Pre-Op Anxiety

Hey Guys,

I am booked in for FUE with Dr.Feriduini very shortly. Estimation is that i need between 800/1200 grafts to the front and temples. My hair loss is very minimal, i have to stress this. I can hide it with Toppik and have been for the last 4 years, but i am sick of doing it and would rather not have to. On my left side is where is worst. But, i have gaps and transplanted grafts would go in between. I guess what i am most stressed about is shock loss to my existing hair.

My hair is naturally thick and dark(no greys) and i am 37. My questions would be:

- How common is shock loss?

- Is there anyone else around with a similar situation?

- Should i wait longer till my receding hairline gets worse?(i don't really want to wait)

Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

Could you post some photos of your hair for better assessment, shock loss can occur, it is common to look worse before you look better with hair restoration this is commonly referred to as the "ugly duckling" phase, taking finasteride and minoxidil could diminish the chance of shock loss and or speed up the recovery of the shocked follicles, permanent shock loss is quite rare, typically the follicles that don't grow back are follicles that are on their way out anyway.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Sorry for the double post. I have no idea why the forum flipped my pics. Here is another though.

Im 100% Honest here.

You could end up worse than before if you go ahead and transplant between your existing hairs.

Your hair is just to dense.

If i had This amount of hair i would stick to the little amount of toppik for now.

After the HT there is no turning back.

Is feriduni even considering doing a HT on you ?????

You're not a candidate for an HT yet in my opinion. I really dont see it. Surprised that someone would operate on you based on the photos provided. Your hair looks great.

Edited by esrec

It's obvious i am loosing my hair. Trust me. Pics are not the greatest in fairness. Not at my comp right now. Just a few i had on my phone. I am on Proscar the last 4.5 years. That actually did wonders as i was worse off then than i am now.

Honestly, I don't see why you even need Toppik.

I mean, I get it--I was a NWII and I've had 3,600 hairline grafts. Hair greed is real. But you have a NWI head of hair. You have a teenager's hair. Things can and do go wrong in hair transplantation, even with a pro like Feriduni. You could have poor growth and have a lower but pluggy-looking hairline. You could have loss in the donor area that doesn't recover. And on and on.

If everything goes well, then you'll look great. But if you do nothing, you'll also look great. Do yourself a favor a choose the option where you look great with no risk.

• Administrators

I'm gonna be straight up with you, having surgery could be risky, you have really thick hair, matching the density of your native hair could be a challenge, 800-1,000 grafts simply won't match the density, this may cause the work to look unnatural, at the sametime shock loss could occur, this means that for a few months you may end up looking worse and hating yourself for having surgery, imagine people telling you that you're going bald, if this minimal amount of hairloss bugs you, think about it being worse, is that something you want to deal with?

If I were you personally, I would conceal my hairloss with a different hairstyle, what I did when I had minimal hairloss just temple recession, I would wear a faux hawk that would cover the temples slightly, I would blow dry and comb up my hair to give my hair more volume, it really looked phenomenal and nobody would ever think I had a hair problem. I think the risk outweighs the reward in your situation.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If you Think the pictures are bad, why dont you take some better pictures with the worst lighting conditions?

Part your hair exactly where you Think it is thin. Mark the areas you Think needs to be filled.

If you want our opinions, you need to show us exactly what is bothering you with your hair.

And if your bothered by the Way your hair looks at those 3 pictures you show, Then my friend you dont need a HT, you need proffesionel help.

Sorry to be so Honest But thats the truth.

Have you ever seen a HT in Real life?

I am willing to bet that you have not.

If you did, you would realise that what you Think could be fixed with your hair is 99 % imposible.

I am 100 % positive you Will end up regretting it if you go ahead with it.

This picture is before my HT with one of the best FUE docs in the world

It is taken with flash so my hair looks thicker than it really is.

image.jpg.7046d8cc01db493d25b8b4860291fb4a.jpg

Honestly, I don't see why you even need Toppik.

I mean, I get it--I was a NWII and I've had 3,600 hairline grafts. Hair greed is real. But you have a NWI head of hair. You have a teenager's hair. Things can and do go wrong in hair transplantation, even with a pro like Feriduni. You could have poor growth and have a lower but pluggy-looking hairline. You could have loss in the donor area that doesn't recover. And on and on.

If everything goes well, then you'll look great. But if you do nothing, you'll also look great. Do yourself a favor a choose the option where you look great with no risk.

But how common is shockloss with a HT? 10-15% of patients?

I'm gonna be straight up with you, having surgery could be risky, you have really thick hair, matching the density of your native hair could be a challenge, 800-1,000 grafts simply won't match the density, this may cause the work to look unnatural, at the sametime shock loss could occur, this means that for a few months you may end up looking worse and hating yourself for having surgery, imagine people telling you that you're going bald, if this minimal amount of hairloss bugs you, think about it being worse, is that something you want to deal with?

If I were you personally, I would conceal my hairloss with a different hairstyle, what I did when I had minimal hairloss just temple recession, I would wear a faux hawk that would cover the temples slightly, I would blow dry and comb up my hair to give my hair more volume, it really looked phenomenal and nobody would ever think I had a hair problem. I think the risk outweighs the reward in your situation.

I'm not going to lower my hairline. I am going to fill in my temples and re-construct my overall frontal hairline. Thinning on the sides that totally changed my appearance. If i change my hair style you can notice my thinning areas even more. Tried it, not an option, but thanks.

dude don't do it!!!!!!
But, i'm not happy any want my hairline back?

If you Think the pictures are bad, why dont you take some better pictures with the worst lighting conditions?

Part your hair exactly where you Think it is thin. Mark the areas you Think needs to be filled.

If you want our opinions, you need to show us exactly what is bothering you with your hair.

And if your bothered by the Way your hair looks at those 3 pictures you show, Then my friend you dont need a HT, you need proffesionel help.

Sorry to be so Honest But thats the truth.

Have you ever seen a HT in Real life?

I am willing to bet that you have not.

If you did, you would realise that what you Think could be fixed with your hair is 99 % imposible.

I am 100 % positive you Will end up regretting it if you go ahead with it.

This picture is before my HT with one of the best FUE docs in the world

It is taken with flash so my hair looks thicker than it really is.

No mental issues, i'm perfectly fine thanks. I am loosing my hair 15 years, believe it or not, but i am. I will try get better pics up when i get home. Looking at your pics is worrying,, but how common is that?

I'm not going to lower my hairline. I am going to fill in my temples and re-construct my overall frontal hairline. Thinning on the sides that totally changed my appearance. If i change my hair style you can notice my thinning areas even more. Tried it, not an option, but thanks.

No mental issues, i'm perfectly fine thanks. I am loosing my hair 15 years, believe it or not, but i am. I will try get better pics up when i get home. Looking at your pics is worrying,, but how common is that?

Very commen i if you transplant into a thin Area. And my area was thinner than your hair.

So if you transplant into a denser Area there is a even bigger chance of shockloss.

I Think you need to provide more photos where you highlight the exact Area you want to fill and try to zoom in close like i did on my pictures. And get som good lighting.

Maybe stand close to the Window or overhead light close to your scalp.

Its your choise. But Think about This question.

What will you do if you end up worse than before? When you have an answer for that, and you are prepared to live with it, if it goes wrong, Then go ahead and do it. Its your choise, i Can only give my advice.

I have had 1 failed ht before with a former recommended doc wich went pretty bad!

And This second one i had is only 2,5 Month post op so i cannot speak of the result. But i wansnt prepared for the amount of shockloss i got.

That has causes me into a depressing and anxiaty because my hair is at the worse stage ever.

But again if you are prepared to take the chance, wich i dont Think is in your favour, Then by all means, go ahead.

also remember the risk of donor scarring if you choose a crap doctor.

I know you have your eyes on feriduni wich i Thinkis a good choise IF one needs a HT.

So donor Area should look just fine if you go with feriduni but nothing in This business is bulletproof. There is allways a chance that things doesnt go as planed. And i Think it happens more than we really know

This is my donor 1 year post op after 1300 grafts.

My second HT the doc exstracted from an higher Area and spread it more out and i Got a total of 1600 grafts. Donor looks like it have never been touched.

image.thumb.jpg.4e11a25609e21e82d2a1f5905a6ef72a.jpg

also remember the risk of donor scarring if you choose a crap doctor.

I know you have your eyes on feriduni wich i Thinkis a good choise IF one needs a HT.

So donor Area should look just fine if you go with feriduni but nothing in This business is bulletproof. There is allways a chance that things doesnt go as planed. And i Think it happens more than we really know

This is my donor 1 year post op after 1300 grafts.

My second HT the doc exstracted from an higher Area and spread it more out and i Got a total of 1600 grafts. Donor looks like it have never been touched.

Johnny that looks to be fairly extensive FUE scarring in the lower part of ur donor region. Was that caused by your 1st procedure?

"lower but pluggy-looking hairline."

I'm in agreement. I just got off the phone with a certified electrolysis to schedule an appointment to target a lot of the crappy looking hairs in my hairline. I really wish I had tried medicine before doing 1000 grafts across the front of my hairline at the suggestion of the doctor. Maybe I still would have opted for a hair transplant after trying medicine if it didn't produce the results I was looking for, but I'll never know now, and now I'm trying to undo the pluggy looking pubic hairs across the front of my forehead now.

I also wonder sometimes what damage was done to the native hairs by having this transplant.

It just doesn't look natural. I wear a constant combover to hide it; the whole reason I sought out the HT doctor in the first place was to address some of the combing over I was doing. So I paid a lot of money for a different combover, one more unnatural.

Ferudini always has impressive results with his NW2's and such. Still, one thing that really bothers me is that HT doctors post these photographs of their results, but there are rarely any accompanying critiques by the patient describing the degree of happiness with the outcome.

In our desire to address our hair loss, we look at photos of HT and think "Oooo! More hair!" but often we don't really see the finer details that might make one think, "Wait....more hair, but....wtf??".

I really think the HT docs should be required to provide a patient evaluation of the transplant when posting photographs. That might tell an entirely different story.

Mate - good on you for getting the procedure, but I have to agree with everyone here that you probably don't need a procedure and are taking a slight risk by doing it. However, chances are the procedure will be a success and you achieve your goals. Seeing that Dr Feriduni has a year long waitlist, you could probably make a fortune by selling your place in line to another patient.

Johnny that looks to be fairly extensive FUE scarring in the lower part of ur donor region. Was that caused by your 1st procedure?

Yes that was caused by my 1st HT procedure.

My Upper donor Area was used to Harvest 1600 grafts at my second HT wich was with dr lorenzo. And you cant see anything at all. Its like he didnt even extract a single grafts.

A World of difference from my first HT to my second.

My first was done in turkey, BIG mistake.

SupaGroover,

I was very surprised to see your photos and how much hair that you currently have and cannot agree more with the other members here about not doing anything right now. IMHO, you do not need any surgery...:rolleyes:

Shockloss cannot be predicted or stated in percentages. If we have learned anything about shockloss, it's that it is "unpredictable".

What we also do know is that the more native hair exists, the greater the risk of shockloss. So if you think your hairline bothers you now, how would you feel if you sustained some permanent shockloss and ended up with an irregular hairline with gaps of missing hair? And if you do experience permanent shockloss, guess what? It cannot be reversed...:confused:

You have an awesome head of hair and nice dense hairline! There are a countless number of guys who would absolutely die for your hair. Try to be happy with the abundance of what you have, not what you think you don't have...:rolleyes:

The risk outweighs any potential gains that you might make.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hey Guys,

I am booked in for FUE with Dr.Feriduini very shortly. Estimation is that i need between 800/1200 grafts to the front and temples. My hair loss is very minimal, i have to stress this. I can hide it with Toppik and have been for the last 4 years, but i am sick of doing it and would rather not have to. On my left side is where is worst. But, i have gaps and transplanted grafts would go in between. I guess what i am most stressed about is shock loss to my existing hair.

My hair is naturally thick and dark(no greys) and i am 37. My questions would be:

- How common is shock loss?

- Is there anyone else around with a similar situation?

- Should i wait longer till my receding hairline gets worse?(i don't really want to wait)

Thanks in advance!

I agree with Dr. Feriduni's assessment and plan.

You are clearly miniaturizing, not just in the hairline but in the top as well. This is no doubt why you are anxious to get it done now. I would have to agree with you. Starting on the hairline you have, and no lower, looks about right to me based on the angles of the photos.

Thickening up the front will give you a more solid frame and you can comb those hairs backward to give a "puff" effect and make the top look thicker as well. CAUTION though, the FUE procedure does not typically produce high quality and yield of single hair grafts, and you are going to need a lot of them to beef up your hairline without looking stalky. I

f you are dead set on doing it as an FUE just be prepared to do another pass sometime up the road, then you should be fine. But again I want to say caution because it looks like your other hair is miniaturizing as well UNLESS that top photo you put up has the hair wet. In that case, nothing to worry about yet. But if that hair is dry, then there is massive miniaturization going on and you may want to start planning for that now.

Best of luck to you

Dr. Feller

Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplants

Great Neck, NY

I agree with Dr. Feriduni's assessment and plan.

You are clearly miniaturizing, not just in the hairline but in the top as well. This is no doubt why you are anxious to get it done now. I would have to agree with you. Starting on the hairline you have, and no lower, looks about right to me based on the angles of the photos.

Thickening up the front will give you a more solid frame and you can comb those hairs backward to give a "puff" effect and make the top look thicker as well. CAUTION though, the FUE procedure does not typically produce high quality and yield of single hair grafts, and you are going to need a lot of them to beef up your hairline without looking stalky. I

f you are dead set on doing it as an FUE just be prepared to do another pass sometime up the road, then you should be fine. But again I want to say caution because it looks like your other hair is miniaturizing as well UNLESS that top photo you put up has the hair wet. In that case, nothing to worry about yet. But if that hair is dry, then there is massive miniaturization going on and you may want to start planning for that now.

Best of luck to you

Dr. Feller

Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplants

Great Neck, NY

Thanks for your reply, Doc! Appreciate it. I agree with what you have said. Before i started Proscar my crown was noticeably thin. That pic of the top of my head was taken after i towel dried my hair so its not 100% dry BUT like i said i was thinning up top. Proscar grew back a lot of hair for me, did wonders!

I have no doubt in my mind that i will need a 2nd procedure, and because you have pretty much hit the nail on the head with regards my hairloss, i will most certainly consult you in the future.

Best to you.

Thanks for your reply, Doc! Appreciate it. I agree with what you have said. Before i started Proscar my crown was noticeably thin. That pic of the top of my head was taken after i towel dried my hair so its not 100% dry BUT like i said i was thinning up top. Proscar grew back a lot of hair for me, did wonders!

I have no doubt in my mind that i will need a 2nd procedure, and because you have pretty much hit the nail on the head with regards my hairloss, i will most certainly consult you in the future.

Best to you.

No need to consult me. Just wanted to give my opinion based on the photos. Best of luck on your plan and your HT.

CAUTION though, the FUE procedure does not typically produce high quality and yield of single hair grafts, and you are going to need a lot of them to beef up your hairline without looking stalky.

Dr. Feller, without getting into the dreaded FUE versus FUT debate (at least I hope without getting into one), could you clarify your statement with regards to "high quality". Do you mean to say that single hair grafts from FUE procedures are not as good a quality as single hair grafts from FUT? Or that you can not get as many single hair grafts with FUE? And why?

Thank you!

Dr. Feller, without getting into the dreaded FUE versus FUT debate (at least I hope without getting into one), could you clarify your statement with regards to "high quality". Do you mean to say that single hair grafts from FUE procedures are not as good a quality as single hair grafts from FUT? Or that you can not get as many single hair grafts with FUE? And why?

Thank you!

It's interesting that you call it the "dreaded" debate.

Yes, I mean to say that single hair grafts from FUE procedures are not as good quality as those from FUT. The reason is trauma. By being single follicular grafts they do not have as much tissue around them to protect them during the traumatic extraction process. Even if they appear intact they are mostly damaged when compared to their FUT counterparts which experience no such trauma at all.

There you go.