Not enough density?

I recently got a hair transplant that came out to 4800 hairs and i'm curious if this hair density will cover the bald corners I have on my head well, or will it look too thin in comparison to the very strong front middle section that I have. I attached pics of about 8 days after the surgery. Any thoughts? I can add more pictures if. Needed.

20171128_115516.thumb.jpg.307832529590f66f2e0f57ce12298e94.jpg

20171128_115354.thumb.jpg.7de0c10230294cfc716703342775af08.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hard to say just yet, will know in due course though.

Not unusual to need a second procedure for density...but if you had 4800 hairs in just the temples, you either have fine hair or else did not appear to get the full 4800 you were told.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Did you go with a highly recommended surgeon and one who has been vetted by this forum as a surgeon who does not produce subpar results?

My initial feeling is that you will not get the density you desire on this pass as the grafts are spaced out too far apart.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I went with Dr Dan Mcgrath in Texas. I was told he got 4800 hairs, not grafts. 22.5cm per square inch was taken.I do not have fine hair. I actually have a great donor with very thick hair well over 200cm per square inch.

Edited by twf123

Wait 12-18 months and do another surgery if not enough density. Probably go with someone who dense-packs hairline w/alot of experience.

Most U.S. doctors always error on the side of caution in 1st surgery 'cause they want you to get nearly all the grafts to grow.

It's okay work - just hard to get desired density in one surgery. Next surgery a good hairline doc can go in between all of the spaces and give the 'appearance' of near normal density.

Yeah 4800 hairs is much better than grafts. You could have had only 1500 grafts placed and get 4800 hairs. WidowsPeek is right, you'd need two surgeries anyway to get really great density. So, even if you don't get the density you desire, you'll need another one anyway.

I personally do not feel like this is gonna be the one to give you great density. But you didn't waste any donor hair. The work seems FINE. It looks placed well and all that, just not close together enough. This isn't a waste, I'd think of this as STEP ONE in a multi-year TWO STEP process. That may not be what you want to hear right now but I just want to prepare you for this outcome. I'm no expert obviously, and if the hair grows with great density then, hey, that's great. But it just doesn't appear to be as densely packed as it could be if it were from a top surgeon.

I went with Dr Dan Mcgrath in Texas. I was told he got 4800 hairs, not grafts. 22.5cm per square inch was taken.I do not have fine hair. I actually have a great donor with very thick hair well over 200cm per square inch.

This reply is more for others still in the research stage, but why did you chose Dr Dan Mcgrath?

Can't say I've ever heard of him..

Did you research surgeons who were known for producing dense and natural results?

Even starting a thread on this forum something like "Who produces dense and natural results?" would be a good starting point.

Actually it's much easier to produce a very densed-packed HT during the first pass into virgin scalp, than it is to transplant in between existing hairs whether they be native hairs or transplanted ones.

Again not giving you a hard time, but trying to help those out there who are still researching dense result hair transplants.

Make sure that surgeon who is going to be cutting open your scalp is one of the best in the world before proceeding.

Hope the density works out for you in the end.

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• Valued Contributor

twf123, I’m assuming you live in the Austin area. I know people who have but most people don’t come from out of state to visit Dr. McGrath in Austin, Tx. If you do live in Austin then do some research into Arocha Hair Restoration in Houston. Their prices are relatively the same but he is excellent at placing grafts in between existing hairs, be they natural or transplanted. He is also recommended on this forum. Check out his website and his YouTube page. If you don’t live in the area then I second what everyone else is saying; wait the 12 to 18 months and in that time do a lot of research into recomended Doctors. Arocha is an excellent option, though.

• Valued Contributor
This reply is more for others still in the research stage, but why did you chose Dr Dan Mcgrath?

hsrp10, I’m not saying this is why OP chose Dr. McGrath but he has a bit of a YouTube following after having done a couple of repair cases on some popular YouTubers who’ve had hair transplants elsewhere. The two youtubers have no relation to one another but their videos are extremely well received on YouTube. He’s a bit old school but specializes in both FUT/FUE, PRP, and SMP. He speaks like a very ethical and competent doctor and the posted videos are pretty informative. All that being said, I live less than half a mile from his office and I’m still hard pressed to even do a consultation with him. To me, anyone can talk a big game but results are what speak to me and he doesn’t have a whole lot to show online.

I know you said that your post was for others still researching and that’s exactly why I threw in my two pennies.

hsrp10, I’m not saying this is why OP chose Dr. McGrath but he has a bit of a YouTube following after having done a couple of repair cases on some popular YouTubers who’ve had hair transplants elsewhere. The two youtubers have no relation to one another but their videos are extremely well received on YouTube. He’s a bit old school but specializes in both FUT/FUE, PRP, and SMP. He speaks like a very ethical and competent doctor and the posted videos are pretty informative. All that being said, I live less than half a mile from his office and I’m still hard pressed to even do a consultation with him. To me, anyone can talk a big game but results are what speak to me and he doesn’t have a whole lot to show online.

I know you said that your post was for others still researching and that’s exactly why I threw in my two pennies.

I do not live in Texas, but after all the things I heard from him on youtube, and when speaking with him he seemed like very knowledgeable and seemed very sincere. He didn't seem as though he was trying to get your money, but rather do what he can to help and inform his patients. I heard a lot about bad doctors in the industry,and I really liked what I was hearing from him so I decided to go with him. He is on the board of American society of hair restoration surgery, and only does hair transplant work. He offered me $500 off for travel, and he also offers FUE into the FUT scar for free after everything heals (I had an FUT procedure). He also lowers his price significantly for return patients. So if I did go back to him I could get the same amount of hair for $2000 less. I liked everything he was saying/offering and that's why I chose him. I was expecting a second surgery for maximum coverage, I was just wondering if this won't by itself look too bad/obvious when it grows in. If anyone has any suggestions for other doctors could you make a case as to why I should choose them? I am honestly very curious. I thought my choice was a good one.

Study Hasson & Wong 2nd & 3rd surgeries where they dense pack into the hairline and refine the frontal inch of hair in their pics and video comb throughs.

You'll see the difference! That's the kind of final result you want (density/angulation/irregularity) with framing your face for your final results.

I'll probably go to them when I want my final frontal hairline results after maxing out fut and fue surgeries.

I'm waiting for the final result before I get into who I chose. I had 1700 grafts done and it was a close decision. McGrath seemed like a skilled professional guy to me, no complaints about my visit.

Edited by Detour

Guys, I live in Austin and know Dr. McGrath's practice.

He isn't a bad surgeon but he isn't an elite one and he entertains a few things from his Ziering/ MHR background that should give you pause.

He has a sales consultant for one thing, a practice straight from the hair mill playbook, and the guy is a perfectly nice guy, but he's still in sales.

Secondly, this perfectly nice guy was hired to come over to McGrath from a Floridian based doctor who lost his license after going insane and thinking he was Jesus Christ for a spell and who is not mentioned by name on this forum for legal reasons, but the now unlicensed physician (at least he was for a while) is a problematic hack that is prevalent on youtube.

His previous consultant had an MHR background and worked for Dr. Carlos Puig, a very controversial physician who has been sued many times for his work in the 70s and 80s...he's a bit of a dinosaur, came up in an era of hair flaps and genuine plugs. That consultant has moved on to try and become an actor...

He also doesn't offer grafts but hair count, which is a bit of a dicey way of trying to gauge what you're actually getting from him.

So although to his credit, I think he is not a butcher, I do not think he is elite and he employs some questionable sales tactics manned by guys that have had undesirable affiliations with quacks and hair mills.

If it were my scalp, I'd investigate other options.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I think he's referring to that young singer dude in the Philippines that shills out McGrath's services w/his consultant on youtube.

Speegs is spot on 100% w/his analysis - every word of it can be confirmed and verified.

The youtube guy is cringeworthy. The guy paints his hair, doesn't take fin or minox (but does do a laser helmet which of course he gets a cut off of if you use his coupon code) and is all about page views and making money off of multiple business income streams.

I really detest the guy.

Finally, McGrath's own plugs are very old and he should really do a frontal hairline refinement w/a bit more bulk behind it.