donor area

• Administrators
1 hour ago, HarryHonolulu said:

Thanks Melvin.is there any benefit to growing out the donor area during the recovery.? Does it help with density and healing?

No there is no benefit, in my opinion and this is just my opinion growing your donor hair after an FUE defeats the whole purpose of having an FUE, the sole purpose for patients to go with FUE is to be able to wear their hair short.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

No there is no benefit, in my opinion and this is just my opinion growing your donor hair after an FUE defeats the whole purpose of having an FUE, the sole purpose for patients to go with FUE is to be able to wear their hair short.

Righto

but as we discussed in private it seems that it’s better to go with a buzz cut or grow the donor out for a while - as opposed to keeping a short style that shows the thinning area in the donor 

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Righto

but as we discussed in private it seems that it’s better to go with a buzz cut or grow the donor out for a while - as opposed to keeping a short style that shows the thinning area in the donor 

• Administrators

I think you misunderstood or maybe I misunderstood your ques, to clarify in my opinion buzz cut all day. Growing it out long while would disguise any thinning, would look awful while waiting for the top to grow, keep everything uniform short. That’s what i did. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

12 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I think you misunderstood or maybe I misunderstood your ques, to clarify in my opinion buzz cut all day. Growing it out long while would disguise any thinning, would look awful while waiting for the top to grow, keep everything uniform short. That’s what i did. 

Ok so basically buzz cut for 3 months and then when the top grows (around month 4-6 let the back grow so that it all evens out?

im assuming once you have 100% growth in the recipient you can let everything grow out and it will look good 

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, HarryHonolulu said:

Ok so basically buzz cut for 3 months and then when the top grows (around month 4-6 let the back grow so that it all evens out?

im assuming once you have 100% growth in the recipient you can let everything grow out and it will look good 

I stopped buzzing my head around the 4th month. Yes once you have growth you can let everything grow out all at once, but keep in mind the donor will always be fuller and denser than the recipient, so if you let it grow too long the top will start to look thinner because of the contrast. Also, before i did my crown i blended the donor up to the crown so it wouldn’t look as thin. It’s all about eliminating contrast. 

Cutrently, I keep my sides at a # 1 ive found this makes my donor look best ane my top look fuller. 

View my thread

It's always best to wait a full 12 months because you want to have the caliber maturation along with the regrowth.

SMP works well for most individuals in the donor area if it looks thin after having FUE.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 9/30/2018 at 7:05 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I never thought of it that way.  I never wear my hair short, but I guess I was misinformed and thought FUE was better than FUT.  I think FUT is much easier so I would probably go back to FUT if I do have my crown done.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

22 hours ago, gillenator said:

It's always best to wait a full 12 months because you want to have the caliber maturation along with the regrowth.

SMP works well for most individuals in the donor area if it looks thin after having FUE.

But if the new HT is in another part of the scalp? and in the transplanted area there will be just some touchups?

If the next procedure is in another untouched part of the scalp, that's fine...but it's still highly recommended to give the prior grafted area at least 12 months because there can still be new growth coming through and you don't want to transect any new hair that's about to sprout.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

If you add new grafts in an area of native hair there could be shock loss of the native hair, right?

if you add new grafts to an area which have only transplanted hair it won't be?

Edited by wheretogo

IMHO, the potential for shock loss is greater when native hair is present and more so if that native hair is diffused.  Transplanted hair does not seem to shock as easily from what I have observed over the years but remember, everyone responds differently to the level of trauma induced and that is the main factor to why shock loss occurs post-op.

Gillenator

What I said was the need to give the area at least 12 months before adding new grafts to the same area.

Gillenator