Billy Joel

Spanker

I was doing listening to some music on YouTube and Billy Joel's piano man came on, the video from 1885. He would have been 35 or 36. He looks like a norwood 2 working on 2.5. Nice hair. I looked a pic of him now and the dude is a nw7. Blew my mind. Lucky he didn't get a ht. This is example of super bad luck generics in terms of ht. Generally, 35-40 year old guys feel pretty safe about what type of hair loss they'll end up with. Thought it was interesting. Fin for life for me.

Screenshot_20170617-214118.jpg.f2dee441c67b086dc6af9ad1fa89ecf2.jpg

Screenshot_20170617-214203.jpg.543437832a352852b50966d53011edf0.jpg

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I was doing listening to some music on YouTube and Billy Joel's piano man came on, the video from 1885. He would have been 35 or 36. He looks like a norwood 2 working on 2.5. Nice hair. I looked a pic of him now and the dude is a nw7. Blew my mind. Lucky he didn't get a ht. This is example of super bad luck generics in terms of ht. Generally, 35-40 year old guys feel pretty safe about what type of hair loss they'll end up with. Thought it was interesting. Fin for life for me.

Its all in the hair line, I remember when I was about 22 when I had loads of hair I mean loads of hair ,an uncle took it upon himself

to examine my hair -line he reckoned he was an expert on predicting if someone would go bald or not .lovely fella he was said 'Mick

you're not gonna keep it son ' and of course he was right ,as much hair as I had you could see the hair-line wasn't regular there was a slight jaggedness to it ,unlike my younger brother who had a perfect regular hairline and who still has a full head of hair at age 52

yep all in the hairline ,always remember those words 'You're not gonna keep it son'

Below a pic of me age 24, hair soaking wet, when dry loads of volume . Second pic 2.5 years ago pre op ,third pic post op about 2 months ago, May 2017 2.3 years post op. 4th pic taken with high definition DSLR cam .

Just to add Im aged 54 now and I reckon my hair loss wasn't stable until I reached age 50, so even if you get to 40 with your hair doesn't mean you're going to keep it .

20170618_045508.thumb.jpg.38e638b44537d260f203ad6292a4f31a.jpg

5b32f46045e49_Photoon18-12-2014at10.59(2).thumb.jpg.811d67f15f4dad2b6be5d9cb10b21fc7.jpg

5b32f46061648_Photoon18-06-2017at05.52(2).jpg.19849e41d9c373cc8627bf01efb31755.jpg

DSC_0388.thumb.jpg.3cddf1213194b21cdc23ad9046cc0179.jpg

Edited by Mick50

I was doing listening to some music on YouTube and Billy Joel's piano man came on, the video from 1885. ... Fin for life for me.

Well, poor guy is around 160 now, sure he will be a NW 7 ;-)

Jokes aside, my father is a difusse thinner (that is where I got it from), and he continusly is losing hair. With 40 he appeared to have a full head of hear for an untrained eye. Now, being 68, he is almost a NW5. Fin for life for me as well, or until I switch on Dut or the cure in 2030...

There's always the possibility that Billy Joel was wearing a hair system back in his younger days. I haven't followed his career so I don't know.

Mick50, your hair transformation looks very impressive, I must say!

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Yeah, this is interesting indeed. Given that he was around 35 and seemingly a Norwood 2 (assuming the top of his scalp showed hair as thick as what appears in the hairline), I would guess that MattJ is right and that he may have been sporting a hair system in his younger days. Most people at 35 years of age don't lose a substantial amount of hair and go from a Norwood 2 to a Norwood 7. It's not impossible, but it is unlikely.

Best wishes,

Bill

• Administrators

I don't think billly Joel wore a hair piece, I think it was two things, he has thick curly hair that added an illusion of coverage and his hair loss was slow, but i bet if he would've shaved his head in his 30's you would've seen a horse shoe miniaturization pattern. It's rare that someone with his hair loss pattern has such a slow rate of loss, but it's not that out of the ordinary, that's why it's always good to do a shave test; once you shave then you see what your loss really is, there's also a possibility billy Joel wore concealer, I know GLH existed back then and it was similar to toppik.

Take ed O'Neil for example the first photo is him in 1985 at age 39 spankers age, he's a Norwood 3 maybe, now at 70 he's a Norwood 6 with a forelock. I think the same thing, the pattern was probably always there just couldn't see it due to the styling of the hair. This is why miniaturization tests are so important because sometimes the naked eye can't detect miniaturization but that doesn't mean that it's not there, both of those guys probably had miniaturization throughout the entire scalp lucky for them the loss was slow.

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I don't think billly Joel wore a hair piece, I think it was two things, he has thick curly hair that added an illusion of coverage and his hair loss was slow, but i bet if he would've shaved his head in his 30's you would've seen a horse shoe miniaturization pattern. It's rare that someone with his hair loss pattern has such a slow rate of loss, but it's not that out of the ordinary, that's why it's always good to do a shave test; once you shave then you see what your loss really is, there's also a possibility billy Joel wore concealer, I know GLH existed back then and it was similar to toppik.

Take ed O'Neil for example the first photo is him in 1985 at age 39 spankers age, he's a Norwood 3 maybe, now at 70 he's a Norwood 6 with a forelock. I think the same thing, the pattern was probably always there just couldn't see it due to the styling of the hair. This is why miniaturization tests are so important because sometimes the naked eye can't detect miniaturization but that doesn't mean that it's not there, both of those guys probably had miniaturization throughout the entire scalp lucky for them the loss was slow.

I think Ed hung on pretty well. If call him a nw5. He was a nw3v when naked with children started. He's actually hung on better than I would have thought. His sides stayed high and he kept a diffused pattern.

I did the shave test before I booked my procedure at 33 and didn't have any advanced pattern, but hair loss is pretty unpredictable and I think early 30s is pretty young.

I've been really lucky though, being over 5 years post op with little change. I've been thinking of doing a minor touch up for my 40th birthday. I'll be on fin for 7 years in two months so I start seeing some lost ground soon. We'll see.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

There's always the possibility that Billy Joel was wearing a hair system back in his younger days. I haven't followed his career so I don't know.

Thanks mattj its a big improvement form where I started full-blown NW5 ,be nice to get the crown done but I guess at my age it doesn't look so bad going to wait and see what happens.

Thanks mattj its a big improvement form where I started full-blown NW5 ,be nice to get the crown done but I guess at my age it doesn't look so bad going to wait and see what happens.

You've achieved that all-important facial framing. Looks like it's knocked years off you!

You've achieved that all-important facial framing. Looks like it's knocked years off you!

Thanks again matty , some people may think at 52 why bother, and I get that, it's more traumatic for younger guys ,but at the same unfortunately people do perceive bald guys differently and I'm not the alpha male looking type who can pull the bald look off ,ha actually a lot of women like that look.

I'm just grateful the hair transplant industry has evolved over the ;past 20 years or so and can produce totally natural results ,I ve just met a new women online which Never would have done before transplant , ha sad but true folks .

Thanks again matty , some people may think at 52 why bother, and I get that, it's more traumatic for younger guys ,but at the same unfortunately people do perceive bald guys differently and I'm not the alpha male looking type who can pull the bald look off ,ha actually a lot of women like that look.

I'm just grateful the hair transplant industry has evolved over the ;past 20 years or so and can produce totally natural results ,I ve just met a new women online which Never would have done before transplant , ha sad but true folks .

I think it is more traumatic for younger guys because far fewer of their age group will be experiencing the same thing. As we get older, more and more of our friends will be balding but that doesn't mean we don't care. Improvements to our appearance can give us a boost at any age.

I met my girlfriend online too. I joined a 100% free dating site and was amazed at how many girls I know were on there. Have you met the woman in question yet?

I think it is more traumatic for younger guys because far fewer of their age group will be experiencing the same thing. As we get older, more and more of our friends will be balding but that doesn't mean we don't care. Improvements to our appearance can give us a boost at any age.

I met my girlfriend online too. I joined a 100% free dating site and was amazed at how many girls I know were on there. Have you met the woman in question yet?

Have indeed, had a few dates already, alls good ,just great on the first date not to have to wear a hat and worry about my hair or rather lack of it,didn't see her once glance at my hairline , luckily it look totally natural.

I just turned 48, and just started losing a lot of density mid-scalp to top of crown. Already had 3,600 in temples and hairline. Doc said I had about 10,000 lifetime grafts 2 yrs ago. So I hope I have enough to finish up. Might have to get back on fin.

It can happen late.

I have my suspicions that Bowie must have been wearing wigs/systems for some time.

I don't think billly Joel wore a hair piece, I think it was two things, he has thick curly hair that added an illusion of coverage and his hair loss was slow, but i bet if he would've shaved his head in his 30's you would've seen a horse shoe miniaturization pattern.

Quite possibly.

What I question is what affect his long term alcohol abuse and potential drug use had on his hair health?