Sun Exposure 2 Months Post Op

Hi,

I probably have post transplant paranoia but do I need to be concerned about being in the sun for a short time? I'm just over 2 months post op and spent 10 minutes walking to train station and another few minutes walking to shops before I remembered panicked and bought a hat!

The sun is quite strong today, well for the UK in March anyway! The Uv levels were 3 I think!

Cheers

Hi,

I probably have post transplant paranoia but do I need to be concerned about being in the sun for a short time? I'm just over 2 months post op and spent 10 minutes walking to train station and another few minutes walking to shops before I remembered panicked and bought a hat!

The sun is quite strong today, well for the UK in March anyway! The Uv levels were 3 I think!

Cheers

May you post any photos? Was your scalp burned?

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I doubt 10 minutes of sunlight did anything more than give you vitamin D, were you burned?

That said, transplant or no transplant, sun burn to the scalp can cause scar tissue that makes future transplantation difficult.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

It's weird because I swear I responded to this topic, either that or there was another topic exactly like this. But allow me to respond. Staying in the sun for a short period of time, depending on how that's to find two months after surgery should be just fine. Whether you've had surgery or not, it's a bad idea to expose your Scott to the song for an extended period of time as it could cause significant sunburn and other skin related problems. It's my understanding that even extended closer to the scalp after surgery unless it's a mediately after surgery, may extend post operative redness however, your grafts are safe.

Best wishes,

Bill

Kids, don't drink and text. Bill what is a "Scott to the song" and "extended closer to the scalp"?!?!

I'm joking of course we've all mistyped and with auto-correct these days it's even harder to respond quickly.

There are a lot of postings on this topic--brief exposure really is not bad but there are instances where even brief exposure can cause redness--21 days after my first surgery I stepped out briefly in the noon sun in August and sure enough my sensitive scalp turned red at the surgery sites. It did not affect outcome but any significant burn in the first months could require intervention quickly to minimize inflammation which can damage newly growing transplanted hair (let alone regular hair). Intervention meaning anti-inflammatories or even a steroid shot--I think one of the doctors here actually related exactly that story regarding a patient getting a steroid shot after a burn to his scalp after a transplant.

Anyway Goblin you will be fine based on what you reported.

Once the hairs grow out its fine to expose to sun, after all the HT is supposed to give you ability to manage your hair the natural way. Including exposure to sun, moon, jupiter, saturn, water etc...

Good luck on the anticipated great result. Keep us informed about your hair transplantation surgery.