Newbie took the FUE plunge......

PSB1013

Newbie here....Hello!

My brief history....48 y.o., Norwood 2A/3 (w/some slight crown loss). Been wearing a hair system for about 4 years but got sick of the maintenance, cost, and fear of onlookers, not to mention the discomfort.

Anyways, I've researched a bit (should've done more in hindsight) and decided to get the FUE transplant from a reputable local hair doctor. I've read and was told that FUE is more conservative, less painful (yeah, right), and more importantly, no visible linear scar. After initial consultation, I was told that I needed 2500 grafts.

So, several days ago, I finally took the plunge and went for it. After 12 grueling, painful hours, I got my 2500 grafts. I also had the new PRP (platelet rich plasma) injection done to enhance growth. What surprised me most about the procedure was how painful it was, despite given plenty of local anesthetic....I felt everything, esp. the extraction of the donor grafts. I think I would rather go through 5 root canals in a row than go through that again!

So now I'm in day 3 and starting this long process of waiting for the new hairs to grow in. My biggest concern is density. I'm wondering now if 2500 grafts is enough to give me the look I want similar to when I had my hairpiece on. Now, I know a transplant can't match the density of a hairpiece but it's gotta be close, right? :confused: Anyways, I've read about some doctors who use special FUT methods to extract maximum amount of follicles at one time....something like 6000-8000 grafts and claim to use a special suture method to make linear scars practically invisible. Now I'm thinking I spent 12 painful hours to harvest 2500 grafts (along with having a big rectangle bald patch in the back of my head with thousands of small red holes) when I should've considered FUT with 5000 grafts? I don't know. I'm just afraid that after a year, I might need to get a second transplant because the improvement with the FUE wasn't good enough.

Edited by David - Moderator

Sorry to hear about your pain. I've had two surgeries and never felt ANY pain during the procedures. I also had 2,000 grafts for my 2nd surgery and was out the door in a little over six hours (including a lunch break). Also, I'm not familiar with any FUT procedure that produces a linear scar that isn't quite obvious to everyone. I'm sure some doctors are more skilled than others regarding the suturing process.

Be patient and you will be pleased with the results in about 4-6 months. I've posted pictures and chronicled my experiences for over three years on my website. This site is wonderful for the forums, my site is just for before/after photos throughout my process. You can check it out at: myfuehairtransplant.com Make sure you click on the archives and go back to September 2012 to see my first surgery.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators

Seems like your expectations are too high, I'm Norwood 6 and I got 4,000 grafts via FUE, doing 5,000 grafts seems like overkill on a Norwood 3, hair restoration is not perfection, matching density as you had with a hairpiece just won't happen, you can never match hair for hair with any procedure regardless of FUE or FUT.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.