill provided of Dr Shapiro and Dr Wong. I saw no difference

I didn't see a difference in the hairlines, but Hasson and Wong's hair looked thicker and more dense to me.

My belief is that is due to the lateral slits making that "shingle" effect.

-

1st Transplant: 5,485 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

2nd Transplant: 3,100 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

3rd Transplant: 5,035 grafts with Dr Sanusi Umar

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

i dont want to rain on anyones parade but what happens in case you develop unwanted sideeffects from propecia and you have to stop it?

will your scar remain beyond the limit of the nw7 area just in case, what did dr.wong say?

Why you dont try first propecia for a year to make sure you handle it well and then decide on a surgery?

should we believe everything?

He has to try it as Ive seen alot of guys receded way down on the lateral humps and much further down the back.

If he loses all this he may end up regretting this choice .

Hopefully he wont have too many side effects because having more hair and impotent is worse then being bald and ready to go

Yes being almost a 7 hes taking a huge chance but its what he wants so I wish him luck. Im sure they will have a game plan for the worst scenarios though

I agree with the try propecia for a year but its too late now hes booked next month

Drew,

Given the shape of your head, I think that a conservative hairline will make a tremendous difference in your overall look. Jotronic was a NW6 that went to Dr. Wong and he got great results. Keep in mind that everyone is different and his head may be smaller with less ground to cover, so you may not be able to get the same coverage.

I think your case underscores the need for the finest follicular unit grafting as the work will be visible from all sides.

If you do not go too agressive in the hairline or tempples, 4500+ grafts may be enough for you to consider yourself "finished". With a large first session and a good design, you can have a mature hairline that eliminates the bald look.

When it grows out you will notice it will have a positive impact on your appearance. You dont have to go back for a second, and I wouldnt necessarily plan for it. I would recommend getting a design that will stand on its own.

Good luck.

One disadvantage however, is that lateral incisions also tend to disrupt the scalps vascularity more than sagittals.

This is just not true. Given the same size blade, lateral slit will create a smaller incision.

I have heard that saggital allows less risk of transecting native hair, but it is not because of less scalp trauma.

Given Drew's extensive hair loss and completely bald areas, I see no reason why he would have to use Propecia for a year before considering a hair transplant. Propecia very rarely (if ever) grows hair in completely bald areas. But if he starts taking it today, it may help him preserve the remaining hair he has.

Best wishes in restoring your hair Drew. You've selected an excellent surgeon. I believe Dr. Wong will do what's in your best interest.

Bill

See Drew if you ask Dr Wong to use only 1s and 2s you defeat the main purpose for the lateral slit and how the 3s and 4s fan out

With you being completely bald youll be ok but if you had native hair I would say sagital is the way to go.

Drew35,

This is just not true. I havent paid much attention to his posts until recently, but it appears that PGP is full of incorrect information.

Please get your information from the doctors and choose based upon track results working on patients like yourself. I think you made the right decision with Dr. Wong. He has successfully converted more difficult NW6 than any other doctor. A random poster on the web should ABSOLUTELY NOT influence your surgical plan.

I didnt write this Bernstein did

How does the same size blade create a smaller incision? I dont know thats why Im asking

First off, you didnt ask, you told the OP that sagital creates less trauma. Now you are back pedalling to make it appear a question. ?

The incision is angled so the area of intersection is considerably less when it is lateral.

If this doesnt make sense, call H&W and ask Jotronic.

Bill, can I block posters from showing up in my browser?

Please Grow Please,

You are correct. But do understand that doctors take into consideration future hair loss and the very real possibility that he may progress to a level norwood 7.

That said, patients with such advanced hair loss shouldn't expect a full hair restoration transformation from front to back with a great deal of density.

I trust Dr. Wong will keep plenty of available donor to attack areas of further regression if necessary. Of course, any patient, especially with advanced hair loss should be aware that subsequent sessions may be necessary. Realistic goals should always be developed and maintained throughout any patient's journey.

Bill

PGP,

There is some truth to what you are saying. Here is a post by Pat (the owner of this site) on this very subject. Dr. Shapiro explained it this way to Pat:

Sagital vs. Lateral

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Sorry if the docs site misinformed me but Im not so sure your right .

Asking a clinic consultant who represents the doctors that came up with the lateral is like asking hairmax rep if it grows hair,.

Maybe a DOCTOR can chime in so we can all be informed.

I asked you to explain since your saying the site that gave me this info is wrong.

Below I provided an excerpt of my summary of the topic of Coronals verses Sagitals from the Annual 2008 ISHRS Scientific Meeting in Montreal

Perpendicular incisions (commonly referred to as the "lateral slit technique" or coronal incisions) have a number of cited advantages such as maximizing the shingling effect of the follicular units, increased dense packing, and optimizing angulation control of the hair from the scalp. However, as Coalition members Dr. Jerry Wong and Dr. Thomas Nakatsui pointed out in their presentation, there are a few complications to overcome with this technique.

While parallel (sagital) incisions slide easily in and out between existing hairs, perpendicular (coronal/lateral) incisions increase the risk to transect existing hair if a surgeon is not extremely careful and accurate. Additionally, perpendicular incisions also tend to disrupt the scalps vasculature more than parallel incisions. Thus parallel incisions transect less hairs and blood vessels, assuming the same size blade. Disrupting the scalps vasculature can lead to an increased risk of avascular necrosis (a disease resulting from temporary or permanent loss of the bloody supply to the bones).

Both Dr. Wong and Dr. Nakatsui noted that minimizing these risks include to avoid dense packing in areas of poor vasculature and to avoid making incisions too deep.

Best wishes,

Bill

Important Moderator Note: Please Read

There have been some very lively debates lately, some of which unfortunately quickly turned into grunge matches due to a few members problems in controlling their anger. As a result, I've had to remove some very insulting and antagonistic posts from a few members. Why everyone is getting so emotional lately, I don't know, although I did look outside the other day and realized it was a full moon.

I want to remind everyone that this is Drew's thread and we ought to be providing support and encouragement to him as he gets ready for surgery. Many members posed some respectful concerns about the highly potential progression of his hair loss. While these concerns are valid and certainly worth discussing on this thread, there are those of you who've resorted to insults and other destructive comments.

Frankly, I've just about had it with those of you who quickly resort to insulting one another and trying to tear one another down, especially with unsubstantiated opinions.

Therefore, from now on, anyone who does this will have their post removed with a private warning, and if repeated, will be suspended for a week. Once reinstated, if it repeats itself, the member(s) will be banned permanently. This new rule goes for not only this thread, but all future posts.

These insulting posts are destructive in nature and turns people away from this community. I'm asking one more time, that if people want to debate with one another, do it with respect for others.

See also Keeping Personal Insults Off our Forum.

Regards,

Bill

Drew, best of luck with your upcoming surgery with Dr. Wong. Judging from your doctor's track record, you'll be in perfect hands.

What date in May are you booked for? I'll be having surgery on May 7th with Dr. Rahal, so you and I might be going through this whole experience simultaneously!

I know its drew head and i want to be supportive on his decision but there are some concerns in this case that we dont get an answer we just hear "i am sure they have a plan if he turns nw7"...

What i am asking is what this plan is?Does it include the strip being taken further down the nw7 area because i have never seen a strip going down the nw7 area!I know the patient will start propecia for maintaining the sides but what happens IN CASE he has side effects and needs to stop it?the donor will thin and the hairloss will progress will the scar still be invisible in that case?

Wouldnt the safest road be to try propecia for some time to see that he handles it well?

Drew i am sorry mate for being so concernfull and raising these issues but you are about to start a long journey and you are plannign on three to four surgeries based on the fact that propecia will save your donor since your family history is w7...it would be far easier to say good luck and dont worry and such...propably a response from the clinic about the plan would put enquiring minds at ease

honestly am i the only one that sees a flaw in this plan because i see most here are just supportive. if drew plans on full coverage with 3 to 4 surgeries on a donor that he knows that will end up on the nw7 scale isnt it just logical to first stay on the drug for some time to see how he handles it... how he responds to it for heavens shake, just because there is an opening he has to rushed into it???I am starting to feel like an alien lol(PGP where is our spaceship?)

should we believe everything?

My spaceship got shot down yesterday so Im just here to support now.

These last two controversial threads really remind me of when I was so attracted to this girl in high school.

I came up with this idea to play piano and sing a song to the girl in our schools talent show. It was her favorite song at the time according to her friends

Everyone laughed at me and called me crazy but in the end it was enough for little freshman PGP to swoop up this beautiful junior and win the talent show

Hopeful Ill give you something to laugh at me about and no Drew Im not in love with you but do wish you luck bud. The entire silly song reminds me of some of my posts lately hahaha

Listen to at least first 2 minutes hopeful and then after you get done laughing inside youll see why I only want to support now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op0kr3MU0Jo

"Bobmans only come along once every so often."

so true, its not talked about enough IMO... to often guys are inspired by the bobmans and the nicnitros not fully understanding they are by far and away the EXCEPTION, not the rule...

the truth of the matter is after drews 3+ procedures nobody has any clue what his results will be. we dont have any clue if/when he will go NW7 either...

hopefull- your not the only one who sees flaws in this plan, your just part of the minority.. to bad the minority are usually the only ones who use logic and their BRAIN, instead of wishes and prayers stemming from their own desparation to beat a foe thats unbeatable for 99% of us

PGP-- very funny link.

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

to bad the minority are usually the only ones who use logic and their BRAIN, instead of wishes and prayers stemming from their own desparation to beat a foe thats unbeatable for 99% of us

Swagger,

So you're telling me that you can't share your opinion without insulting others?

Consider this warning 1.

Hopeful,

I think some of your concerns are valid. Everyone fears (or should at least consider) what will happen in the event they lose more hair. This is part of long term strategic planning.

Logic suggests that Dr. Wong and the patient will first talk about the patient's short term and long term goals and then develop a long term plan suitable to the patient's needs and situation. Most likely, Dr. Wong will take as long and wide as a strip as possible in the universal safe zone and work to restore as much hair in the frontal core and beyond as possible, creating a nice natural transition between the new hair and the bald areas. Meanwhile, logic suggests Dr. Wong will leave plenty of donor hair in reserve for the possibility of subsequent work.

Propecia usually starts working right away to prevent future loss. It's in the patient's best interest to take it.

Part of any long term hair restoration plan is considering all the future possibilities and then being able to adjust as necessary. If the patient loses more hair at the humps, there should be a contingent plan and goals constantly reassessed.

There is no perfect hair restoration plan when hair loss is progressive and unpredictable. I gather from those who constantly share their concerns about hair transplant surgery are looking for one.

But if everyone stayed away from hair transplantation because they very well may lose more hair, then everyone would be bald. Given all the miraculous transformations out there, I suspect that most formerly bald guy regrets their decision.

Again, careful planning, safety, flexibility, and action make up for a good hair restoration plan. I have full faith that Dr. Wong, among other top leading surgeons provide this for their patients.

Bill

Dr. Wong is one of the more conservative doctors from a hairline perspective and he is able to do very large sessions.

If a high norwood patient is going to go to any doctor, it should be Dr. Wong.

I am having a hard time understanding the criticisms in this thread. I understand the need for a conservative approach, but the detractors werent in the consultation and dont know what was said or planned.

I doubt he is going to get anything close to an Armani hairline, and whatever is planted will probably look appropriate, even if there is greater loss around the sides.

Good luck drew.