Female Looking to get hairline lowered

Hi everyone!

I'm a 21y/o female who was born with a high hairline which I've always been keen to change.

I've been to Dr Rahal's clinic in Ottawa and I've been given a treatment plan but I have a few questions I was hoping could be answered here!

I've attached my current photos and what I've been planned for so far, I was hoping to get an opinion of if that's a good plan or not. I think I was getting it lowered by about 2.5cm.

I'm currently a student, so I'd be getting this procedure done during the semester (I think during January). I'd take about 5 days off for the longest netflix session I've ever had before venturing back into the world. After that time would I be able to jump right back into student life alright? Meaning will I be able to function normally besides looking like crap?

I'm currently prescribed vyvanse for my ADD to help me get through school and subsequently teva trazadone to sleep on the days I do take vyvanse. Would I be able to take those a week after the procedure as per normal?

And what are the couple of days after the procedure like in terms of mobility, pain, swelling, nausea and ability to sleep?

Also I'm travelling during June with some family, by that time would I still be in an awkward peach-fuzz, fairly noticeable that I've had something done sorta stage? Or would it blend into the rest of my hair? (I have fairly long, fine hair and judging by my regrowth my hair grows at a rate of approximately 4 inches a year)

I know it's a lot of questions, but I was unable to find really any cases like mine (young women, no hair loss history etc...)

5b32f0a2342c7_ScreenShot2016-12-19at3_04_03PM.jpg.e048d2921d437bac96c8d2f3ee1dd025.jpg

5b32f0a246bc9_ScreenShot2016-12-19at3_05_21PM.jpg.3306252c5eadbf6638030746d43cf0b9.jpg

You'd be able to function perfectly normal, just avoid sun, something to keep in mind for your vacation. You'll also need to avoid heavy athletic activities for the first 6mos. (I'm assuming you're doing strip). As for the meds, check with the doctor. First 3-4 mos is the awkward peach fuzz stage.

• Administrators

When I look at the photos from your side profile 2.5cm seems a bit aggressive, however when I see the photos of your hairline from the front I think 2.5cm would be good, maybe it's just the angle of the side photos not sure, now about the medications, that's certainly something to discuss with the doctor.

5 days IMO is not enough time unless you wear your bangs downward covering your hairline, around the 5th day the grafts are starting to form crusts and scabs, definitely not the prettiest site, you can certainly wear loose hats if you want to go out in public. By June you should be at a decent stage of growth, how well you blend it depends on your styling, even if the hair is peach fuzz you can use concealers to make the hairs appear thicker and blend in better.

Similar case to yours

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Some people probably wouldn't agree with me, but with a 2.5cm advancement I think you should also look into the possibility of a scalp advance with maybe a small amount of transplants after if the scar doesn't look as good as it should.

You have very fine hair in your temples though, which may be an issue

Either way, you have enough hair to wear a fringe, so I wouldn't worry about an awkward phase before growing starts, just cover it

Hi everyone!

I'm a 21y/o female who was born with a high hairline which I've always been keen to change.

I've been to Dr Rahal's clinic in Ottawa and I've been given a treatment plan but I have a few questions I was hoping could be answered here!

I've attached my current photos and what I've been planned for so far, I was hoping to get an opinion of if that's a good plan or not. I think I was getting it lowered by about 2.5cm.

I'm currently a student, so I'd be getting this procedure done during the semester (I think during January). I'd take about 5 days off for the longest netflix session I've ever had before venturing back into the world. After that time would I be able to jump right back into student life alright? Meaning will I be able to function normally besides looking like crap?

I'm currently prescribed vyvanse for my ADD to help me get through school and subsequently teva trazadone to sleep on the days I do take vyvanse. Would I be able to take those a week after the procedure as per normal?

And what are the couple of days after the procedure like in terms of mobility, pain, swelling, nausea and ability to sleep?

Also I'm travelling during June with some family, by that time would I still be in an awkward peach-fuzz, fairly noticeable that I've had something done sorta stage? Or would it blend into the rest of my hair? (I have fairly long, fine hair and judging by my regrowth my hair grows at a rate of approximately 4 inches a year)

I know it's a lot of questions, but I was unable to find really any cases like mine (young women, no hair loss history etc...)

I like your temples. You just need to get ur hairline down. Dont do anything with ur temples. They look awesome.

Avoiding the sun? Why is that? Do you mean more avoid getting the area with the grafts burnt or avoid the sun completely?

I have eczema and have found that the only thing that helps keep it in check is UV exposure, so I usually sit in a tanning bed around once a week. Would I need to stop that?

I've looked into the possibility of a scalp advancement, but my scalp is tight so there's a lot that could go wrong with cutting in that area so I'm not keen to risk it!

I'm not really concerned about how the graft area looks as it's winter here so I'll probably just place a loose knit headband over the area once I'm able, I'm moreso concerned about if whatever meds I'm on or condition I'm physically in will effect my daily activities after 5 days.

I've never used hair concealers, but I'm guessing I'll want to give them a try. So does anyone have any recommendations for one to suit my hair color?

Emma,

A couple of things. First, yes exposure to UVA and UVB rays can damage the grafts, especially UVB which can burn. The shorter the wavelength, the more harmful it is. There are several good threads in this community that address this issue, just do a search on "sun exposure".

Also, I don't think you will have much success with concealers soon after the procedure. You really need both a certain level of density and also adequate hair length for the concealers to work their magic. Both density and hair length is going to take some time, certainly longer than a semester. A loose head band that breathes (just like the one you mentioned) would be a better option IMHO.

Let me explain the density thing. You will be starting at ground zero with no existing hair that you will grafting into as your goal is to lower your existing hairline. You will need a certain level of density for everything to blend adequately, visually speaking. So plan on having more than one procedure done if your going to lower your hairline by the amount you stated, 2.5 cm.

Hope this makes some sense...:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I've looked into FUE, I don't have an overly logical explanation but I just have that gut feeling that I should go with FUT.

So I've booked my procedure for the 23rd of January after 4 months of pondering if I really wanted to do this. Dr Ross at Rahal Hair clinic will be my doctor!

In terms of UV exposure, would placing a towel over the graft area in a tanning bed be sufficient to avoid the exposure?

I can probably stay away from UV for about 3 weeks before my skin goes out of control. My main issue is that my eczema gets the worst on my face (around my nose/mouth) without UV exposure.

How loose is a loose headband/hat? Does it need to be not at all touching the area? Or just not skin-tight?

Lucky me inherited a genetic condition which means I have a larger than average head size!

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Not really sure how to take all the "don't let location be the deciding factor on which doctor you choose." comments. I was under the impression that the Rahal hair clinic was very reputable from all the results I've seen.

Is that not so?

Ok, Rahal is a respectable clinic, but what is more important is the actual doctor. Dr Ross is not Dr Rahal, so as far as you're concerned, it's a different clinic IMO. I'm not sure about preop uv exposure, but postop is a big nono. But as always check with the doctor. The clinic will instruct you on hat wearing.

OMG. I would NOT recommend lowering the hairline for you. You are a very beautiful, young lady, with lovely hair and a lovely hairline. It may be "high" in some people's opinions, but there are others who would find it "perfect".

And FUT?! You REALLY should consider the scarring to your hairline, not to mention the back of your head from FUT.

I really can't recommend enough that you NOT do this. Just for you I am uploading 2 photos of my hairline taken yesterday, almost 5 years after a doctor suggested I lower my hairline. Ugh...

IMG_6652.thumb.jpg.32faa35e9e9d6411404ac7173f505ece.jpg

IMG_6656.thumb.jpg.dca05274180748a209178a562a47b2b6.jpg

Yes I do realize that Dr Ross is not Dr Rahal, but after much research I do have confidence in Dr Ross! It gives me a little bit more comfort knowing that a female is performing my procedure too, just a personal preference. :)

Harryforreal what do you mean?

I understand that my forehead size isn't extreme to the point where it's the first thing people notice, but keep in mind that I've gotten very strategic at contouring my forehead and other tricks to make it appear smaller.

When my hair is darkly colored, tightly pulled back and I have no makeup on my forehead does look huge. I try to get my hair colored to be a close color to my skin, so there isn't a huge contrast in color where my hairline starts, believe me it makes a HUGE difference. I'd love to be able to wear my hair up without having to worry about giving the front volume so that I don't look like I have no hair in pictures. When my hair is wet, it looks horrid.

I think my forehead looks completely fine when my hair is styled down, however as I have naturally very dry, curly hair I just can't be wearing my hair down daily without all the styling causing so much damage. My main goal is to just not have to worry about it anymore when I take photos and to be able to do whatever hairstyle I'd like without worrying about how much my forehead is getting exposed. I love my hair, and I'd love for it to be able to be seen in photos that aren't taken from a really high angle. It'd also be nice if I had some hair at the top of my head to stop getting sunburnt on only the top of my forehead! ha!

I'm also aware that as I get older my larger forehead will make me appear more aged than I am.

Honestly, I'm not worried about what other people think about my hairline's appearance, this is very much something I'm doing for myself so I can feel even more comfortable in my own skin. I'd honestly be over the moon if it was lowered by even 1.5cm

Scarring to my hairline with FUT? What do you mean by this?

And why do you recommend that I don't do this?

Thanks for all your responses KO, you've been really helpful and I appreciate it!

If anyone has any opinions of if I should be doing something different to achieve my desired outcome I'd love to hear it!

Emma,

Welcome to our hair restoration discussion forum community. Dr. Rahal is excellent so I trust he'll provide you with an outstanding experience and result. Has he mentioned his plan for lowering your hairline? Did he design a hairline for you and suggest a number of grafts? After hair transplant surgery, you'lll definitely be able to function normally however, cosmetically, it may take awhile for the recipient area to look normal. Inevitably, it will take a week or so for any scabs to go away and depending on healing characteristics and how closely packed the grafts are placed together, it could take a couple of weeks for any redness or swelling to go away. If you can wear a head covering like a hat, beanie, etc. at work that will help to conceal your hair transplant so nobody knows you've had it. If you aren't concerned about people knowing than it won't matter as much.

I also see some contradictory advice above regarding FUT vs. FUE. For a woman with long hair, since FUT is still more consistent, I would advice FUT/strip over FUE. However, that should be a discussion between you and your physician. FUE is typically idea for men who want to wear their hair cropped real short on the sides and back of their scalp or for those who want to shave their head in the future. But for a woman with long hair, I feel like your primary concern should be consistency and maximizing growth. In that case, FUT/Strip seems ideal.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best wishes,

Bill

Yes! We're planning to keep the current hairline shape and just lower it. I really like my current shape so I'm happy with that!

The average density is planned to be 57grafts/cm2 with overall 2000 grafts.

Do those numbers sound good?

I don't really mind if it doesn't look normal for a few months, it'll be around -20c where I am until early May so it's pretty uncommon to not wear something to keep your head warm. I'm just wondering if it will look normal by early June when I go on a family holiday?

Any idea how common and extensive shock loss is in cases like mine?

Haven't been able to find any information about that for cases like mine!

Actually, women with high hairlines are probably textbook FUT candidates.

With all due respect to KO, are you speaking FUT versus FUE?

I should have been more clear: In my opinion Emma needs neither.

Emma, I understand your desire to change something about your physical appearance. Who doesn't want to change this or that to match some ideal we've seen in a Hollywood film or such? And if it were really that easy to change, I might be more comfortable with it. However, I can say from personal experience it ain't as easy as some would have you believe.

Does my hairline look natural or soft to you? Look at the hair on the side of my head for comparison, because that is what I was used to seeing at the top of my head before the hair doctor suggested lowering my hairline (his suggestion, not mine). The thought of having a "Brad Pitt" hairline was appealing. I had the money, so I went for it. Hahahahaha.....

I'd love to be able to wear my hair up without having to worry about giving the front volume so that I don't look like I have no hair in pictures.

Yeah, I used to brush my hair back because I had beautiful waves in my hair. Now I always brush it forward to cover up this mess at the front of my hairline.

I love my hair,
That's all that matters, don't go messing it up then.

So some angles are less flattering in photos then others. Just because you lower the hairline doesn't mean it's going to look perfect from all angles either!

There are some aesthetic procedures that produce excellent results with minimal risk (though nothing is risk free). A hair transplant, in my opinion, certainly isn't one of them - however, that was not something I understood before I had mine. I did no research whatsoever because everything you see on TV and in magazines about botox, breast implants, hair transplants,etc. made it all seem so easy.

Botox is easy and great. Done it many times.

Laser treatments for freckles and such also easy and great. Done it meany times.

Also micro-needling, easy and great.

Hair transplant? NO. Not easy at all, with very questionable results in my opinion. Even the best photos still show the flaws.

You are only 21. You could be engaging in a procedure that is going to scar you for life. I had my transplant when I was 42. And prior to that I had some really fun times - partied all over Europe, from London to Ibiza to Berlin for years. The results of my Hair transplant, however, significantly affected that, starting with 2 full years of staying in every night while trying to get improvement. You're concerned about how you look in a photo with a natural hairline. If you are dissatisfied with the result - and reading this forum should give you plenty enough reason to suspect that you very well might be - how your hair looks in a photo from a particular angle will be the least of your concerns.

The beauty of youth is just that: youth. When you get older, you can worry about how to best hide the inevitable aging process without risking the loss of your youth to some misguided "easy" cosmetic procedure.

I looked at your photos, you're a beautiful young girl. To risk your youthful beauty on "lowering" your hairline is too great a risk in my opinion.

At the very least, wait awhile. Continue reading these forums and looking at real photos posted by people rather than some doctor's office seeking clients.

And remember, high hairlines are just as beautiful as lower hairlines, despite what some may have you believe.

http://www.listal.com/list/female-celebrities-high-foreheads

Harryforreal I was referring to FUT vs FUE. As you know, nobody needs HT surgery, it's an elective procedure, but for women born with high hairlines, they are great candidates without many of the downsides men have.

Edited by KO

My doc now has an assistant who trained in hairline lowering, if you wanted another opinion:

About Dr. Nadimi - Chicago Hair Institute

There are quite a few female cases on here if you use the search function.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

for women born with high hairlines, they are great candidates without many of the downsides men have.

I don't really understand this statement, though.

The risks are the same to me: if the results look unnatural or bad, or if there is a large scar in the back of the head from FUT, or patchiness in the back from FUE, the risks are all the same.

I mean, my hair is shoulder length long. I'm not sure what the difference is when you say women with a high hair line. Do you mean since they have long hair in the back?

My dissatisfaction with my procedure is all about the hairline in the front.

There are many men with significant hair loss who have expressed satisfaction with their hair transplant. So for that reason alone I am unwilling to say no one should have one, because for those persons who have had significant hair loss and they are happy with the results I think that's great.

But honestly, as a person whose hair loss was minimal over the years, my expectations were quite different - and certainly not based on any real research: my fault for sure.

I had the impression after consulting with the hair doctor that it wouldn't be a big deal. FUE was easy and I would end up with a thick, low, natural looking hairline.

The FUE was "relatively" easy. But compared to the soft hairline I had before "lowering" it, the result is by no means soft and natural. It just doesn't meet expectations. I'm not talking density. I'm talking the softness and lightness of the hair. Natural hair that used to blow gently across my face in a slight breeze, now that is fronted by darker, thicker, hair that doesn't fall about my face so softly.

And also the redness and the bumpy texture that resulted as well!

I just don't think a young female with such soft hair - and, yes, a high hairline - realizes what she is about to risk here.

The hair of a 50 year old Norwood 5 bald man is significantly more coarse than the soft, vellum hairs on a 21 year old female hairline. For a 50 year old gray haired Norwood 5 to have a hair transplant and walk away 1 year later with scraggly hair on top is very different than a 21 year old with soft, light hair wanting a Hollywood/Supermodel hairline that looks great from every photo angle.

I think persons with darker, coarser hair have better results. I also think people who have had significant hair loss for decades are grateful when they get some coverage as long as it looks decent.

But...I'm thinking fashion model hair not 50 year old men. The soft look of youth.

Of course Emma must decide for herself. But sometimes I wonder if discussion about hair transplants are skewed because the bulk of people talking about them are older persons with different hair expectations.

To be clear, KO, I have read many of your posts, and I respect what you write. So this is nothing personal.

But I'm not talking coverage or hair replacement here. More...hair styling.

For me, the transplant has equated to the worst hairstyle I have ever had without really adding anything. "Frame the face" some say. Bah.

This summer I was in the Mediterranean with a beautiful 25 year old Swede - tall, thin, long blonde hair, blue eyes. I look at some photos of us after swimming in the sea, and oh, man. My hair. Talk about freakish looking where the transplant is.

By midway through the summer I had plucked the transplanted hairs out because it just looked so bad. Yes, I was left with a higher hairline, but at least it looked softer and more natural.

My initial plan was to go to Dr Epstein, but due to the tightness of my scalp and that my skin does not scar nicely I chose against that method. Plus I didn't feel like the hairlines look as natural, and I've seen someone who had their procedure with Dr Epstein only for their hairline to over time kinda move back to where it originally was.

Harryforreal while I do appreciate you sharing your opinion, I'm not sure you're going about it the right way. I'm not doing this to "match some ideal we've seen in a Hollywood film." I don't really care much for ideals, I've been through that stage of wanting to look perfect and it's so overrated. If I were worrying more about matching ideals a HT wouldn't be my first procedure.

As I've said before, I'm doing this because I am insecure and frustrated with an aspect of my appearance that causes me daily inconveniences.

I know it's a bit different for a guy than a girl, high hairlines are pretty common for guys and there's not a whole lot of creativity that can occur with regards to hairstyles compared to female hair.

I love my hair, yes. I'm proud of my hair, yes. But the fact is I can't always do what I want with my hair because it doesn't look good. I know it doesn't look good when my pull my hair away from my face and you can barely see my hair. What's the point in having all this hair that I'm so proud of to only be able to wear about 3 hairstyles that make me feel good about how I look?

Unfortunately I'm not a celebrity who can have someone style their hair nicely all the time. I have thin hair that doesn't have a lot of volume, which really makes the situation worse.

HLS2015 I completely understand where you're coming from. I am really worried that something may go wrong. I've looked at your experience, and it really sucks and I'm sorry that it happened to you.

I've fed up my best friend worrying over that occurrence. But she constantly reminds me "but what if it all goes perfect and you end up so much happier?"

I figure at one point or another in my life I'm going to have my hairline lowered. Right now I'm young and healthy, so logically speaking this should be the best time to do something like this.

I really really do hope everything goes to plan, but who knows what will happen.

What's the point in having all this hair that I'm so proud of to only be able to wear about 3 hairstyles that make me feel good about how I look?

Not to trivialize your concerns, Emma, but I think many of the men on THIS website - which is focused on hairloss, not hairstyling - would pay a handsome sum to be able to wear their hair in "only" 3 different hairstyles.

And this is exactly what I speaking of when I wrote to KO,

But I'm not talking coverage or hair replacement here. More...hair styling.

Emma's post of 8:36 PM (GMT, by the way, in case you're wondering about the time difference) appeared immediately after my 8:35 post by only a second or two, so I'm not sure Emma saw my 8:35 post, and I certainly didn't see her 8:36 post.

But there is a difference between the hair styling concerns of a 21 year old versus the hair replacement concerns of a 50 year old.

To this end, Emma, I ask, did you look at the 2 photos I included of my hairline that I posted on your thread? Is the result something you would find aesthetically pleasing?

Many men on this forum would be happy with such a result - I say this because I look at their results about which they are delighted and I think, "WHAAAT?!?!?"

But for people looking for a cosmetic/aesthetic enhancement rather than hair replacement, I'm not sure a hair transplant is the solution.

For me the common mantra on these forums to "add more density" doesn't really solve the crux of the problem:

How does one get thicker, darker hairs from the back of the head to look soft and natural and to match other soft and natural hairs at the front of the hairline?

I don't believe it is possible. I've been trying to figure out a way for 5 years, posed the question many times, have yet to get a satisfactory answer.

And now I'm looking to have electrolysis remove many of these darker, thick weird hairs at the front. Of course I'm not sure how well it will work, what the skin will look like afterwards, etc. So I'll start with 3 hairs is the plan, and go from there. But man, what an embarrassment this summer when the 25 year old Swede looked at my hairline and touched it and asked, "Are you going bald?"

Recession is one thing; a high hairline another.

But, quite frankly, scraggly looking pubic-like hairs that look like balding hairs at the front of the hairline. Uggggh....

At least this happened when I was in my 40's.

I can't imagine if I had done this when I was 21, in the prime of my youth, how it would have affected me.

harryforreal,

With all due respect, while I understand your dissatisfaction, I think you are leaning too much on your case to determine how somebody else's result might turn out. Overall, it seems you're saying that natural looking, low hairlines cannot be done without significant aesthetic risk. On this, we'll disagree.

As for my comment about "textbook", the major problems with FUT start and end with primarily the scar. When you're a man with AGA, it is progressive, it includes advancing norwoods, and donor area thinning. With FUT, you risk scar visibility if you cut your hair short, or if you experience donor thinning. You also lose the ability to shave your head and move on. But again, these risks are present if men have progressive AGA.

With a woman (not undergoing FAGA) but simply having a congenital high hairline, those problems do not exist. Most women, even those with hair loss issues, do not shave their heads, or buzz it very short.

Also nape hairs used for the reason you mention.

EDIT: My post is flagged. I looked at your pictures, I understand what you're saying. Disappointing outcomes/poor growth are definitely a risk. But I think that is true for HT's in general, not just this type of procedure.

Edited by KO