Do I have a good head shape for going bald?

A quick backdrop... I'm 21 and a diffuse thinner. Not willing to take propecia/finasteride etc and only on minoxidil atm. I'm losing my hair very fast and don't want to use concealers therefore, I'm going to buzz it down and get SMP. Now, the reason your all here...

Do I have a good head shape for buzzing down and getting SMP? Yes or No...

I'm actually quite excited about doing this as I can tell its gonna be liberating. No more stressing about whether my thinning is showing etc, plus I've been hitting the gym recently and have packed on some muscle, gonna get rid of some fat around the face and hopefully frame my face. I'll leave my pic below and a pic of the look I'm going for.

IMG_0174.JPG.d55417f5e90070f598eb180f0b1bf7c3.JPG

post-159268-0-57299400-1422033976.thumb.jpg.be48319afa495aaa609a4388024d2aae.jpg

post-159268-0-44794800-1422031212.thumb.jpg.d14307b9e9b42b675b0c827a31a53231.jpg

Yes you will look good in my opinion and you are doing it when you are young and still have some hair. As you get older, people will think you just like the buzzed look and probably won’t have any idea that it’s SMP. Most people your age will have no clue what you did because most have never dealt with hairloss and have no idea about any of the options to combat it. Good luck with everything! After considering your age and not wanting to take meds, you are making the right choice with SMP in my opinion.

Being honest and realistic OP, no one on this forum is going to tell you you had a bad head shape or that you'd look bad as a bald man because they don't want to be mean and its a bit of a safe space for better or worse. If you want honest opinions on baldness go to hairlosstalk.

That SMP result looks like the guy is diseased, it does not look natural and the ink doesn't match the hair colour. I would strongly suggest you ask your friends who you can trust to be honest look at that result and ask if they think it looks natural, also look at some in real life if possible. Being excited about solving a problem can cloud your mind and give you poor judgement, so exercise extreme caution and look for negative opinions, not just positive advertisements. It's not a magic bullet.

It's not "head shape" that matters either, it's your facial features and whether they are attractive and striking enough that the lack of hair will still leave them appealing. Also the balance of masculine and feminine in your facial features and skin.

If you don't feel its impacting your dating life, making you sad or giving you image related issues etc then go for it, but studies and almost every woman I have talked to (and I look like I have a full head of hair so they're open about it) say that balding will age you 5-10 years and drop you 1-3 points of attractiveness. Again, this is backed up by legitimate research data whether anyone cares to admit it. You WILL be less attractive and look older as a bald man.

My opinion is that you should opt for hairloss treatment such as 1mg of finasteride which is a pill and nizoral 2% a shampoo twice a week. Realistically balding will impact you very negatively in terms of your dating options along with ageing you significantly, making you less attractive and less respected by coworkers. The fact that people view bald people as less successful is also documented by legitimate data.

The conclusions of this lit review are utterly absurd, but all the negatives of balding are referenced in the data itself and the various listed studies and their individual conclusions.

http://opim.wharton.upenn.edu/DPlab/papers/publishedPapers/Mannes_2012_%20Shorn%20scalps%20and%20perceptions%20of%20male%20dominance.pdf

Edited by JeanLDD

Let's put it this way, If I had your head shape I wouldn't be on this forum.

You can barely even see it in the photo and it's only from one angle, with his beard blocking his jawline and without his facial featuures. What a completely stupid thing to say.

Being honest and realistic OP, no one on this forum is going to tell you you had a bad head shape or that you'd look bad as a bald man because they don't want to be mean and its a bit of a safe space for better or worse. If you want honest opinions on baldness go to hairlosstalk.

That SMP result looks like the guy is diseased, it does not look natural and the ink doesn't match the hair colour. I would strongly suggest you ask your friends who you can trust to be honest look at that result and ask if they think it looks natural, also look at some in real life if possible. Being excited about solving a problem can cloud your mind and give you poor judgement, so exercise extreme caution and look for negative opinions, not just positive advertisements. It's not a magic bullet.

It's not "head shape" that matters either, it's your facial features and whether they are attractive and striking enough that the lack of hair will still leave them appealing. Also the balance of masculine and feminine in your facial features and skin.

If you don't feel its impacting your dating life, making you sad or giving you image related issues etc then go for it, but studies and almost every woman I have talked to (and I look like I have a full head of hair so they're open about it) say that balding will age you 5-10 years and drop you 1-3 points of attractiveness. Again, this is backed up by legitimate research data whether anyone cares to admit it. You WILL be less attractive and look older as a bald man.

My opinion is that you should opt for hairloss treatment such as 1mg of finasteride which is a pill and nizoral 2% a shampoo twice a week. Realistically balding will impact you very negatively in terms of your dating options along with ageing you significantly, making you less attractive and less respected by coworkers. The fact that people view bald people as less successful is also documented by legitimate data.

The conclusions of this lit review are utterly absurd, but all the negatives of balding are referenced in the data itself and the various listed studies and their individual conclusions.

http://opim.wharton.upenn.edu/DPlab/papers/publishedPapers/Mannes_2012_%20Shorn%20scalps%20and%20perceptions%20of%20male%20dominance.pdf

I appreciate your response as your trying to help, but I've been told before I have a good head shape for balding before, and I have fairly defined features so feel its worth a go. As for the fin suggestion, it is simply something I am not willing to risk as the side effects do not outweigh the positives. This is hopefully temporary, as in a few years I want to try a HT but for now I want to try something which could liberate me from constant worrying. Also, judging someones success by the amount of hair they have is bullshit LOL and so is the amount of respect your shown as a result of your hair count.

I appreciate your response as your trying to help, but I've been told before I have a good head shape for balding before, and I have fairly defined features so feel its worth a go. As for the fin suggestion, it is simply something I am not willing to risk as the side effects do not outweigh the positives. This is hopefully temporary, as in a few years I want to try a HT but for now I want to try something which could liberate me from constant worrying. Also, judging someones success by the amount of hair they have is bullshit LOL and so is the amount of respect your shown as a result of your hair count.

I'm telling you what the academic and researched data on the issue says, you don't have to like it.

The side effects occur in only 2-5% of users and are 1/1000 or less for permanence. If you lose your native hair, transplants are unlikely to be able to restore full coverage up top with reasonable density.

Either way, if you feel you've got no issues then you're good man. But saying you're dealing with "constant worrying" makes it sound like you do have serious hair related issues, and finasteride to keep natives along with transplants are the best way to deal with them. Don't rush into anything like SMP without researching heavily the dangers and seeing for yourself what it looks like in person. In most cases it doesn't look natural and might become just another thing to worry about.

• Administrators

The picture isn’t very clear, if you believe you have a good headshpae do not waste your time on SMP, remember SMP is not three dimensional like hair. It may look natural whilst you have enough hair to blend in to it, but once that hair is lost, I don’t believe it to be a viable option, the other thing to consider is that you must keep going in for touch up sessions every 1-2 years. There is also another possibility of the color fading in to a greenish tint. Although, most SMP clinics will tell you this is a non issue anymore, I’m not sure they can say that for certain as SMP hasn’t been around long enough to know, this is a tattoo, we mustn’t forget that. Will it look natural to have SMP when you’re 50-60-70? How will the tattoo look then? These aren’t really answers anyone can give you.

Lastly, my suggestion is if you feel you have a good head shape, shave your head, see what kind of reaction you get, remember the most important thing is your confidence, trust me as long as you’re happy with the reflection in the mirror nothing else matters.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Of course everyone looks considerably better with hair, but if you are not willing to take finasteride then I do think it is a good idea to just accept and embrace baldness man, your head shape seems solid. But when you do make that leap just understand there is no going back. SMP probably wont provide you a satisfying outcome, and you could never get an HT unless you were on finasteride.

With your age and hairloss I would definitely either just 1) shave move on and accept 2) try and fight it but only if you are willing to take fin, if not then forget it and stick to option 1

If I thought you'd look bad with a shaved head, I'd simply stay quiet. On the basis of what you've shown us (which is somewhat incomplete without facial features) I would say that you're someone who would look good with a shaved head. SMP can give some great results but I don't see it as essential for looking good buzzed down.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com