Late Life Hairloss for Consideration- Bush 43

Spanker

So the unfortunate fact is that donor hair is finite and hairloss is progressive and unpredictable.

Personally, I have pretty good hair for my age at 38, and a lot of young guys think that 40 is kind of ancient.

However, it is not. I noticed today during the inaugural that Bush 43 (G.W. Bush) has had pretty progressive hairloss in his frontal 3rd over the past 8 years (he is about 70 years old now). Which kind of surprised me as we think of men being pretty stable by then.

If he wanted a transplant, his hair could be easily fixed as his donor looks great, but if he would have had a transplant with a youthful hairline (like mine), it would take an extra 2k grafts to do it possibly. So I guess my point is that hairloss is never really truely stable and that planning a transplant (especially the placement) should be weighed against the what you need not only for the next 10 years but even the next 30 or more.

This doesn't mean that you should all get 70 year old hairlines (mine is pretty youthful myself), but you should consider that may be able to plant a cm higher, or that you would be happier with a higher hairline in ten years and for the 30 it may be something you should consider.

The same goes with density. 28 year old you will likely be much more picky about your density, however, as time goes on, you will likely be much more accepting of lighter density (as your peers continue to bald around you).

Anyway, just some thoughts I would share.

Hopefully, there will be something so great come out that 28 year old you never has to worry about 68 year old you's hairloss.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators

I don't know spanker I mean at 70 years old isn't some hair loss to be expected? Even if we were to have transplants at some point we will continue to thin, if we were to live up to 150 years of age I would imagine 99% of men would have extensive hair loss even those on finasteride with transplants.

IMO there is a point in which I personally don't feel it looks bad, I think Ronald Reagan looked stranger with his youthful hairline than George W Bush does now. I agree 40 is not old, it's not young either though no offense. But certainly at 70 I really don't see anything wrong with some hair loss, of course this is just my opinion, I know many guys hate hair loss at any age which is understandable, I guess having experienced extensive loss so young I'm a bit less phased as the average older guy with minimal loss. I don't think anyone would be shocked that a 70 year old has some thinning.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

This topic hits home for me, certainly. At 67 now, the casual observer would comment that I 'still have a pretty good head of hair' for my age. I think I expected that though as I had the vision of a very slow receding old rock and roller - or to agree with the above posts, living up to the expected slow recession that age certainly brings. No one who meets me now would know that I was a NW6 just 4 years ago. So for me, Mission accomplished.

Not so easy for a 28 year old though, and I imagine that anticipating your gradual hair loss with aging is really a guessing game. No one wants to wait until 64 like I did but in my case it was all good for me.

Ultimately, have realistic expectation and expect to live to 90!!

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Yeah a prospective HT patient really has to plan for the long-term future especially hairline height, mine is "high-esh" at slightly under 6.5cm but because I didn't go aggressive to lower it I had enough donor left to do things like fine tune the temple corners and most recently the temple points.

Also, some may want to take into consideration the possibility of stopping Fin at some point or even the chance of it not working at some point too in your planning.

As for Bush he seemed to have progressed in the temple corners more than I expected but still has enough hair at 70 where I'd not consider him as bald. Reason being he kept his forward protruding lower temple points in tact which helps with a somewhat younger look, as opposed to losing the temple points which can really age you.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• Administrators

Looks likeGeorge W must've seen this thread

OsHMi53.jpg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yeah, W has had some temporal recession since after leaving office, interestingly Bush 41 has maintained that recessed hairline into his 90s.

His is an interesting case as he was highly receded in his 30s. He really hung on to it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I noticed the same thing today. Was a bit surprised how much recession Bush 43 showed just 8 years after he left office and at age 70.

Good post and definitely something to think about.

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!