My donor looks terrible

Just recently had FUE to cover a minor problem I seen, tbh didnt really need done, I dont even know how many grafts were done.

I usually keep the sides short at a 1,2 or 3 grade, and was told the donor scars would blend in well with my normal hair style. The surgeon when doing the operation told me he took out more than was prob needed to make sure the area was covered and I thought fine its ok.

Now I know this sint long after the procedure, its over 2 weeks but I have an entirely noticeable rectangle on the back of my head, its shocking. I have created an even worse problem than I had before.

What can I do, could MSP work even with hair at a 2 grade to help fill this in? Im at wits end.

Pics are 3 days after, can anyone hazard a guess at number of grafts taken? 2nd pic is 15 days.

5b32ed569f68a_2016-06-2323_16_48.thumb.jpg.2dcdd790a9dd5142fc91752cb8af1d9f.jpg

5b32ed56bf2c7_2016-06-2323_30_42.thumb.jpg.5655b5df0e5c9b06c7ace641c19bf5ad.jpg

Looks like about 1000 grafts were taken. Sounds like you went into this without doing any research at all....so what do you expect? Who was your doctor?

When your hair is grown out a little longer you will look fine. Good luck.

Thank you for the response.

The pics dont do it justice, in the harsh light of day its worse.

I had researched for a while and even backed out once, I knew there would be visible hair thinning but was led to believe it would be blended in and not so blockish as it now is. I had hoped the area would be spread out and thinning would be mitigated across a fuller area.

I dont want to mention names just now as it is early doors.

I was wondering if MSP could work on that length of hair just to conceal it as that is generally the length I keep it at.

I have read some stories that it could help but obviously it would look best shaven to the bone. Wanted to see if anybody had MSP on slightly longer hair style.

• Administrators

You're probably experiencing a bit of shock loss, the benefit in having FUE is to keep your hair short, however in order to make the scars look natural you need to spread them out throughout the entire donor area.

I have noticed this problem with nearly every person who's had FUE in a small area, the decrease in density is noticeable and shock loss is much more common in a small area. Luckily most of the time this gets better over time, in the meantime you can try couvre scalp concealer.

Here's a video at min 1:10 you see how much the donor area suffered shock loss this was at 1 month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtoPOKxg-Eg

At min 5:17 you see his donor area now at 6 months has improved however he does wear his hair a bit longer on the sides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CHllEv0GA

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks very much for that, I hope it is shock loss and will come back with time because as you said the reason i chose FUE was to keep the hair short which I was recommended would be fine.

I ordered Couvre yesterday and looking forward to its arrival. Its too hot to be wearing hats all day to hide it.

I just wish the donor was spread out more to help conceal what is going on.

Why in the heck was the extraction pattern done in such a pattern and not spread out?

The guy in the video had bad shock, but looks good now. He had a good result too!

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Don't panic yet. It doesn't look good now but it should look better over time. You're going to need to wear your hair a little longer though.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

As others say it might just be some shock loss and hopefully hair will grow back in the next few months to help. The extraction pattern is poor even for a small number of grafts they should have taken from a bigger area to avoid this.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

Not saying it's necessary, but I think you're referring to "smp"

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

• 6 months later...

Still alive? I have a very very similar, if not almost identical problem:

Wanted to deal with a little scar on forhead and b??m..now I have those weird extraction patterns on my back..its depressing. I will post photos soon.

Is there anything that can be done except growing hair longer?

• 1 year later...

Getting back to this now it is very much better. If I have it even shaved down to the bone with an open razor you can barely see it at all. You would only know it's there if someone had told you and knew what you were looking for.

Sorry to necro but wanted to clear it up.

Result of HT was good.  Happy with results for what I needed. A small bit didn't really take but I don't think it's an issue my hair looks totally natural on the problem area.

In hindsight I panicked with regard donor area. Within 3 months it was almost unnoticeable if a little tender if pressed. Now totally fine.

I used a brown masking creme applied with a small sponge to blend in the area with my hair when it was still blocky.

Procedure performed by DHI in UK.

Good to hear

I'm thinking of getting my hairline done at the beginning of 2019.  I need about 1500 grafts FUE to restore my hairline and temples.

I'm not sure if you work in an office (as I do) but I was thinking I would take two weeks off for the procedure.  Did you find work colleagues noticed you had anything done on your return to work?  That's one thing I'm worried about, though I don't need to cover a large area

thanks

Before the operation I grew my hair on top around the area longer to about 3 or 4cm long and when it came to operation they clipped the hair back exposing the area at the front to be transplanted into.

After the first wash of the hair after treatment I just positioned the hair over the transplanted area which effectively masked it. No-one knew.

After a couple weeks I wore a really loose fitting hat as it was still winter and this hid my donor block as it were as that area was still short.

I then used the masking creme (like a brown paint almost) on the donor to blend it in and make it unnoticeable.

That's good to hear.

The clinic I am liaising with basically said I could grow the hair around the front long, they would shave into it and work in that area.  I suspect my situation is quite similar to yours in that I should be able to comb some hair forward over the transplanted area.  I may have to shave the donor beforehand so colleagues get used to seeing it short as I can't wear a hat at work.

thank you