29 Yrs Old Australian - Should I get a HT now?

Hi All,

So I have been lurking in the shadows for quite some time now waiting to see if i should one day take the daunting step of undergoing a hair transplant.

I first started noticing hairloss around the age of 24, when my barber brushed my hair back revealing a very noticeable receding hairline in the temples to which I just about fell off the chair in horror. From that point I went straight into research mode and educated myself on every way possible to prevent / slow this confidence hindering genetic ailment. Unfortunately for me I have a very large head and features and short hair / shaven does not suit me whatsoever! I need my hair :eek:

I have been religiously using propecia and minoxidil since I was 24. I shampoo with revita every day and every 4th day or so mix in some Nizoral 2%. I am very big on health supplements and vitamins and their role in inhibiting DHT conversion and general health and my current regime consist of pumpkin seed oil, fenugreek extract, stinging nettle root, ashwaghanda, shilijit, biotin, primrose oil and saw palmetto. I also take hair covets tablets just for some over kill. I turn 29 in a few months and believe that I have dramatically reduced my potential hair loss. If not for these supplements I believe I would be a Norwood 3 or worse. But really that is just an assumption. I am a Norwood 2 now.

I always thought I would wait until I was at least 30 years old until I seriously considered the HT route. Given I will be 29 and my hair loss does not seem to be dramatically worsening I figure why not now? I am single, I can take time off work mid 2017, I have the money and really just want to leave that burden of always wondering if my hair is still perfectly in place to hide my receding temples (I can style my hair as to conceal most of the loss). My philosophy is you only live once, and given the fact I will be entering my 30s in the coming years I want to fully regain my confidence and lets be honest - look better.

But I am also not naive and want to make an educated and informed decision. If I undergo a HT now to restore my hairline I know there is a very good chance I will require more in the future. This does not exactly worry me as I believe the next 10 years will be the prime of my life given the fact I am single, have worked hard all my 20’s to become somewhat financially ‘adequate,’ wanting to travel and just want that little bit of confidence back that I am sure most of you can relate too. I could wait until I am 35 / 40.. but feel it may be somewhat of a waste my glory days by then.

So, this is where I would appreciate your opinion – is it wise for me to go ahead with such a procedure given my age, supplement regime and attached pictures?

As I am located in Australia I was leaning towards an FUE procedure with Dr Laorwong from Absolute Hair Clinic in Bangkok. I have read positive reviews from this forum from another Australian and he is a member of the ABHRS.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have attached some pics with wet hair to fully show the hair loss. If i underwent the procedure i would opt to not shave my head (only the donor area) as i would like to hide this from everyone :D

15785531_10154348943148915_1954423107_o.thumb.jpg.ec064c3584a9e53c6d1b121438169d46.jpg

15776378_10154348942793915_861134646_o.thumb.jpg.8fa1a0488aeb26d3f15f1025bbfb7a8b.jpg

15778462_10154348943038915_42746126_o.thumb.jpg.9edfbf4cd67b5823a5de1f9a2cafeb3d.jpg

15776248_10154348943103915_1320284146_o.thumb.jpg.7384d95a2f3d0dd349828d397d5a1511.jpg

I think you have maintained well with a mature hairline and seems only the temple corners have taken a slight hit.

What is the impetus to have it done now? Have you reached the savings goal amount, have the extra down time, had a bad experience etc?

Also did you do your research to pinpoint whether FUT or FUE would be best for your individual case, and do you have a shortlist of the top 3 surgeons worldwide in each area (FUT or FUE) and what the pros and cons of each doctor are?

I have never heard of Dr Laorwong and I suggest you research a bit more to find the very best FUE surgeon out there.

good luck

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I guess I was always waiting for the big 30. Plus I am getting to that stage that I would like to possibly start a serious relationship and the hairloss has always played on my confidence - I always seem to think of how my hair looks when im with a girl which is very hindering in all aspects :)

Yes i've been reading reviews for the past few years. As I believe i would not require too many graphs I was leaning towards FUE due to the minimal downturn and the fact I shave my back and sides to a blade 2/3.

In terms of surgeons I was looking at Turkey and the major few there but given the long distance and world events I have scratched that from the list. Dr Path is on my shortlist, along with Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong. These two seem to be the best surgeons in the region.

Are you going for the temple corners only? Or any hairline lowering?

If temple corners only agree not so many grafts are needed as it's not required to go heavily dense in that area.

What makes Dr. Laorwong the best fue surgeon in the region?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Just fill in the temple corners to bring back my original hairline.

In terms of surgeons for that region I believe my 3 options are Dr Path, Dr Pong and Dr Laorwong.

Given the fact that I believe a non-shaven FUE procedure would be best (again - happy for input if i am wrong here) this rules out Dr Pong and Dr Path as I believe they only perform FUT. Dr Laorwong has an impressive portfolio of pictures on his website at http://www.absolutehairclinic.com.

Again - I am happy for all input and am here to learn and take on suggestions. If FUT would be best please let me know. Whilst Thailand is close to Australia I would also consider travelling to Europe etc if the price and surgeon made it the wisest option. I believe Dr Laorwong charges $2.85US per graft for FUE.

I orginally heard of Dr Laorwong from the below review:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/183378-1652-fue-grafts-dr-laorwong-absolute-hair-clinic-bangkok.html

Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong is a Graduate Fellow in Hair Restoration Surgery certified by International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery which has successfully completed in fellowship training. In FUE, Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong attended many workshops with well-known FUE experts e.g, Dr. Cole, Dr. Harris, Dr. Lorenzo. Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong is a Diplomate American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery which has certified since 2010 and now a Fellow ISHRS in 2014

Edited by Oliverqueen01

Yes, Just fill in the temple corners to get original hairline.

You can go with top fue surgeon Dr Kapil Dua (FISHRS) from India. He is one of the best fue hair transplant surgeon in world. Check his complete profile

Edited by jaswalraj1

Online Representative and Patient Advisor for:

Dr. Kapil Dua, AKClinics - Hair Transplant in Delhi, Ludhiana and Bangalore, Chennai - India.

Dr. Kapil Dua, Board of Governor at ISHRS(USA), Board of Governor at AAHRS, President of AHRS India

is a recommended surgeon at Hair Transplant Network.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Yes, Just fill in the temple corners to get original hairline.

You can go with top fue surgeon Dr Kapil Dua (FISHRS) from India. He is one of the best fue hair transplant surgeon in world. Check his complete profile - and best result by him

Knock it off, man

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Given the fact that I believe a non-shaven FUE procedure would be best (again - happy for input if i am wrong here)

Non-shaven is best when you really don't have the long down time required after a procedure where they make you shave your entire head.

Partial shaving is also an option at some clinics, or even non-shaven fue in the recipient area only but they shave down the donor.

The best for overall results is to shave down, this gives the surgeon a clear picture as to what he is working with both donor and recipient areas.

From the patient's side I think partial shaven is the best if you have to back to work in a short amount of time or back into the social area/public eye.

Btw the FUE surgeons mentioned in my signature are some of the best in the world, but do your research and if possible don't limit yourself just to Thailand.

The FUE masters in Belgium should also be considered: Feriduni, Bisanga, Lupanzula etc.

go dense or go home

Thank you for your input hsrp10,

Agreed completely shaven would be the best method, however I ideally would only like to take 3 weeks max off work so a shaved donor area and possibly a partially shaved front hairline would be ideal in order to conceal the HT from my co-workers.

Thank you for the suggested surgeons however given my location in Australia the travel and AUD conversion to Euro would make the price just sky rocket (I assume - I am yet to get prices from any Belgium surgeons).

Edited by Oliverqueen01

You're probably looking at around 1800 or so to do your corners and temple points. I wouldn't drop the front of the hairline. Assuming you don't have extensive miniaturization anywhere and your donor is good, I think you are a candidate.

Screenshot_2016-12-28-09-34-13.thumb.jpg.aa469efef118ecdbe9ec7b3936e5f703.jpg

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Looking at your surgeon choices and you being fine with Dr Path apart from the FUT part.

I just want to add that Dr Rahal in Canada is the same price as him and Dr. Bisanga isn't much more expensive. Dr Jean Devroye is also around the same price.

Thai surgeon's really aren't that cheap anymore and you can get the same cost in Europe/North america if you shop smart.

Looking at your surgeon choices and you being fine with Dr Path apart from the FUT part.

I just want to add that Dr Rahal in Canada is the same price as him and Dr. Bisanga isn't much more expensive. Dr Jean Devroye is also around the same price.

Thai surgeon's really aren't that cheap anymore and you can get the same cost in Europe/North america if you shop smart.

Rahal does fue for $4aud?

3 weeks is plenty recovery time

I would say 3 weeks minimum, to totally recover, so no one knows. Even then, you will probably have some redness in the recipient area. You could get a non shave done, just the donor shaved and a surgeon who would work around your existing hair length. You could hide the work with your fringe.

Based on your pictures, it looks like slight maturing, or some recession. I would maybe give a a few years, if you're stable on meds. If it is really bothering you, get the work done.

Little update. Ive been burning the midnight oil and doing considerable research on the best surgeons and price. Below is my current list:

Ranked from lowest to highest in price* based on 2000 grafts in which ive been quoted by a few of the below:

DR LOARWONG = $3.44 AUD = 2000 GRAFTS = $6,880.00 (BANGKOK

DR ERDOGAN = $3.61 AUD = 2000 GRAFTS = $7,220.00 (TURKEY)

DR KESER = $5.06 AUD = 2000 GRAFTS = $10,120.00 (TURKEY)

DR BISANGA = $7.22 AUD 1st 1000, $4.33 AUD AFTER = 2000 GRAFTS = $7,220 + $4,330 = $11,550.00 (BRUSSELS)

DR LORENZO = $8.7 AUD 1st 1000, $5.8 AUD AFTER = 2000 GRAFTS = $8,700 + $5,800 = $14,500.00 (SPAIN)

Top picks - Dr Keser, Dr Bisanga. I feel based on their hairline work these are the best surgeons suited to my needs. Erdogan is also a contender.

I am in contact with Dr Bisanga who seems great so time will tell :) I will also send my pictures to Keser and Asmed (Erdogan).

*all prices in AUD and most of these prices have been collected from other posters on this forum. Converted from Euro to AUD