FUE without Shaving whole head

Currently looking into FUE (as per my last post) and thinking of DrReddy (I have a consultation booked for next week with him)

I think I am looking at around 1000 grafts in the crown and 1,500 at front. (As recommended by dr asim shahmalak at a previous consultation) but will of course see what Dr Redy recommends

In terms of shaving my head- I understand the donor area must be shaved, but do I need to shave my whole head?

Currently looking into FUE (as per my last post) and thinking of DrReddy (I have a consultation booked for next week with him)

I think I am looking at around 1000 grafts in the crown and 1,500 at front. (As recommended by dr asim shahmalak at a previous consultation) but will of course see what Dr Redy recommends

In terms of shaving my head- I understand the donor area must be shaved, but do I need to shave my whole head?

If you're having 2500 grafts placed in the front and crown then it will be difficult for you to pull of any style with the shaven donor and recipient areas. With that many grafts it will be better for the surgeons to work on a blank canvas so I would advise you to shave the head.

Edited by Shera

I agree. It's possible for them to only shave the exact recipient areas, but I tried this in hopes that the unshaven hair could be styled over the recipient area/grafts and found it to be too challenging and looked too strange. I ended up buzzing the entire top about a week or so after my procedure.

There are some doctors that will do an unshaven FUE, but this is much more time consuming and considerably more expensive and there's a much lower cap on how many grafts can be done this way in a single session. I say bite the bullet and just shave it all. It's a small price to pay for what will hopefully be very solid results in the long run.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Yes it's possible, some surgeons (Bisanga and Konior based on experience) will allow you to have a mohawk hair cut where they shave all of the donor and then only the immediate recipient area where the grafts will be placed.

This allows for reduced downtime (unless you're already buzzed down) and I prefer this method.

Based on research Erdogan does not allow for partial shaving.

Good luck in your hair restoration journey

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Right and this is only for patients with a virgin scalp.

If this is your second or subsequent procedure they will refuse you this procedure.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I have to agree with everyone above. Just go ahead and shave your whole head especially if your looking at 2,500 grafts. It grows back at about 1/2 inch per month and will look much better with uniformed growth rates over your entire head. Best of luck to you.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Strategic shaving (like the mohawk) can work in some cases. Some cases will be easier to hide than others, for example a small hairline procedure might be easy to conceal by keeping the top long. In most cases, I think an all over buzz cut is more tidy and makes the surgery less conspicuous within a shorter time.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Dr Cooley who we all know as being highly rated here, does the majority of his procedures unshaved. In fact, i recall him mentioning to me that only a few patients have asked him to shave the hair prior to the procedure being undertaken.

You'll see a poster (BuzzBee) who has recently had a FUE session (I'm sure there are more, if you do a quick search) without the need of shaving any of the recipient area.