FUT donor discomfort?

Hi,

i assume all FUT patients experience discomfort in their donor area, right?

How long should this last for?

Im almost 2 weeks post op and i feel some tension on my scar still. I have to be careful with how i sleep as well. Im scared my scar wont turn out the best...

My questions,

How long will the scar discomfort last?

If im past a month post op, is it safe to say i wont be having shock hairloss?

Is it normal to experience discomfort on my scar area?

Thank you so much.

Yeah it won't return to normal for quite some time. Minor discomfort for maybe 3 months max. Some weird pins and needles type sensations for up to 6, and maybe slightly tight feeling for anything up to a year.

I have to say that although mine felt 97% good after a year I still feel as though it took 2 years to get to 100%.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

it depends on the laxity of your scalp skin and how tight the scar was upon closure/stitching.

I am currently 3 months post my FUT, if am conscious will feel the tightness and particularly when moving eyebrows upwards, otherwise do not feel tight at all.

The duration of soreness will differ from person to person and how fast is the process of your own healing will determine it.

Try and avoid any movement which is likely to stretch it for up to 8 weeks, this will hopefully make your wound heal nicely without any noticeable scar.

sultsay

I doubt this is the reason, but after my 2012 surgery the doctor in Dallas that removed my staples at the ten day mark missed one staple....I noticed some extra pain....started feeling the area with my fingers and discovered a staple was still there....went back and he greatly apologized and removed it.....after that with each passing day there was less discomfort...but like someone else said there can be some occasional...shooting-pin&needles pain for the first couple of months.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Thank you all for your help,

Lets say i did some movement that i probably shouldnt have, like having sex couple times within first 2 weeks... is there any way i can reverse the effects(if it had any) like any tips i can do to make my scar tighter:/?

As with all things HT, I think people tend to overstate how fast recovery is. With FUT it can take months before your FUT donor site can feel "normal" again given the incision, sutures/staples, nerve injury and regrowth, and changes in skin tension.

At 2 weeks I would be surprised if you felt totally normal. Just give it time.

I agree...definitely avoid weights or really any activity that can potentially put undue tension in the donor area such as chin-ups, etc.

You will regain some laxity in the scalp but this takes some time and varies between individuals. The donor scar also takes some time to heal and for the sensation of soreness to subside along with the tightness.

I also had two staples that were missed after my last procedure and they got buried under the scalp tissue. MY PCP removed them roughly 2 months after the procedure...with no anesthesia...:confused:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It can take several months for a scar to form and therefore it is important for a patient to minimize unnecessary tension/stress in that area for a few months. I do think that exercising carefully can be resumed in 2-3 weeks post-op.