donor area

• Administrators

It can take a full year, but honestly your donor looks fine to me, you’re definitely not in the “sweet spot” in terms of length. Try to either grow it out longer or cut it shorter.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hey Melvin,

thanks for the quick reply.

the last picture is right after my first haircut (not included the ones i did to myself). it was about a month ago.

today someone took my picture from behind and it didn't look good in my opinion, the picture is blurry so i will try to take another one.

• Administrators

That’s because hair looks the thinnest at a #2 guard. Try cutting to a 1/2 guard or #1. Trust me length not only makes a difference on the top, but in the donor as well. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

You also have really curly hair that tends to clump together, your donor looks absolutely fine and no one would look twice at it.

View my thread

Things will look much better after 3-5 months from now...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Really hope so, thanks Melivin, thanks gillenator.

using derma roller on crown area for almost a month. should i keep using it or just leave the scalp alone?

don't want to harm the area beneath the thin area of the crown.

what do you guys think?

I got some discoloration on my forehead, maybe because of the sun. i'm guessing from years of wearing hats.

I want to treat that, but i don't want to use all kind of chemicals, do you guys have any idea?

does it a good idea to use 0.5 mm derma roller on the forehead, won't it harm the hairline or the skin near the hairline?

20180927_165009.jpg

20180927_165107.jpg

WOW, some of you guys analyze day by day.  I don't see that you have a problem.  I am 2.5 weeks post op and my biggest concern is when my donor area will grow out so I don't have this silly haircut.  I'll talk to you in about 4-6 months.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

IMHO, the derma roller is fine to use if you feel and see an improvement.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 9/25/2018 at 2:45 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

That’s because hair looks the thinnest at a #2 guard. Try cutting to a 1/2 guard or #1. Trust me length not only makes a difference on the top, but in the donor as well. 

Hey Melvin

Is your advice aplicable to someone who is way beyond their recovery, with a fully healed donor area? Or is this just for the ugly duckling?

Re Donor hair cut you’re essentially saying to either go REALLY short or let it grow out ao that it covers the area, correct? as opposed to the middle ground 1-2 months post op) where it still kinda looks sparse ?

is there any healing benefit to growing the donor out post procedure?

• Administrators
6 hours ago, HarryHonolulu said:

Hey Melvin

Is your advice aplicable to someone who is way beyond their recovery, with a fully healed donor area? Or is this just for the ugly duckling?

Re Donor hair cut you’re essentially saying to either go REALLY short or let it grow out ao that it covers the area, correct? as opposed to the middle ground 1-2 months post op) where it still kinda looks sparse ?

is there any healing benefit to growing the donor out post procedure?

No this is applicable for anyone who’s had an FUE. In fact, I always try and keep my donor around a #1 on the sides. Once it grows to about a #3 it doesn’t look as full, plus it looks sloppier to me, a fresh fade also boosts the appearance of fullness on the top.

View my thread

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

No this is applicable for anyone who’s had an FUE. In fact, I always try and keep my donor around a #1 on the sides. Once it grows to about a #3 it doesn’t look as full, plus it looks sloppier to me, a fresh fade also boosts the appearance of fullness on the top.

Thanks Melvin.is there any benefit to growing out the donor area during the recovery.? Does it help with density and healing?