FUE into scar

I had a strip transplant recently and ended up with a scar with 4-5 mm width. I was wondering whether FUEing into the scar would work and make the scar disappear.

Is it possible to acheive naive density in the scar?

Can one trim down to grade 0?

Any experiences or advice???

Dr. Konior transplanted under a 100 triple hair grafts into an old Bosley scar of mine and then I also had SMP into it.

I don't wear my hair extremely short but the scar has all but disappeared.

Because of what Lorenzo (forum user not the doctor) posted here recently about perm SMP I now wouldn't strongly recommend it anymore because of the unknowns.

I'm not sure if FUE alone would help you be able to bring it down to 0 grade unless you went heavy overkill with the grafts and the work was meticulous.

1-2 grade though should maybe no problem.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Dr. Konior transplanted under a 100 triple hair grafts into an old Bosley scar of mine and then I also had SMP into it.

I don't wear my hair extremely short but the scar has all but disappeared.

Because of what Lorenzo (forum user not the doctor) posted here recently about perm SMP I now wouldn't strongly recommend it anymore because of the unknowns.

I'm not sure if FUE alone would help you be able to bring it down to 0 grade unless you went heavy overkill with the grafts and the work was meticulous.

1-2 grade though should maybe no problem.

Thanks for the info hsrp10. May i ask what the width and length of the scar were?

I don't have the exact dimensions but it was a nasty wide scar of "scalp whiteness."

Will also try to dig up some post SMP pics. Really can cut my hair much shorter now.

(removed the scar pic, let me know n00b if you didn't see it yet)

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Noob,

FUE into scalp scars tends to work in a certain scar type, and not so much into others. Scars that don't have as much thick, avascular (without blood suppy), tissue build-up tend to accept the FUE grafts a little better. If you have a flatter, pinker scar opposed to a more white, raised scar, you may be a candidate for FUE into the scar.

Any pictures to share? I'll gladly take a look and tell you if I think it's a scar type that may be amenable to FUEs.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I don't have the exact dimensions but it was a nasty wide scar of "scalp whiteness."

Will also try to dig up some post SMP pics. Really can cut my hair much shorter now.

(removed the scar pic, let me know n00b if you didn't see it yet)

I saw it hsrp10. Thanks a lot...

Noob,

FUE into scalp scars tends to work in a certain scar type, and not so much into others. Scars that don't have as much thick, avascular (without blood suppy), tissue build-up tend to accept the FUE grafts a little better. If you have a flatter, pinker scar opposed to a more white, raised scar, you may be a candidate for FUE into the scar.

Any pictures to share? I'll gladly take a look and tell you if I think it's a scar type that may be amenable to FUEs.

Here are my scar pics DrBlakeBloxham. The side scar feels flat while the back scar feels like a small ridge.

Its been 9 months post op but i still see redness. Is that expected?

Can these scars be FUE'd so that i can trim down to grade #0?

What are your thoughts?

back1.thumb.jpg.1900e95237e5865f35c6ba3463287f32.jpg

back2.thumb.jpg.ad4368c94287b431cd4024e078adba97.jpg

side.thumb.jpg.5168cf1f1e739b96b7a81741a1b2bc88.jpg

• Administrators

Hey n00b, it appears FUE beard hair and smp is the way to go, having pale skin is a plus with how short you can go. Any reason why you want to go zero? Do you wish to buzz and move on?

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185366-strip-scar-repair-possible.html

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Shaving down to a zero clip with a strip scar isn't usually the best idea, even if you do put FUE into the scar. It honestly really depends on the scar but even with full density in the scar, there could be some discoloration and remember, if you are shaving down to a zero, you will barely see any stubble let alone hair. But I agree that pictures would help.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hey n00b, it appears FUE beard hair and smp is the way to go, having pale skin is a plus with how short you can go. Any reason why you want to go zero? Do you wish to buzz and move on?

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185366-strip-scar-repair-possible.html

Hi HTsoon,

I would like to go down to zero because it's highly likely I would lose this battle of hair. i wish to buzz down to #0 and move on. Wish I had done FUE instead of FUT as this would have made buzzing down easier.

Shaving down to a zero clip with a strip scar isn't usually the best idea, even if you do put FUE into the scar. It honestly really depends on the scar but even with full density in the scar, there could be some discoloration and remember, if you are shaving down to a zero, you will barely see any stubble let alone hair. But I agree that pictures would help.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I have posted my scar pictures above. I am also attaching them again here.

back1.thumb.jpg.e34fb24038b9b2dfb94f1588122a3830.jpg

back2.thumb.jpg.63c0463036b965298a51c397284b1f32.jpg

side.thumb.jpg.8797f0b10b091bbfa57c4f3721bdb462.jpg

Hey Noob. It can be done mate - I did exactly that yesterday. Combining FUE and SMP is the way to go - I had 500 beard hair into the strip scar & tidied it up even more with SMP. Fantastic result, I posted photos on my thread. Good luck.

Hey Noob. It can be done mate - I did exactly that yesterday. Combining FUE and SMP is the way to go - I had 500 beard hair into the strip scar & tidied it up even more with SMP. Fantastic result, I posted photos on my thread. Good luck.

Just saw your thread Mikey1970. Looks great. I wish I too can achieve your results.

May I ask why beard hair instead of scalp hair?

Also how close were you able to buzz down before SMP?

• 8 months later...

Where are these photos?

Where is this thread?!?