• Administrators

Are you taking finasteride or minoxidil? You are really young and right now your main concern may be the hairline, but if you don't stabilize your hair loss than the rest will start to go. 

In my honest opinion, you do not need a hair transplant in your current state. Yes, you do have some recession, but the density of your native hair is amazingly good. It will be very hard to match the density of the temporal corners to the density you have in the center forelock (middle). 

I'm afraid of shock loss, poor density, issues that can and do occur even with the best surgeons. If I were in your shoes, I would simply grow my hair out and style my hair differently. You can see the recession, because of how short your hair is, but if you grew it out and styled it, you could completely conceal the temples. Lastly, hair restoration is the "illusion" of density, it is not true density. By true density I mean it won't look as thick as your native hair when you wet your hair, under bright lights etc.

Here are a few examples of guys who have the same hairline that you do, but look fantastic by styling their hair in a good way. You should be focused on keeping what you have currently, believe me as you get older and lose more hair your priorities will change, you will no longer want that low juvenile hairline, you will just want to have good coverage and density. 

1-tapered-haircut-for-receding-hairline.jpg

11-taper-fade-with-long-top.jpg

14-long-top-undercut-for-men.jpg

20-spiky-cut-with-drop-fade.jpg

Slicked back.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I actually think a lot of young guys with some recession of the temples as long as the rest of the hair is dense can look cooler and have   more of  an edge more  than young guys with very straight hairlines ,I 've seen guys on here straightening  their hairlines and in my opinion they looked better  before the op,   apart form the aesthetics which is subjective, as Melvin says can be difficult to match the native density .

• Thanks 1

Great advice guys .. Don’t think u a good candidate right now , don’t really notice any miniaturization in ur hairline . Which is a good thing .... u got any pics before u shaved it short? I think u just have a mature hairline.. it’s when u start noticing some diffusing thinning is when u should be worried it’s going to get bad.  

U should also thank ht for taking his time to finding these pics for u .. u got to work with what u have .. its usually not As bad as u think .. a ht would be difficult for u .. since it probably will take more than one surgery to match the density of ur native hair .

What does it look like when grown out?  You're accentuating the issue when its that short. The density + temple areas are strong enough that no one would think you were balding if you grew it out and styled it. Depends on facial structure somewhat, if you have a narrow face, prominent eyebrows with a square jawline like a few of the guys Melvin posted its less of an issue to someone with the opposite.

The good news is other than your receded hairline, your hair looks very thick and don't appear to have any signs of balding. The other good news is that though even your hairline has receded to a NW 3, your temporal points are still pretty in tact and that is a huge advantage for you since many doctors have trouble rebuilding the temporal points. The tip of your hairline is still very low which is another plus for you. Honestly, if you opt for a NW 1.5, with a top tier surgeon, you will have an amazing result with 2000 grafts. Most U.S doctors charge $6.50 to $7 (please correct me if I'm wrong) per graft, so if you can shell out a few more grand, you'll be set to go. 

Edited by newpatient99

No HT necessary, get on finasteride and keep an eye on things, but otherwise enjoy that lovely head of hair and your youth.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Thank you all for the feedback! Some of those styles really do suit the hairline.

As a said in my original post Melvin I originally started taking finesteride and minoxidil (7%) and saw palmetto when I was 20 but stopped the finesteride due to the side effects. Do you think it would be a good idea to continue that again?

I normally have a pretty dense/good head of hair usually, to be honest I think the hairline was having such a bad effect on my self esteem that I thought I’d see how I look bald. Turns out I have a very strange head shape.

It’s good to get some reassurance from people who have been in similar positions! So wondering guys at what point should I begin to realistically consider a HT

Edited by Jack HT

1 hour ago, Jack HT said:

Thank you all for the feedback! Some of those styles really do suit the hairline.

As a said in my original post Melvin I originally started taking finesteride and minoxidil (7%) and saw palmetto when I was 20 but stopped the finesteride due to the side effects. Do you think it would be a good idea to continue that again?

I normally have a pretty dense/good head of hair usually, to be honest I think the hairline was having such a bad effect on my self esteem that I thought I’d see how I look bald. Turns out I have a very strange head shape.

It’s good to get some reassurance from people who have been in similar positions! So wondering guys at what point should I begin to realistically consider a HT

What side effects?

Without finasteride you'll realistically be chasing hair loss until you can lose no more hair.

Ethical doctors typically like to hold off until around 25 before operating on a patient, that gives a sense of genetic hair loss pattern and stabilization if on finasteride.

Which means hypothetically if you got back on finasteride for the next year you could be an excellent candidate to pursue a hair transplant.

Edited by Speegs

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Jack HT said:

I understand, taking finasteride is a personal decision to be honest. Are you sure you had side effects? Perhaps, you were experiencing side effects, because you were thinking about it. Now I'm not going to say side effects do not occur, because they certainly do, but it might be worth trying again. Either way, I don't think you should get surgery just yet. Try a different hair style, I can guarantee that 99% of people do not look at you and think that you are a bald man trust me. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I understand, taking finasteride is a personal decision to be honest. Are you sure you had side effects? Perhaps, you were experiencing side effects, because you were thinking about it. Now I'm not going to say side effects do not occur, because they certainly do, but it might be worth trying again. Either way, I don't think you should get surgery just yet. Try a different hair style, I can guarantee that 99% of people do not look at you and think that you are a bald man trust me. 

His hair is actually very thick and even though his hairline is receding, his temporal points are still in tact. The right hairstyle would look good with that hairline. You're right that he doesn't need a HT but if he decides to get one, I'd say a 1800 graft session would almost guarantee him a knock out result. 

Edited by newpatient99

The finesteride issue mainly had to do with my libido and to be honest I’d heard and read some reviews that were strongly against it which contributed to me stopping. From all of your personal experiences have any of you experienced negative side effects over long term? Excuse my ignorance but why is finesteride so effective in stopping the loss? And is it a medication you take for the rest of your life? Also I was purchasing it through a hair restoration place and paying over $100 a month for it so it was obviously quite expensive 

thanks

Edited by Jack HT

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Jack HT said:

The finesteride issue mainly had to do with my libido and to be honest I’d heard and read some reviews that were strongly against it which contributed to me stopping. From all of your personal experiences have any of you experienced negative side effects over long term? Excuse my ignorance but why is finesteride so effective in stopping the loss? And is it a medication you take for the rest of your life? Also I was purchasing it through a hair restoration place and paying over $100 a month for it so it was obviously quite expensive 

thanks

The issue, is that sometimes when you hear a medication lowers your libido, you will experience these side effects as a “nocebo” opposite of placebo. 

I experienced side effects, and mine were real because I didn’t even know or read up on the medications side effects prior to taking it, but the majority of guys on this forum take it with no issues at all. Which leads me to believe I am an unfortunate outlier. You can buy proscar for a lot cheaper. Lastly, it’s completely up to you if you want to take it, but with all that hair you have, you should definitely consider it.

View my thread

Justin Theroux is another great example of someone with a mature/dramatic hairline, and it's one of the most striking things about him... I'm often quite envious of his hair/hairline, and what the others have mentioned about the idea of embracing your own is very valuable advice. 

justin-theroux-the-last-jedi-the-leftovers-987371.jpg.0a45d96b9bed0817ad91aa9eb8b00242.jpg

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

11 minutes ago, pkipling said:

Justin Theroux is another great example of someone with a mature/dramatic hairline, and it's one of the most striking things about him... I'm often quite envious of his hair/hairline, and what the others have mentioned about the idea of embracing your own is very valuable advice. 

justin-theroux-the-last-jedi-the-leftovers-987371.jpg.0a45d96b9bed0817ad91aa9eb8b00242.jpg

Agreed, a slight recession can be quite distinguished looking, even on a young man.

7 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

The issue, is that sometimes when you hear a medication lowers your libido, you will experience these side effects as a “nocebo” opposite of placebo. 

I experienced side effects, and mine were real because I didn’t even know or read up on the medications side effects prior to taking it, but the majority of guys on this forum take it with no issues at all. Which leads me to believe I am an unfortunate outlier. You can buy proscar for a lot cheaper. Lastly, it’s completely up to you if you want to take it, but with all that hair you have, you should definitely consider it.

It might be a good idea for me to see my own personal doctor and discuss it. I was originally prescribed it by a doctor from a large hairloss clinic in Australia who charge incredibly high prices and don’t really provide a lot of information. I will also look into that other medication as an alternative! 

Thank you all for the feedback

29 minutes ago, Jack HT said:

It might be a good idea for me to see my own personal doctor and discuss it. I was originally prescribed it by a doctor from a large hairloss clinic in Australia who charge incredibly high prices and don’t really provide a lot of information. I will also look into that other medication as an alternative! 

Thank you all for the feedback

An educated dermatologist should suffice and be far more affordable.