*VIDEO* FUE Clinics To Avoid- Dr. Feller and Dr. Bloxham-Great Neck, NY

Very informative video, thank you.

A question regarding the preferred option 1 manual FUE - Is this referring to both done using a manual punch and a handheld motorised punch? As I understand in the latter the only difference is that the rotation force is created by the motor in the motorised FUE.

Very informative video. I was kinda expecting to see the infamous raking of the grafts (like leaves) thrown in there, but respect for not going there. I know you covered the technician run clinics, but I think more focus should also be placed on the Doctor run clinics where the technitions are still performing the majority of the FUE extractions.

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any supporting (scientific) proof for the claims/assumptions made in the vido?

Or are those just based on your personal opinion and observations?

Thanks

Health Travels - Hair Transplants Turkey

Representative for Dr. Erkan Demirsoy

HairsGone,

Good question.

Manual FUE truly refers to the following: a handheld, NON-motorized punch is used to score around the graft. The circular motion of this cut comes from the doctor's hand and no other source. After the graft is scored around, forceps (tweezers) are used to deliver -- or gently pull and remove -- the graft.

Here is an example (the first online from 2002) of manual FUE:

Many motorized devices only complete the scoring or cutting action, and then the graft is delivered in the same manner as above. However, this isn't defined as "manual FUE." This is motorized or rotary device FUE.

Here is an example of motorized FUE:

In both methods the graft still needed to be delivered afterwards -- unlike rotary WITH suction FUE where the motorized device also has a vacuum component that sucks the graft out of the skin after it's scored. However, only the first is true "manual" FUE as it's become known today.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Mav,

Good point. While this kind of falls under the true technician-run clinic model, it still is slightly different. And patients need to know it exists as well.

Maybe we'll make a subsequent video to delve into this a bit.

And we absolutely encourage all patients to ask a lot of specific questions about the FUE model at any clinic they are considering.

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dutchie,

I'm not aware of any technician-run clinics in Canada. Are you (or anyone else)?

So we can't say for certain whether or not it occurs there. However, I do know that Canada has different medical laws compared to the US, so they may allow for it.

Clemens,

Which statements are you referring to specifically?

I find it so strange when dr's let a technician score the graft. a bad technician can mess up a fut as well as an fue procedure but I guess there is more room for error during a fue. That being said I guess it all boils down to how good the techs are.

what kind of schooling do you need to become a tech in a ht clinic and how much they get paid?

Dutchie,

I'm not aware of any technician-run clinics in Canada. Are you (or anyone else)?

So we can't say for certain whether or not it occurs there. However, I do know that Canada has different medical laws compared to the US, so they may allow for it

Thanks for responding.

One more question please, Dr. Umar claims to have invented the Ugraft. To the best of your knowledge, do you think this tool is for real and might actually work, or do you think its nonsense??

See here: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182966-%2Avideo%2A-fue-clinics-avoid-dr-feller-dr-bloxham-great-neck-ny-new-post.html

• Administrators

This is a good post, I agree with the info you guys have presented. Although, i was under the assumption that motorized (non suction) and manual punch were in the same category. There are some respected FUE surgeons who utilize the S.A.F.E system. There's a video where Dr. Kardeniz actually says he prefers the SAFE system over manual because there's less traction on the graft.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for the reply Blake. As HTsoon says I was also under the assumption that motorized (non suction) and manual punch were in the same category.

As per this thread: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169281-ultimate-manual-versus-motorized-fue-thread.html

There's many surgeons using using motorized punches including Dr Bhatti and also Dr Karadeniz. Dr Feller is on that list, so I assume it may not be fully up to date?

Thanks for the reply Blake. As HTsoon says I was also under the assumption that motorized (non suction) and manual punch were in the same category.

As per this thread: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169281-ultimate-manual-versus-motorized-fue-thread.html

There's many surgeons using using motorized punches including Dr Bhatti and also Dr Karadeniz. Dr Feller is on that list, so I assume it may not be fully up to date?

To my knowledge Dr Feller used to use his own Feller motorized punch but now uses manual tools. I have not been able to edit that post for well over a year as I think after 30 days the post becomes static and can no longer be changed unless with moderator approval :(

Sean,

Interesting and helpful information. Thanks for sharing.

Dutchie,

I'm not overly familiar with UGraft. I recall watching a video about the device some time ago when I was writing about FUE tools for HTN, but I don't think I've studied it since. So it would be difficult for me to say. I'd definitely be interested in learning more if Dr Umar -- or someone familiar with the device -- would like to come on and explain.

HT,

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I've always liked Dr Karadeniz's style. He's very honest and to the point. Do you know if he uses the SAFE system with a sharp or dull punch?

HairsGone and Mick,

Correct. Dr Feller previously designed and used a motorized device. It's the one he's using in the video here:

Dr Feller's motorized tool was different and interesting because it was the first motorized device to use oscillation instead of pure rotation. Meaning that the motor ticked the punch back-and-forth in a 90 - 180 degree arc instead of a continuous 360 degree spinning motion (like other motorized devices). Dr Feller found that this decreased the torsion or twisting forces placed on the fragile grafts. It also reduced heat on the grafts.

After using it for some time, he realized that it did speed up the process; however, it was not as gentle and precise as the manual punches he previously created. And the results were better with these punches. So he went back to the manual punches and it's what we both use in FUE procedures today.

HT,

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I've always liked Dr Karadeniz's style. He's very honest and to the point. Do you know if he uses the SAFE system with a sharp or dull punch?

Dr Karadeniz uses a sharp punch. Not certain if he uses the safe system but he definitely uses a motorised sharp punch.

Great post. What worries me most is the grey area of "partial tech involvement". The clinics that seem to advertise as doctor run, but then we get reports from guys saying "The techs were doing this and that" and the results come back subpar. With these it's sort of a guessing game.

Who is the tech working on your very important scalp?

How long has he/she been working there?

How talented is he/she? (more than likely less talented than the doctor who you are actually paying for).

The more we read the more we come to realize that all aspects of a HT are ultra important and take talent and thought. From extraction without waste or ruin, to artistic placement etc. It all counts.

I think there should be more concern about this in the industry in general to insure better and better results over the coming years. Kind of important for everyone...

You know, I do not understand why some doctors call motorized extraction manual?

To me:

Manual extraction is when you use a regular punch and wiggle it yourself to make extractions.

Motorized extraction is when you use the safe system or any other system that uses a motor or power source to drill extractions for FUE.

Robotic extraction is when you use a system like the artas.

It seems like some docs that are using motorized devices prefer calling it manual for reasons not known, but only a few do this. The rest call it as it really is.

There have been tons of threads where folks preferred manual but then some motorized folks started saying motorized is also manual.

Manual is manual, without any transmission that changes speed or motors + gears in the device. The hand is what powers the total extraction by the extractor, that is manual.