Is there a point where hair loss just stops?

I guess this is more geared to older guys or people who know their older relatives history of balding, but is there a point where hair loss just stops and burns out. I found this on the web from Dr. Rassman:

The general rule is that for those who have hair loss in their 20s, most of it will slow down by the mid 30s and by the time the person reaches 40-45, it should slow down even further.??? He also says that people in their twenties just experience an early progression of the gene.

So if I'm understanding this right, no matter when you lose your hair, whatever was genetically predetermined to fall out will fall out. Hence why some people who start losing in their twenties could still end up with having more hair than someone who starts losing in say their thirties. Also, how much does your family history really play a part?

Anyone have any comments on this? For older guys did your hair loss ever become stable in your lives? Thanks

I guess this is more geared to older guys or people who know their older relatives history of balding, but is there a point where hair loss just stops and burns out. I found this on the web from Dr. Rassman:

The general rule is that for those who have hair loss in their 20s, most of it will slow down by the mid 30s and by the time the person reaches 40-45, it should slow down even further.??? He also says that people in their twenties just experience an early progression of the gene.

So if I'm understanding this right, no matter when you lose your hair, whatever was genetically predetermined to fall out will fall out. Hence why some people who start losing in their twenties could still end up with having more hair than someone who starts losing in say their thirties. Also, how much does your family history really play a part?

Anyone have any comments on this? For older guys did your hair loss ever become stable in your lives? Thanks

Just to chime into your point, My hairloss started when I was 18 and was very aggresive till I was 23. I'm 25 now and have had no hairloss for the past 2 years, but hairloss is unpredictable and could start again tomorrow. But at any age there is a point where your hairloss generally caps off and slows down. This depends on your family history and from what I understand it depends more on the hair loss patterns of male members from your mother's side of the family. Just my two cents worth.

hdude46,

You have mentioned some interesting things.

Just for information, it is my understanding that hairloss percentage of the population follows the decades generally such that 20% of men in their 20s are balding, 30% of men in their 30s are balding and so on....

Hence why some people who start losing in their twenties could still end up with having more hair than someone who starts losing in say their thirties.

Interesting, as it is my understanding, that the earlier your hairloss starts the much more extensive will be your hairloss.

take care...

i think, and i could be wrong here, but i think its more the rate of loss than the age. There are some guys on this site who had a full head of hair at 35, only to be a complete NW6 by 37.

Rassman says its just an early progression of the gene but I was wondering what others experiences have been with themselves and people they know.

I head to my gym every morning around 8:00am, and at that time there is always a mix of men in their 30's, 40's, 50's and a lot of senior citizens who I assume are retired. My observations have me slightly concerned about future hair loss because I would categorize AT LEAST 50% of the senior citizens as Norwood 6's, and AT LEAST 20% as Norwood 7's. A lot of the guys have see through hair in their donor area and pretty extensive balding patterns. I used to think that those guys must have been balding considerably in their younger days, but when I look at the younger men working out, I see a much smaller percentage of men showing any hair loss. Of course a lot of them will begin to lose their hair at some point in their life, but for the number of 6's and 7's I see, I would have thought that a lot more of the younger men would already be showing hair loss. Obviously there is no scientific evidence in my observation, just what I've seen in a small sample group, but it doesn't seem to mesh with Dr. Rassman's statements that only 7% of men reach NW 7 status or that hair loss slows down with age. DO NOT take what I am saying as anything more than people watching though!

interesting...i think your right though in that most nw 6 and 7's probably get there before the age of 35. I mean look at how many nw5 and 6 there are on this site that arent even 30 yet, some in their early 20's. If I had to guess, I would say that these are the people most likely to advance that far on the norwood scale. Of course by the time someone young like myself (25, nw2-3) gets to be 50 or 60, I would say its a pretty safe bet that restoration treatments will be better and more advanced than what we have now (ie propecia, strp surgeries, rogaine) ect...

I also would like to hear from the older folks here.

I'm 29 and I'm a NW3 vertex (in my opinion), but you guys may see it differently

Photos

So if you were to compare me with a 25 caucasian that is a NW4 or NW5

I'm in really good shape. Most HT doctors I've talked to says if your hairloss starts later and it's slow (my hairloss has been very gradual while I know some other folks where hair just falls out), then those types of patients are better off shape.

the BIG question is, what will I look like in 10 years at age 39?

hairloss stops when you are at the end of the line ( icon_frown.gif). Some guys stabilize and simply slowly lose hair for the rest of their lives, others go through stages of significant hairloss, while some do not lose anymore.

In most cases, we will all continue to lose our hair for the rest of our lives.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Old guy here! I am 51 & started gradually loosing my hair since my mid twenties, I mean it was gradual. It has even progressed over the last 5 years in the crown area & slowly continues to do so. I am not one of those who went from having hair to poof NW7. It's been a slow & painful (mentally) process.

No meds for me. just 1 transplant so far & I am much happier than before my HT.

Im 50. Started losing alot of hair at ~ 25 and I was devastated. I was shedding like crazy and I had friends by this time that had lost a sigificant amount of hair, so I thought I was going bald overnight. But it slowed, now when I look at pictures from 25 - 40, I realize I had a shit load of hair and would go back in a second. At about mid 40s my temples had noticably receded and it was a dramatic effect. Before that it was just the crown thinning. I tried alot of things something literally stop the hair loss around 47, no more shedding, not a hair. Last Jan I got a HT with feller in the frontal third. So far seems like things are going well with that. What I would say is, in my experience its unpredictable and you need to fight every step, diet, health all play a role. I 50 now hoping for a reprieve. Anyway thats my story

Originally posted by TC17:

I head to my gym every morning around 8:00am, and at that time there is always a mix of men in their 30's, 40's, 50's and a lot of senior citizens who I assume are retired. My observations have me slightly concerned about future hair loss because I would categorize AT LEAST 50% of the senior citizens as Norwood 6's, and AT LEAST 20% as Norwood 7's. A lot of the guys have see through hair in their donor area and pretty extensive balding patterns. I used to think that those guys must have been balding considerably in their younger days, but when I look at the younger men working out, I see a much smaller percentage of men showing any hair loss. Of course a lot of them will begin to lose their hair at some point in their life, but for the number of 6's and 7's I see, I would have thought that a lot more of the younger men would already be showing hair loss. Obviously there is no scientific evidence in my observation, just what I've seen in a small sample group, but it doesn't seem to mesh with Dr. Rassman's statements that only 7% of men reach NW 7 status or that hair loss slows down with age. DO NOT take what I am saying as anything more than people watching though!

Keep in mind that alot of younger men are shy about showing so in public, particularly intimate settings such as gyms where their non follicularly challenged peers will unintentionally taunt them with their flowing mains.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Good question. I suppose the most obvious answer is the classic "it depends." I've seen older men (including my grandfather and step-grandfather) who kept pretty much the same hairline and thickness from 50 to 70, and others who went to what I suppose would be NW 6 or 7 level.

Benjamin

What I want to know is, Where it is thinning why some part of the hair is thick or dark in and around the same spot its thin. Some guys are completly bald in that area. My hair grows back in slow and thin. So it's mix with thick and thin hair.??????????????