Wearing helmet after HT

At 11 days post -op all the scabs from grafts in recipient area should be gone and you are safe to wear a helmet. I have had patients in a similar position and some chose to wear a thin cap under the helmet for a few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

At 11 days post -op all the scabs from grafts in recipient area should be gone and you are safe to wear a helmet. I have had patients in a similar position and some chose to wear a thin cap under the helmet for a few weeks. 

Thanks

• Administrators

To be honest, I wouldn’t risk it. I mean you’re probably fine, but why even risk it. That’s my opinion.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

13 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

To be honest, I wouldn’t risk it. I mean you’re probably fine, but why even risk it. That’s my opinion.

Because I have to work haha

how long would you suggest I leave it?

• Administrators

Personally, until the grafts have shed. Obviously, I’m a patient myself, so it’s just my paranoid cautious side speaking. You’ll probably be fine as Dr. Charles mentioned. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yeah, I tend to lay on the more cautious side as well and would suggest 2 weeks (so an additional 3 days).

Looks like this specific question was discussed on real self (link ) with the majority of surgeons agreeing with Dr. Charles while a few more conservatively said to wait a month.

What kind of helmet is it?  11 days is probably fine but might be cutting it a little close.  I think it matters some how tight the helmet is and how much it rubs when coming on/off, and how often you do that.  Does it get sweaty under there?

You haven't mentioned if you are having FUT or FUE.

After 11 days you will be lucky if all your crusts have fallen off unless you force them off when washing your scalp. It can take upto 14 days to be scab free.

If you are going down the FUE route then a tight fitting helmet will cause you irritation in both the donor and recipient areas, it will be uncomfortable for you.

If you are going down the FUT path then it's probably wise to fully heal up before wearing the helmet. If you reopen the wound you could be looking at a bad scar.  Also it is likely you will experience similar discomfort in the recipient zone.

If you must wear a helmet, see if you can wear one a few sizes up and underneath wear a bandana to protect your scalp (possible use aloe vera/other anti-irritant cream too) and pad your oversized helmet until it fits snug.

Edited by Shera