The one glaring example of where some HT doctors’ advice doesn’t make sense...

My main gripe is with regard to post op care and buzz cutting your hair.

According to Bernstein’s study

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/research/graft-anchoring-in-hair-transplantation/

“The study showed that for the first two days, pulling on a hair always resulted in a lost graft, but the chance of the graft being removed started to decrease by the third day. By the sixth day pulling on a hair would no longer dislodge the graft. Pulling on an adherent scab always resulted in a lost graft through day five, with the incidence decreasing through day eight. However, by nine days post-op, grafts were no longer at risk of being dislodged.”

Unless this study’s findings have been disproven (and I’m not aware that it has), why is there so much conflicting advice from HT doctors on when it is safe to buzz your grafts?

I personally wouldn't advise a patient to buzz his/her hair in the implantation zone at all. Why?...... its going to fall out anyway over the coming weeks, buzzing just seems so unnecessary at this particular time.

If they insist I would strongly advise them to at least wait until the crusts have all fallen off after about 10 to 14 days, and even then as Dolph states, be very gentle.

I think 10 days post op and being careful is OK as long as the scabs are gone.

Some of the docs want to be cautious.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

This is the study Dr. Mohebi bases his post-care recommendations on as well and I've never understood why this study isn't more well circulated. I understand erring on the side of caution and preferring to be better safe than sorry, but I've literally seen posts on here over the years from patients being told by their surgeons that they couldn't buzz their head for 6 months which makes absolutely zero sense to me.

I (very carefully) buzzed the area surrounding the transplanted hairs about 5 days after my procedure because I decided I wanted to go the buzz cut route for my recovery and there were no issues. Then at two weeks I started buzzing my whole head (again - always very gently/carefully).

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Bottomline is better safe than sorry, why risk such an expensive investment as your finite donor grafts?

I think the peace of mind is worth waiting at least 10 to 14 days or more.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016