Going outside post hair transplant surgery

Guys should I be concerned about sun burn/damage to the grafts if I pop out to the local store (2-3 min walk from the house) occasionally without a hat? It's a little bit sunny out but also a little overcast so it's easy to walk in the shade for the most part? Also temp in London is now just 12c-13c so it's not summery weather.

Sunburn should be avoided the first few months, so don't put yourself in situations where you could burn, but brief walks outside should be fine.

Anytime in doubt put on a hat or try to walk in shaded areas etc. if the exposure time is long.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

You fine to do that - Just no prolonged periods in serious heat 80 +

Air is good for the head at this point so knock yourself out ;-)

I've never heard that heat would be a problem post-op. Was planning on spending a long day outside (~6 hours) with a wide-brimmed hat which completely blocks the sun about 2 weeks after my procedure. I expect the temperature to be about 80 degrees F (26 degrees C). It will be December in the Caribbean. Any issues with this? Should I break the day up with periods in the air conditioned indoors?

• Administrators

Justjax just relax, you're fine some sun isn't going to do anything to your grafts, my last surgery was in July in the heat of summer, I had to return to work with no hat, the walk from my parking spot to my job is around 15 min nothing happened. You should avoid the sun with out a hat, but that's if you're going to be hours all day in the sun.

I'm one week post op today been in NYC on vacation been walking, sight seeing, hell I even rode a bike in Central Park yesterday, the most crucial days are the first three, you should stay in and not do much, after that you're free to live your life as long as you don't go all out crazy. After two weeks assuming you've had FUE you could resume to do anything.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

hey all, thanks for the comments and reassurance. I did also email the clinic and they said it was fine (based on my scenario), just nervous and want to ensure I don't do anything to jeopardize the HT at this early stage. I wouldn't of course intentionally sit out in the sun without a hat as I have been advised against that in the clinic previously.

Speaking of hats, what kinda hat do you guys wear? While the British weather has cooled, its actually be quite nice and sunny these past few weeks so I may need to invest in some type of hat for a few weeks at least. I do have the hat the clinic gave me, but its the most hideous thing. Would be baseball cap be too restrictive?

• Moderators
I I expect the temperature to be about 80 degrees F (26 degrees C). It will be December in the Caribbean. Any issues with this?

Any issues with this? Let's see... I will be freezing in December with possible snow and you will be in 80 degree weather on the beach. Umm... Yes! I have an issue with this! But don't worry. I know a simple solution. You can switch places with me. I will spend your vacation in the Caribbean and you can stay here. I assure you that you won't get any sun on your grafts as the days are short and it will be so cold outside that you won't want to leave the house. Problems solved. Just send me your plane ticket and hotel info :-)

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Yea.. I wouldn't take the risk. It's like going to a post nuclear war landmark site.. Is being these fore a day going to give you a ton of radiation and lead to cancer? Probably not..

But the more you do it, the more those odds increase..

Stay shady.

Richter101 is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

Born Oct ’89

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Loss Oct ’09

Began Seeing Gradual Hair Gain June ’15

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2200 (ARTAS- FUE) grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2016

Finasteride daily, since 2014

Rogaine experimenter from 2012- ’13 RIP

Planning HT #2 By End of This Year :)

Guys should I be concerned about sun burn/damage to the grafts if I pop out to the local store (2-3 min walk from the house) occasionally without a hat? It's a little bit sunny out but also a little overcast so it's easy to walk in the shade for the most part? Also temp in London is now just 12c-13c so it's not summery weather.

The ultra-violet radiation can still penetrate through an overcast. That said, the tissue damage isn't always visible in the form of sunburn. A cover from a thick material is always a good idea.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians