question for Dr. Feller about (PRP)

Dr. i recently read a post from a poster on another forum talking about you looking into including a 'new' service in the NEAR future....i dont know a ton about this PRP (platelet rich plasma) procedure but apparently its a process that involves wounding the skin in the balding area, then planting the PRP, resulting in stimulating hair growth.(if im mistaken please correct me)

some think its BS others do not but what has me curious are the QUOTES this poster claims are from you... he is stating that you believe this to be the "best medical treatment for hairloss since propecia" and that you "believe in this" treatment and will be pursuing it...

is this poster who is quoting you accurate in what he is saying?

if so, could you inform the members here of some brief details as well as your personal knowledge on the stuff..

whats the potential effectiveness?

Approx. how much will this treatment cost?

how often will future treatments be required?

if you have been mis quoted Dr. feller then my apologies.........

Bill-- i know this might not be in the correct section, but before you move it to a section that gets 4 views a day, im hoping it will be possible to leave it here for a bit as this info is significant IMO, and this section is viewed more frequently than the 'future treatments' section.....pretty please!icon_smile.gif

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You read it right. I believe this technology could actually work.I first heard about it through a dentist who became a patient of mine years ago.

Unlike the myth of lasers, the effects and mechanisms of action for PRP are seemingly very sound. It also has tangible evidence of real world success in postitively effecting human tissue.

In general, I am very excited about this technology. It is plausable, it is eligant, and it's relatively inexpensive.

I will add this much, however. The technology as I've seen it applied falls a bit short. Either the original researches in the application of PRP to hairloss are unaware of the short comings as presented or, more likely, they held back some important steps in the name of technical propriety- which is perfectly fine and understandable.

No matter, however, I have already addressed these missing matters with just a bit of added technology that I will disclose to all if and when this technology gains any traction.

This is definitely something to watch.

So this is basically a treatment that would work in conjunction with a transplant to help heal the donor scar and ensure greater yield?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Originally posted by hairthere:

So this is basically a treatment that would work in conjunction with a transplant to help heal the donor scar and ensure greater yield?

no.... this ia a treatment to actually GROW HAIR... it has already been preformed with SOME success i believe, however, Dr. feller seems to be saying that he has added a bit of HIS OWN technology to this stuff ... if so, thats GREAT news IMO....

hairthere-- from my understanding this form of treatment DOES require periodic applications to keep what was gained... something like every 6 months or so...

http://doctorgreco.blogspot.com/

here is one link that talks about PRP... if you scroll down there is a video thats interesting... but like i say if DR. Feller is considering doing some stuff with this technology thats pretty good news if you ask me..i think its safe to say dr. feller believes this treatment has potential which is why hes apparently already made some adjustments/improvments himself...

hopefully we learn a little more about the basics of this treatment very soon.. i could give a s**t about the technical side of it.. if it can help me PROLONG my balding process COUNT ME IN!

Guest wanthairs

this is seriously amazing stuff. I live very close to this clinic---I think I may pay them a visit soon

Swagger,

Thanks for starting this topic.

I'm sure this community will be interested to see how Platelet Rich Plasma develops and whether or not it has a future in treating and reversing the progression of female and male pattern baldness.

I do however, want to point out how the below photo (that I took from the blog Swagger linked to) is far from realistic. If you look closely at the "before" photo (on left), there's still plenty of hair, but the crown is targeted with a brilliant light making it appear thinner than it is. The "after" photo (on right) isn't attacked by such bright light and the head is at an angle (notice the whorl is higher indicating the scalp is tilted a bit forward) that typically makes the crown appear thicker. There may indeed be a difference here, but in my opinion, the photos taken aren't indicative of the actual result.

554103802_post4grecob.jpg

Bill

post4grecob.jpg

Intriguing. The proof is always in the pudding, but Dr. Feller's recommendation certainly carries a good deal of (positive) weight.

Bill's analysis looks spot on, too. The picture doesn't seem as deceptive as many we're accustomed to from prospective treatments (laser, e.g.), but it's not honest. Hopefully, the reason for this is simply that the people in charge feel the need to show these "WOW" results time and time again in order to generate any looks from the general public, while also keeping up with the hordes of deception-mongers who are out there.

Good find, LMS, I'd never even heard of this before.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Bill-- i also agree 100% with your above post... and if you look at the video on the link i provided its a bit SHADY when it shows the results also....

if you look at the last half of Dr. Fellers post above he too, makes note that the technology as hes "seen it applied falls a bit short"... however he then goes on to state that he has made his own personal adjustments to the treatment... no doubt his goal was to make it more successful right?? and judging by his post it seems he feels he HAS, IN FACT improved upon it...

anyway id like to take credit for an actual "find" of sorts with this stuff but i did not really discover anything just wanted to introduce this new treatment to the posters on this forum..

IMO, the second feller got behind this new form of treatment it elevated itself from the typical, bogus, treatments that we see popping up all the time and end up NOWHERE, to something that actually HAS LEGS and may be a viable option in the VERY near future ...........................no pressure though Docicon_wink.gif

wanthairs---im glad your close by. please feel free to use this thread to keep us informed if you decide to learn more on this stuff...

At the risk of blowing this out of proportion... doesn't this seem like HUGE news to everyone?? I mean, if I'm reading this thread correctly, this is the most significant new hairloss development I've read about in ten years.

Any chance of more info?? How soon is the "near future"?

ceaser-- i hear you man... its best to set the bar LOW! in terms of expectations. we do not want to get our hopes up.. lets face it.. hairloss treatments have not advanced a whole lot since FIN/minox, yet we have seen plenty of 'next big treatments' claims that always fizzle out.... its best to be cautiously optimistic IMO...

but you are right... WE NEED SOME MORE INFO on this stuff..

still its tough to not be atleast a little excited.. and this does seem like HUGE news to me also

Hair multiplication was huge news also .

I really hope there something here even if its not a miracle.

I believe Cooley uses Prp in his practice .

It was also used here in this post I provided.

Different ways of using it but still used.

Keep our fingers crossed for another 5 years.

http://hair-restoration-info.c...111004371#6111004371

If this PRP process works, i would assume that it is not permanent since the miniaturization process will not stop. Therefore, continuous injection of PRP will likely be required.

I agree with Bill, the pics are not convincing.

On a separate note, i did have PRP incorporated in my HT but in a different process. The grafts were bathed in PRP solution before being implanted. The PRP was also injected in the donor and the recipient site, with the purpose of helping to speed up healing. The rational is that the faster the healing, the higher the potential yield.

An analysis of PRP from Dr. Cooley can be found here: http://hair-restoration-info.c...?r=52810352#52810352

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Is Dr Cooley the only Doc currently using this in the coalition? Sounds like an interesting development and adds weight to the argument of inflammation playing a key part of MPB imo.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

In my old job, i was researching a uk pharma company (or research company, cant remember name) based in cambridge-sore they were in phase 3 trials, i think, for this process. Not heard anything since though, and that was more than a year ago, so not sure if good news, but at the time i was quite excited!

Sweet link, LL -- I missed that one! I'd be curious to analyze cases where the "healing" was exceptional -- good and bad -- and how that may or may not have been reflected in the end-results.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I checked into what Dr Rassman might have to say about this. Being that he is in the forefront of Ht surgery and responsible for beginning the proceedure of FUEs , his word has merit attached. His opinions are sobering to say the least and thats a good thing. At his baldingblogsite he does not support nor does he rule out the application of PRP. Makes sense. The test of time applies to everything. here is his link:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2009/04/02/p ... hair-loss/

http://www.newhair.com/info/doctor-rassman.asp

bayday/artista

hey i also saw this on another forum, i was a bit excited since i am one of the guys that cannot use propecia and it sounds in theory ike a good alternative to propecia.

I have to say i am sceptical as we all are but the fact that Dr. Feller believes in it makes me more excited.It sounds like a simple thing for a doctor to perform as well.

All we need is volunteers that will under go the process and a doctor to follow the progress. BUT these pictures are worthless in my opinion like many of the transplant pictures that we see from clinics. The most funny thing is how the hair colour changes from before to afters, i find this hilariously misleading and i ve seen it from clinics that supposedly warn patients all the time about how misleading photos can be lol.

I have to admit when i see pictures like these in treatments, transpants or whatever i always think ...scam... they are trying to fool us.but lets wait and see...

should we believe everything?

Originally posted by bayday:

I checked into what Dr Rassman might have to say about this. Being that he is in the forefront of Ht surgery and responsible for beginning the proceedure of FUEs , his word has merit attached. His opinions are sobering to say the least and thats a good thing. At his baldingblogsite he does not support nor does he rule out the application of PRP. Makes sense. The test of time applies to everything. here is his link:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2009/04/02/p ... hair-loss/

http://www.newhair.com/info/doctor-rassman.asp

bayday/artista

Bayday i understand when you give us the link of Rassmans opinion but the second link of his biography is not needed. Also you state that he is responsible for beginning the procedures of FUE that is not so. Maybe you are mislead

I do not want to offend you or anything and this thread should stay on topic i just made an observation.

I agree though with Rassmans view about being sceptical and that proper studies are needed. But on the other hand these studies cost millions for something that propably cannot be patented so that only one doctor can offer it, so why should Greco pay millions of dollars for clinical trials and studies that may or might not lead to an FDA approval for something that any doctor can perform after since he cannot patent this technology? I am not in any way taking Greco's side (especially after these photos lol) but things are not black or white they usually are grey...i dont think is that easy to demand these clinical results as Rassmans does for this particular method.

should we believe everything?

hopefull,

At the risk of keeping this thread off topic, perhaps I've also been mislead. Unless I'm reading this wrong, in the first four lines, Dr. Rassman himself states that he is the "inventor" or FUE. Link

If that's not the case, I'd like to know.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

"As the 'inventor' of the procedure who published the first authoritative article in the Journal of Dermatologic Surgery (2002)," This is half true. He is not the the inventor. But he is the first to publish a journal and making us here in North America aware of FUE.I have also had a consult with his then partner Dr. Bernstein back in 2002 to discuss Fue and his opinions on the procedure.

gotta love it when every doctor claims he/she invented the FUE. when it comes to actually performing it, they all simply suck at it or they just don't want to hear about it at the consultation and they'll do everything to sell you their STRIP. so it's an effective bait and switch card that lot of the "inventors" like to use. i experienced it myself year and a half ago, just ask Dr. Robert Jones - the true inventor icon_rolleyes.gif