Scared and tentative

I’ll be brief. My main concern in moving forward with a transplant is long term detectability. I have seen great pics and not so great pics. I visited with Dr. Konior and he was wonderful but of course no one can guarantee that it will be completely discrete and undetectable. I am not referring to post op but rather the transplant itself. Anyone have pics of themselves in real life and not in an office that aren’t super close up?  I find it very hard to tell with these super close ups. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I almost pulled the trigger but panicked. 

Edited by HopefulNewyorker
Typo

• Administrators

I have some pictures of my everyday life on my threads in my signature. I think there are more than enough examples on this forum and online to make a decision. However, if you’re on the fence about the whole thing, it’s probably best not to go through with it, this is a decision you want to be 100% about. 

My thread

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Find a surgeon that only does HT's,  since they specialize in this field , the HT will not be detectable. I just had a 2500 graft HT with dr Arocha in Houston and he had large before and after photographs displayed in his clinic for me to view. I am confident in 8 months I will have a new hairline that is virtually undetectable. Good luck !

3 hours ago, HopefulNewyorker said:

I’ll be brief. My main concern in moving forward with a transplant is long term detectability. I have seen great pics and not so great pics. I visited with Dr. Konior and he was wonderful but of course no one can guarantee that it will be completely discrete and undetectable. I am not referring to post op but rather the transplant itself. Anyone have pics of themselves in real life and not in an office that aren’t super close up?  I find it very hard to tell with these super close ups. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I almost pulled the trigger but panicked. 

Can't you take a two-three week vacation ? Have the procedure on day one, then jet off somewhere to recover. It wont matter who see's your healing scalp they'll all be strangers.

I'm telling from experience. If you find a reputable surgeon, his skills lend itself to a result that you would be looking for. Now, if you were needing a HT from back during the the 1980's, I could not make the same statement. Today's techniques are quite advanced and the artas punch or hand held are very small , therefore undetectable. Now, if you choose the FUT technique, you will have a linear scar on the back and sides.

I think this is a great Post on something that should be addressed more frequently. Long-term detectability… Does a hair transplant stand up to the test of time? Well I can tell you from experience, it sure does. That is, assuming you’ve selected an outstanding hair transplant surgeon and have gotten the results you want. 

I can tell you from personal experience, that 10 years plus later, I’m still very happy with my results and I have actually been growing my hair just for fun to see what it looks like Long. When I was in my 20s, are used to wear my hair this way and I’ve been growing it out to see if I can make it look similar. Are used to wear my hair quite short and probably will again when I’m done experimenting. But for now, my hair actually looks thicker and covers the sitting area is even better now that it’s longer.

In my opinion, do your due diligence in researching hair transplant surgeons and select one that you are most impressed with. The surgeon was recommended by our community have been prescreened and recommended based on demanding standards provided by patients.   I suggest clicking the button at the top of this forum to find a prescreened surgeon. You can also use the search feature of this forum to see what their patients are saying.  

Best wishes,

Bill

Don’t worry man ,, everyone has the same insecurities n tenseness getting their first transplant .. I do too .. 

but once u get tired of worrying about ur hair , n losing confidence .. those fears become less and u just want to get it done ..  once u arrive at that point . Then u know u are ready to take the plunge,. The surgery , the money , the ugly duckling phase ,, all that don’t mean much anymore once u know u are committed .. u just go along with it .. so no worries .. good luck ..

I will say this, if you have done your research, then it's worth it. 

10 years ago I took the plunge but without doing much research. At that time I thought I chose the correct place and since there was really no reference point to go on , I paid the price. dr Blaine Lehr a dermatologist ( Oklahoma City who no longer performs ht's) was the first online ad that popped up. I had my consultation and everything appeared okay . Since I did not have the knowledge I do today, my questions were limited and vague to say the least. I paid for 2000 grafts and didn't realize until 10 years later that they only transplanted around 700 at the most with only half of those taking. Yes, 10 years later I have another ht this time 2500 and it was like night and day. Your advantage is not only your research but availability to it, with more doctors specializing in the field. 

Getting back to my first experience with dr Lehr. His only activity with me was removing the strip and suturing the incision. Everything else was performed by techs. This 2nd go around, I research relentlessly and found an m.d. That only does hair transplants and actually makes the incisions in the recipient sites himself , which was very impressive. 

Statistically, you are more likely to have undetectable results today, given all the variables available currently as opposed to 10 years ago. 

You will be fine, good luck.

Edited by made2care
Grammar

Dr. Konior is one of the very best. As far as naturalness and undetectability goes, from the results he posts on here I'd say he most definitely ticks those boxes.

A good hair surgeon will plan your ht with the long term in mind. So that if you lose more hair over the years, the overall look will still be natural.

Best of luck.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Hopefulnewyorker,

I agree that Dr. Konior is one of the best and he will certainly take excellent care of you. To be honest, he is probably one of the most thorough, hands-on hair transplant surgeons I know.   He is also very genuine, down-to-earth and cares deeply about his patients. 

Best wishes,

Bill