Questions to Ask the Surgeons

Good morning!

I will be visiting my shortlist of surgeons next month. I will do a write up of my meetings with them as they may be useful for other potential patients. I would like to know from experienced posters and/or doctors on here what questions you think I should ask them?

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

spex nailed them all, but do expand on his question 20, one question I found really helpful in making my choice was asking even if they hadn't had surgery for them to tell me who they would choose to perform their surgery in the event they needed it. Gives you an idea of who they respect and think are talents.

Make sure you have these written down and any other questions you can think of. Also if at all possible take someone with you you trust as your emotions will be running high and its easy to forget to ask the relevant questions.

1.What kind of procedures do you perform does the clinic perform ie. Strip, FUE , BHT - if so for how long and ask to see results and be put in touch with actual patients.

2. What type of donor closure does the hair transplant surgeon use? Does he use sutures or staples, and why does he use his chosen technique?

What type and size of instruments does the hair transplant doctor use to make recipient incisions?

3.What is the length of time that this hair transplant physician has been performing hair transplant surgery?Ask about his credentials and experience and governing bodies he /she are assosiated with.

4. How many hair transplant technicians are employeed with their clinic? What is the length of time each hair technician has worked for the clinic?

5. Ask if you are a good candidate and ask for an explanation to why? Ask to see similar comparisons.

6. What is the state of your donor region and how many grafts does the doc feel can be safely harvested in one session and via multiple surgeries / methods?

7. Gain an estimate of how many grafts you require now and also how many are likely to be required in the futured based on your goal.

8. How good your donor laxity and how you can improve this prior to surgery IF required. can they demonstrate

9. Make sure you discuss YOUR exact goals (hairline, temples, forelock, crown, hair density, hair coverage, etc)

10. Ask how many grafts the doctor will use in your balding area

11.Ask if your goals are reasonable and if they can be met with your hair characterisitcs.

12. Establish how suitable you are for a HT in their opinon.

13. Very importantly ask if you can meet or talk to previous patients in similar circumstances to yourself. Also ask to see testimonials and plenty of photos.

14.Ask about costs involved eg. prices of consults(if applicable), amounts per graft and additional aftercare, medications etc as most clinics vary from some degree and its good to know exactly where you stand!

15. Can I get a reduced fee for short notice surgery? Travel reimbursement?and ask how long their wating list is.

16. Discuss medications such as propecia and finasteride to help prevent further loss. Ask if they can perscribe?

17. Does this hair transplant clinic dissect hair grafts from the strip using a microscope?

18. Ask about post op and pre op instructions. Can you have a list (hardcopy)

19. Can you record the entire consultation? If no, walk out.

20. Have they had any HT surgery? If so who with?

Red flags

"Just had a cancellation and we can see you next week."

Discounts

Special deals

Cold calling by consultants or doctors

No results to show

No patients to speak to or see

Small number of staff

____

Feel free to visit my website: SpexHair

Representative and Patient Advisor for:

Dr. Bijan Feriduni, Coalition Member,Dr. Alan Feller, Coalition Member , Dr. William Lindsey, Coalition Member and Dr. Scott Alexander, Coalition Member

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. I am salaried by all the surgeons I work for.

Hi Spex, thanks so much for replying to this thread. I had been looking around on this forum for something like this for a while. Its nice to know that some of the questions you have referred to, I was asking as well. They will definitely help structure my next consultation! ;)

One question, I've been speaking to some previous patients (as you quite rightly suggested) to get there experiences and details on their procedures. Although I come out of the discussion feeling good about a particular doctor, I cant help but also feel (and I could be wrong!) that these patients could be paid employees (not sure how else to describe it) trying to bump up business? I guess what I am asking is how can you differentiate between "actual" patients and "paid employees"?

On a side note, TrixGlendevon thanks for asking this question. I had been meaning to ask the same but just didn't get around to it!

Spex - that is great thanks. I have already asked some of them in email consultations which is how they have made the short list to begin with. Some of them are great questions that I wouldn't have thought to ask though - I also especially like number 20 and hadn't thought of asking it. I like the advice of writing them down too beforehand as I would probably forget them if not. This reply will greatly help me structure my appointments with the surgeons. Much appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

-Straight up ask to see the actual surgical consent forms prior to putting down any deposit.

-Some Surgeons may say anything behind closed doors to get you in the chair. Just be very cautious.

-Ask them in writing what they offer if the surgery goes bad? This is important, free repair ir full refund or what.

-Ask them to have only the longest member of surgerical team in the room for your procedure. That means no rotating or visiting techs.

-Ask them if you are the only confirmed scheduled surgery for the day or is the doc working on multiple patients. You do not want a tired doctor.

-Ask them to know their surgical protocol, who does what and who does surgical aspects of surgery including extractions.

Lot more, i can keep going. Pm me if you got questions, ill even skype if need be.

Overall, be really careful with this surgery. Trust me on that.

Spex just about covers it all.

This isn't so much a question, but I would not consider any surgeon that only does hair part-time and offers all kinds of other cosmetic treatments and surgery. An elite hair transplant surgeon that only does hair has an office, staff, technicians, and equipment that is ONLY focused on hair transplants. That kind of daily "hair only" focus has to be an advantage.

ps: The only Spex suggestion I personally would not do is this:

"19. Can you record the entire consultation? If no, walk out"

In my mind if I was a surgeon I would see that as a potential red-flag patient.

I would immediately not be at ease.

I want my surgeon to be relaxed and at ease during my consult

Not worrying about being entrapped later.

But that's just me....2EachHisOwn.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.