Hair Density question

So I took a tape measure to my head, and the total bald area that hairs were transplanted in was approximately 120 cm2 (this does NOT include the crown area).

Dr. Hasson said he got 4,217 grafts with a hair total of about 7,700 hairs transplanted to the front scalp and midscalp (see red box in pic).

So 7,700 hairs into 120 cm2 means each cm2 received about 64 hairs each.

All the research I've done basically says that amount of hairs are enough to create density illusion, am I right??

So if thats true then I wont need additional grafts in the red box to add more density, and I can just focus on getting the crown area next and then I'm done.

Does this sound about right, or am I making a calculation mistake here??

sxdk6r.jpg

Those numbers should produce a nice illusion of coverage even though the surface area was pretty much barren to begin with.

Of course the higher degree of coarseness (caliber) that you have, the better.

My premonition is that once you get 12 months behind you from the date of your procedure, you will be happy with the result.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

That's a pre-op picture, correct Dutchie? If so, 35grafts/cm2 will be a huge improvement in 12 months... Very important is your hair caliber too.

Is your hair on the fine side? Or more coarse?

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

That's a pre-op picture, correct Dutchie? If so, 35grafts/cm2 will be a huge improvement in 12 months... Very important is your hair caliber too.

Is your hair on the fine side? Or more coarse?

Yup, pre-op pic.

My hair diameter is about average between 50 to 70 microns.

The silver hairs tend to be a bit thinner, but the darker ones are nice and thick.

I also have the following advantages going for me:

1. My large forelock.

2. Curly hair (even though you cant really see it in the pic).

3. Good silver hair to white scalp colour contrast

Not sure what density illusion is really. It's a very vague term. 35 grafts per cm2 isn't super dense, but there is hair up there. It would be light for the hairline but a good base for the rest.

You are right though. The forelock and the gray hair are going to be big helps. I think you'll have a good result.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Not sure what density illusion is really. It's a very vague term. 35 grafts per cm2 isn't super dense, but there is hair up there. It would be light for the hairline but a good base for the rest.

You are right though. The forelock and the gray hair are going to be big helps. I think you'll have a good result

Important to note though dr. Hasson made the first 1cm into the hairline much thicker than the rest of the scalp.

I really wanna avoid a 2nd thickening transplant on the front - and midscalp if possible. That means I have to shave again and go through all the other headaches again.

I much rather just have to do the crown and be done with it

Dutchie,

I think you will be surprised by the end result. You're a middle-aged man who's been bald for many years. So 35 grafts per cm2 should yield a significant change in your appearance. Remember that it will be thicker in the front and the density will decrease behind the hairline. The gray hair and the frontal tuft are nice advantages. 50-60 microns per hair is found on the average patient. This is normal. Anything above 60 is above average.

The best way to measure the recipient area is by using transparent grid paper and simply drawing out the area that was transplanted. Remember that the scalp is not flat so merely multiplying the width by the length won't result in an accurate measurement.

I think most people who have had a hair transplant, especially those with a high Norwood pattern, would agree that combing your hair in a certain way changes the cosmetic appearance significantly. On that note, 35 grafts per cm2 won't yield Elvis like hair. Not even close. Assuming average hair characteristics, I would speculate that 50 grafts/cm2 would yield a result similar to JTs result (no, not the singer). That's 3500 grafts in an area as small as 70 cm2. This is why donor management is so important. Otherwise you'll quickly run out of donor supply.

Many of the results posted under the results by leading hair restoration clinics have very favorable characteristics.

Check out Chris from Vancouver's result on Youtube. Also HairsGone's result by Dr. Ball. This should give you a good idea of what to expect. I think you'll be satisfied. Your frontal tuft can really make a huge difference.

Happy growing.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Dutchie,

The numbers you provided will certainly make a tremendous difference and I expect if your expectations are reasonable that you will be very satisfied with your results. Understand that with advanced hair loss, you won't be able to achieve the kind of density you once had. But to the rest of the world who is viewing your hair, it will look very natural with only some mild thinning towards the back. You can also go back for a second procedure to thicken things up, which I suspect that will be something you want to do. Very few patients with advanced hair loss are "one and done" patients. For example I had just as much hair loss and had 4 procedure totaling 9600 grafts over 5 years. At this point I probably could have gotten everything done in 2 procedures but at the end of the day, I still got the results I wanted :-).

You will be in excellent hands with Hasson and Wong.

Best wishes,

Bill