question for Dr. Feller about (PRP)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dakota-- above is a video of Dr. jones getting the procedure done to himself, it seems NO shockloss takes place, its a clean and easy process... have a look...

**side note** i dont need to hear the "ohh, dr jones is doing it? he sucks at HTs. hes a hack".. from any of you guys cause frankly it has NO BEARING on his ability to preform this procedure and since i dont ever plan to go to dr jones for a HT, GOOD LUCK AND GOD SPEED DR JONES.

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

lms, my concern is that this procedure does not regrow hair, it thickens native hair. i am skeptical if that will give a significant cosmetic change. however, before jumping to any conclusions i am going to meet with dr. feller to discuss and will gladly share all.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

needles don't cause shock loss, srsly

I disagree! HT's are done using blades and needles and can cause shock loss. Also it looks as if they causing trauma to the scalp to apply the PRP and trauma to the scalp can also cause shock loss

Originally posted by hairthere:

lms, my concern is that this procedure does not regrow hair, it thickens native hair. i am skeptical if that will give a significant cosmetic change. however, before jumping to any conclusions i am going to meet with dr. feller to discuss and will gladly share all.

yeah, i hear ya hairthere, all the more reason we need alot more info on this stuff... from all that ive read this stuff wont do much, if anything for somone who is slick bald.... from wat i understand diffuse thinners(which i am) stand to gain the most from this treatment.. IF is thicken the hairs i do have have in my balding areas and makes them more healthy that is HUGE STILL..obv this is not a miracle cure or anything but could be a big help for guys like myself none the less.. for some reason i feel like this stuff MIGHT improve the quallity of some of my hairs(mainly in my crown) that are like 2 steps from being non-existant.. that in and of it self is as good as regroth to me if it can thicken those guys up and maybe keep them around for a while longer.....

we just need to get some answers soon IMO...

dakota---its a valid question your asking.. i have many myself.... something tells me tho, that shockloss might not be a problem much, if at all. but im def not the one to answer...I DO KNOW A FEW PEOPLE WHO COULD THO!!!!!!!!!!!icon_wink.gif

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

Havent read this whole thread as I hate getting excited then let down.

This would be great though.

The only concern is if this is a treatment that you continually have to do and it doesnt work then its possible that the roller causes alot of scarring .

Maybe not visible but can contribute to poor growth if you then decide to go the hair transplant route.

Hopefully Im way off base and this becomes a legit treatment

certainly some really promising stuff this PRP

Here is some background

It was first used by dental surgeons about 15 years ago to enhance wound healing of bone grafts during dental reconstructive surgery.

8 ml of blood is drawn under sterile conditions, processed in a centrifuge before it is injected back

With conventional treatment, a calf muscle tear for instance, would normally take about six weeks to heal. However, with PRP, it would only take half the time. In fact, ultrasonic evidence of healing was apparent as early as seven to 10 days after the injection was administered. Normally, this would have taken between two to three weeks

PRP is low risk since it only involves the injection of the patient's own blood products. There is hence no chance of rejection or acquiring infections such as hepatitis or AIDS. For the doctor, it offers a relatively quick procedure to perform.

Platelets can also only survive for seven to 10 days, so the regeneration given by the PRP is not ongoing, unlike the potentially more permanent nature of stem cell treatments.

However, in many instances, this boost is all that is needed for injuries to heal quicker.

"With conventional treatment, a calf muscle tear for instance, would normally take about six weeks to heal. However, with PRP, it would only take half the time. In fact, ultrasonic evidence of healing was apparent as early as seven to 10 days after the injection was administered. Normally, this would have taken between two to three weeks," revealed Dr Patrick Goh, Consultant Sports Physician at SportsMed Central, a clinic that runs under the Healthway Medical Group umbrella.

When injury occurs to musculoskeletal tissues, the body's healing mechanism triggers a blood clot where platelets accumulate. Central to the body's normal healing process, the platelets then release growth factors and signalling molecules (cytokines) to initiate repair. These growth factors attract stem cells to the injured area, stimulate DNA and cell synthesis and promote many activities associated with regeneration and tissue healing.

PRP therapy involves the isolation and concentration (two to six times higher) of the patient's own blood platelets before injecting them into the site of the injury. With a rich environment of vital growth factors created here, the healing process is accelerated.

During the 30-minute minimally-invasive outpatient procedure, about 8 ml of blood is drawn under sterile conditions, processed in a centrifuge before it is injected back into the site of injury. This is usually done under ultrasound guidance to offer maximum accuracy of the injection by a sports physician or orthopaedic surgeon. Local anaesthetic may be applied prior to the PRP injection. The entire process is relatively painless and patients are usually able to walk and perform normal daily activities after the injection.

Besides muscle tears or strains, other conditions which can benefit from PRP therapy include tendon tears or strains, tendon inflammation or degeneration (including tennis elbow and Achilles tendonitis), ligament tears and joint cartilage 'wear and tear' (osteoarthritis).

As regards to safety, Dr Goh assured, "PRP is low risk since it only involves the injection of the patient's own blood products. There is hence no chance of rejection or acquiring infections such as hepatitis or AIDS. For the doctor, it offers a relatively quick procedure to perform."

Short-term side-effects include soreness and stiffness at the injected site, while over the longer term, mild stiffening and scarring may occur but usually no worse than what is expected with normal healing.

i feel all funny, like when i used to climb the rope in gym class..

LOL can you be more specific as how and why that particular activity made you "feel all funny"? icon_biggrin.gif

was that really the best comparison that you could come up with?

you SILLY you icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by dakota3:
needles don't cause shock loss, srsly

I disagree! HT's are done using blades and needles and can cause shock loss. Also it looks as if they causing trauma to the scalp to apply the PRP and trauma to the scalp can also cause shock loss

Yes but, from video only a few injections in scalp, not 2000 cuts to scalp, and a piece of flesh cut from back, very BIG difference... if shock loss was so easy to cause, people would get it from banging head, does that happen Dickota3? No.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

Can any of you post information about the cost of the procedure (especially those who go to consult with the surgeons).

Also, what are the periods of time between treatments?

This makes me think of botox -- multiple treatments over time, but no permanent results. (We won't know yet, I understand.)

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi Dr,

I just registered to this today.You started providing the patients with PRP in mar-apr 2009. Whats the success rate? I am a 25 yr old man suffering from genetic hairloss and i am currently on spectral -dnc and dutasteride/provillus but i don think they are giving me any visible results However my scalp has got density which can cover my hair loss. Kindly let me know if i should undergo this? i am currently staying in Bangalore, India. Let me know if you know any good doc who can perform PRP here?

Regards,

HSN

• 3 months later...

anyone else find it odd that prp recieved all this buzz and attention two years ago and since then we havent heard squat?

Dr feller you havent chimed in on this thread in a long time. Can you please provide us some updates, pics, testimonials, ect. with reagrds to prp? thanks!

That buzz and attention your referring to can also be called "hype" which is something I've been trying to avoid.

The bottom line is that in my opinion it works, BUT... only in certain types of patients. To my mind PRP is best when it is utilized in patients, usually young, whose hair is just beginning to miniturize. This did not come a surprise to me.

To date, no adverse effects whatsoever have been reported to me after PRP administration.

That buzz and attention your referring to can also be called "hype" which is something I've been trying to avoid.

The bottom line is that in my opinion it works, BUT... only in certain types of patients. To my mind PRP is best when it is utilized in patients, usually young, whose hair is just beginning to miniturize. This did not come a surprise to me.

To date, no adverse effects whatsoever have been reported to me after PRP administration.

dr feller, can you show us some updated pics, testimonials, ect. from your younger clientele then? thank you.

also, from another forum....

Id have to disagree with you.. again you dont see people talking about their good results from it.. Mainly because there just arent many people that have had good results or any results... When I went to see Dr. Feller for my PRP treatment, I asked him how many ppl he had treated with PRP and how many responded well or at all.. His response was, "3 out of 47".. Had I not driven 500 miles to NYC, I would have ran for my life.. Those are turrible odds.. 6%!..Im also part of a few other hairloss forums and the whole prp craze has died down so much that literally you never hear it brought up...You also don't see anyone here raving about their results.. except you... sorry but the results you're seeing are probably from your propecia use... You take, what 5 mg a day?? and you're suppose to improve over a course of 2 years...If you had just done PRP alone U might be able to say you're seeing results.. but sorry, I just don't buy it.Dr. Greco said it himself.. on this thread, that PRP should be done WITH PROPECIA and MONOXIL... Yes, I did see amazing results from propecia (1mg) after almost 3 months... but the sides were to much for me to bear with it any longer.

• 2 weeks later...

i think i will try this out on an unsuspecting lab mouse at work and then on myself if all looks good with the mouse! funny this thread has gone all quiet as well! surprised no one has been on ebay trying to buy a centrifuge! coincidently i came up with this hypothesis when i first started to loose my hair in 2008 but was a bit wary of trying it, but now ive seen this thread im more than tempted to give it a go! kind of reminds me of the oil company's trying to commit financial suicide by trying to make a hydrogen car engine that runs on rain water that falls from the sky.... which is something that is never going to happen...

• 4 weeks later...
"When I went to see Dr. Feller for my PRP treatment, I asked him how many ppl he had treated with PRP and how many responded well or at all.. His response was, "3 out of 47".. "

The above quote is not true. Never happened.

Dr feller thank you for your response. Can you share any updates? dr greco implied on another forum that you are using prp that is different than his. His direct quote was "Regarding Dr Feller, who I have a high professional regard, would be the first to tell you that we are using something different than straight PRP. Not all cellular therapy is the same. "

I would really like to try this therapy since i am young, have a relatively decent head of hair, and would like its focus to be on the crown. however i have been discouraged by the lack of updates and testimonials.

would you be willing to post and update and possibly put me in touch with some of your satisfied prp patients? thanks!

• 2 years later...

I had prp treatment at the same time as 1000 grafts to the top. I had massive shockloss of exisitng grafts. Now it could have been caused by the grafting but not likely considering I basically went bald from shockloss. I am 9 months out and about 70% recovered. So basically I ended up 30% worse. Interestingly when I went in for my 3 week check up and was bald my crap Dr immediately said must have been the prp. Almost like he didnt mean to say it. He later showed me another patient who had grafts and prp who had bad shock loss. I found out from talking to twits at his office that several other patients had shock loss from prp. All regrew their hair supposedly but agin I am am 30% in the hole and none of grafts grew. I feel like a dipshit for falling for the prp nonsense. Word of warning.

The company who did my HT in Turkey have been doing PRP for over 12 months now, it's almost standard practice (if the patient wants to pay for it) for their FUE procedures.

PRP is injected throughout the scalp to reduce revoery time, minimise risk of shock loss and promote healthy growth of the transplanted hair.

When i went back out in May for my liposuction procedures with HTI, i went to see the HT team and discussed the PRP process.

From what i can see, it's all very positive and i was even surprised to see how healthy the 2 patients scalps looked after just a few days when i saw them at breakfast in the hotel.

Had i thought about it more, i too would have paid to have this, but at the time didn't know anything about it.

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul