Thoughts on effectiveness of PRP WITH FUT procedure?

Hey everyone-

Long time former poster here who admittedly hasn't been on here in years!! Hope all is well and that all of you are doing great and growing great hair.

Long story short, I am going back for a second FUT procedure, and hoping to add 2500 grafts or so to my existing hair. I seem to have become mildly resistant to Finasteride, and my hair is thinning a bit.

What I'm wondering is.....how effective do you all feel that PRP is as a treatment during transplantation. The clinic is attempting to sell me PRP with my procedure for an extra $600....and I am wondering if the claims that it "speeds up" the healing process and graft growth phase are true at all? Does anyone have any direct experience or observations. Any advice is much appreciated!

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

• Administrators

From the few guys I know who have gotten done, they have all said little to no difference was done with PRP, I dont think there is any definitive data that suggest that PRP will make the transplant grow in quicker, if you've become slightly resistant to finasteride, talk to your doctor about possibly introducing dutasteride.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. I'm wondering if I'd just be throwing my money away...as I see so many mixed reviews on efficacy.

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

• Administrators

In my opinion yes, there’s one member on here who got PRP by one of the best in the business and he said it wasn’t very effective at all. It’s like laser therapy, it’s one of those things that doesn’t hurt to try besides your wallet.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I'm not sure how much anyone gets from prp either but I will say that I do think only some clinics are doing it correctly, so if you're going to do it, stick to docs like Cooley for it and from what I've heard from one of his patients, he was told by Dr Cooley the most likely patients to benefit from it would be diffuse patients so unless you've got money to burn and are diffuse and going to Cooley I think you're safe to bypass but it's not going to hurt you if you decide to use it, you may just ultimately not get much benefit from it.

I had 4 HT procedures and never had any PRP treatments for any of them.

I personally do not see any significant benefit to PRP and would recommend ACELL instead of PRP for your procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Yeah, PRP will give a temp result to your overall result. I don't think you will see any long term benefits. I've seen a result from Cooley where the guy was above baseline at 5 years. My concern is the price. I really believe the Angel system right now is the only way to do PRP and I think the disposables cost about that much or more, so I would really research what method they are using.

How much have you lost? And who are you going with?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

PRP is good and natural.

;)

My opinions are based on my beliefs and are simply my own. I am one representative of the WHTC clinic.

Free Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

Brussels, Belgium - Available

London, United Kingdom - Available

Zurich, Switzerland - Available

Bologna, Italy - Available

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Mike,

Long time no see and welcome back :-). Personally, I’m not so sure I would call PRP during a follicular unit transplantation procedure a “treatment“. Basically, they are using PRP as a holding solution for the grants between parking and planting as opposed to the standard saline solution or something else. So the question is, is PRP more effective as a holding solution than standard saline solution?

I personally haven’t seen any real evidence that it is or isn’t. Because growth rate in the hands of the best hair transplant surgeons was already very high as long as grafts were not placed outside of the body for too long. Perhaps PRP enables surgeons to keep here in the solution longer without damage occurring, but I’m not sure how true that is or under what conditions this has been tested.

In my opinion, PRP will not form a hair transplant but I haven’t seen any real evidence suggesting that it will do anything additional or special for it.

It would be interesting to hear what some of our recommended hair transplant physicians have to say about this.

Best wishes,

Bill

WHTC,

Thanks for your response however, I was hoping for a slightly more detailed response from a Clinic representative. Perhaps you can ask Dr. Mwamba to provide his opinion about whether or not using PRP as a storage solution is any more effective than the standard saline solution. For instants, we already know that it is natural, but it doesn’t necessarily mean there are additional benefits to using this over another holding solution.

Best wishes,

Bill