Freaking out after hair transplant

Hi guys, I went on with the hair transplant( Will write a review) But right now im slightly freaking out.

This is my first operation ever. On all my body and i feel like what the fuck have i done to myself?

Ive started a journey i cannot stop.

Cannot stop taking minox

cannot stop taking finasteride

what if i lose more hair? Probably will.

What if result is bad?

Did i waste my money?

Can someone calm my nerves? I have no one to talk with. No one knows about the transplant.

Edit: im also flying home in a couple of hours and that scares me to.

Spex did a great video, somewhere on here, about "buyers regret" following a hair transplant and how you will feel post op. Worth watching. I think when you get home, get a few days rest, you'll be in a better frame of mind. You're possibly tired, jetlagged and have post op weariness that is clouding your thinking.

It will be ok.;)

thank you guys will look for these. I know that i thought everything through and decideed to guy by the safe route and not lowering hairline nor dense packing. But... the moment when you releasie there is no return now. The point of return has passed.

Yikes!

No need to worry now! What is done is done!!Unnecessary stress is definitely bad for your new hair!

Well its obvious that medications like Fin and Minox needs life long commitment, if you stop these medications you gonna loose your hair and stop worrying about results, its a long road! At present you should follow your doctor post op regime religiously!!

im also flying home in a couple of hours and that scares me to

Did airport security make you take your hat off??

Cause that would scare me even more....LOL.

Everybody in line will see your butchered scalp and start pointing fingers at you :D :eek: :o

Everybody in line will see your butchered scalp and start pointing fingers at you :D :eek: :o

They did make me in Minneapolis.. I just asked for a private screening and they pulled me in a separate room... It was a little scary...

Nearly everyone is worried about removing the hat at security . I was as well .

Truth is it was no big deal ! I just raised the front of my hat so they could see i'd had surgery , nobody behind could see so happy days .

In the end , I was more concerned about how i looked in the daft hat I was wearing , as I look a bit of a twat in a hat ! :D

The best thing to do is to allow your body to heal and to put your mind at ease.

If you chose a reputable talented surgeon, then your procedure should come out just fine, and there's no reason to think otherwise.

Think about the positive aspects, not the negative. Yes it will take a little bit of time for the healing and regrowth to manifest but once the procedure matures, it will be worth it all!...:D

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

to those guys afraid from the airport security. I was too. And i knew i had to face it sometime. So starting the day efter the surgery i went down and ate the breakfast without anything hiding my surgery. Felt wierd at the beginning but its a good feeling to not care about what people think care of you. And you start to notice quickly that 99% of the people dont care.

The best thing to do is to allow your body to heal and to put your mind at ease.

If you chose a reputable talented surgeon, then your procedure should come out just fine, and there's no reason to think otherwise.

Think about the positive aspects, not the negative. Yes it will take a little bit of time for the healing and regrowth to manifest but once the procedure matures, it will be worth it all!...:D

been stuck at the airtport for about 10-12 hours. My flight is going home in 5 hours. Now i just wanna get home and sleep in my own bed.

Spex did a great video, somewhere on here, about "buyers regret" following a hair transplant and how you will feel post op. Worth watching. I think when you get home, get a few days rest, you'll be in a better frame of mind. You're possibly tired, jetlagged and have post op weariness that is clouding your thinking.

It will be ok.;)

cant find it? even looked on his youtube channel

Wow, y"all are more insecure than I thought. After my procedure with Rahal, I connected through Toronto, and when I was going through security they first asked me to push down the surgical cap I was wearing or take it off. I told him due to the surgery I couldn't do the former but would oblige with taking it off. I did warn him that it would be gross as hell. When I took it off he was grossed out and flinched. There were people on the line, and folks in front of me had stopped to turn around and watch my demonstration. They also seemed grossed out, but once the show was over everyone just moved on and I highly doubt I will ever see these people again. If I do, they won't even recognize me with my new hair. I say don't worry about it, and if they do ask you to take it off, just have fun with it by watching everyone's reaction. I certainly did. I was kinda dissapointed they never asked me to take it off when I went through U.S immigration ( you go through U.s imm in Toronto). When the border officer looked at me, before I even handed anything over to him, said "are you coming from the hair doctor in Ottawa?" No idea how he knew, but he just did. Maybe the black surgical cap was the giveaway.

I didn't even bother wearing a hat, I wore the black cap all the way home and honestly didn't care about what people thought as I was protecting my investment and didn't want to risk damaging the new grafts.

Like someone said like you will ever see those people again.

They did make me in Minneapolis.. I just asked for a private screening and they pulled me in a separate room... It was a little scary...

Go figure. They didnt make me in Minneapolis. While in line I went up to the security guard and whispered to him that I had surgery on my head and would appreciate if could leave my hat on. He let me, no issues.

I think its the person more than a policy.

I was made to take my hat off a number of times returning to the US from India. I just owned it. One time I was in a long line waiting to go through the scanner and I was directed to take the hat off with several people still ahead of me. I can only imagine what the people behind me were wondering.

One security guy in India was intrigued and wanted to know about the procedure. The best was a guy in the US who asked, "what happened to you?"

I'll never see those people again.

As far as initial feelings of regret go, I reasoned it out like this...I told myself that I was fundamentally unhappy as a balding man: so much so that I had spent years researching, consulting and mulling over a hair transplant. Had I not gone through with it I would likely have spent many more years doing the same while being terribly unhappy. It had to end. I had to get the procedure and see what it might bring. Thankfully I did. I've never regretted it and I don't spend a minute concerned about my hair anymore.

It'll be fine. The waiting will be difficult but good things are on the horizon.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Also, on the topic of medical hair loss treatments, it's not much of an inconvenience and, in my opinion, a small price to pay for the peace of mind they bring. You'll get used to the routine and, in generic form, the cost is negligible.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Post Operative Regret can be an over powering feeling and is always worst when the patient is traveling. I had a patient years ago who traveled from another state to my clinic, had a procedure, then was off the next day to a European country for a month long stay with family. He called me from that country completely freaked out about the procedure (which was textbook perfect by the way). He called several times and each time he was more and more anxiety ridden. He was so worried he was literally ready to pull out all his grafts by himself! He was serious. I did the best I could to dissuade him, but he seemed pretty intent on doing it. I never heard from him again.

Why would this happen? Of course the patient may have clinical mental health problems that were undiagnosed or simply undisclosed during consultation and surgery. Nothing new there, people do that all the time. But putting this aside, what could have happened?

I believe that the specter of "buyers remorse" is ever present in patients because they know in an internet world they have a choice of doctors, but never feel they've done enough research to justify their actual choice-no matter how much research they do. So a lingering doubt always pervades the decision even after the fact. But this passes as the mind begins to accept and believe that there is only so much research one can do.

The second reason may well be the medications. Patients don't usually take narcotic pain killers and antibiotics and either one, or both in combination, after an HT can cause emotional variations for the time they are being taken. Steroids in particular (which I believe are unnecessary for modern HTs) may cause vicious mood swings. Combine this with the feeling of buyers remorse and the feelings of doom may be overwhelming.

Now add to this the stress and exhaustion of travel. This leads to impatience, short temper, and generalized frustration and anguish. A partial helpful solution is simply to travel with a friend or loved one. This way the patient can vent or just get support from someone who will standby them when they feel most vulnerable.

I wouldn't worry too much as the feeling passes for most people. But in a very few it simply doesn't- irrespective of how good the transplant ultimately grows and looks. It's not right or wrong, it's just how it is sometimes.

If you picked the best doctor you thought was right for you, and the procedure was done to modern day standards, then you are very likely to be satisfied with not just your results, but your decision as well.

Grow well,

Dr. Feller

Feller and Bloxham, PC

Great Neck, NY

wow david thanks for your answer.

Really liked the part about spending time worrying about loosing hair and daily searching. Hopefully i can put the research on the side in a year :)

I was made to take my hat off a number of times returning to the US from India. I just owned it. One time I was in a long line waiting to go through the scanner and I was directed to take the hat off with several people still ahead of me. I can only imagine what the people behind me were wondering.

One security guy in India was intrigued and wanted to know about the procedure. The best was a guy in the US who asked, "what happened to you?"

I'll never see those people again.

As far as initial feelings of regret go, I reasoned it out like this...I told myself that I was fundamentally unhappy as a balding man: so much so that I had spent years researching, consulting and mulling over a hair transplant. Had I not gone through with it I would likely have spent many more years doing the same while being terribly unhappy. It had to end. I had to get the procedure and see what it might bring. Thankfully I did. I've never regretted it and I don't spend a minute concerned about my hair anymore.

It'll be fine. The waiting will be difficult but good things are on the horizon.

Really well said David. I think the hardest decision is the one to finally take back control of your life and end the suffering. It's more then just a procedure at that point. People don't give themselves enough credit for the bravery in that.

Really well said David. I think the hardest decision is the one to finally take back control of your life and end the suffering. It's more then just a procedure at that point. People don't give themselves enough credit for the bravery in that.

thought about this to. Im home now. Im "safe". I did it. Its a really really really big step for me. My first surgery in my whole life.

still little freaked out though. Gonna give it some time.

I believe that the specter of "buyers remorse" is ever present in patients because they know in an internet world they have a choice of doctors, but never feel they've done enough research to justify their actual choice-no matter how much research they do. So a lingering doubt always pervades the decision even after the fact. But this passes as the mind begins to accept and believe that there is only so much research one can do.

The second reason may well be the medications. Patients don't usually take narcotic pain killers and antibiotics and either one, or both in combination, after an HT can cause emotional variations for the time they are being taken. Steroids in particular (which I believe are unnecessary for modern HTs) may cause vicious mood swings. Combine this with the feeling of buyers remorse and the feelings of doom may be overwhelming.

Great Neck, NY

Spot on Dr Feller. It's funny that you mentioned this. After my first procedure in NY where I researched and chose the best surgeon in NY, I was on a high for the first few days and was excited about what the result would look like. Then as I was laying around recovering, doubt started to hit me and I started to wonder why I only researched the best surgeons in NY and not in the US or even the world. Immediately I was back online researching and quickly realized that the 2,000 FUT grafts I just had done were not going to be nearly enough, and there were clinics like Hasson & Wong out there that could have got me 4,000 plus grafts in one pass. Regret immediately kicked in and I wanted to kick myself. At that point I vowed that I would get it right for the 2nd procedure. I wouldn't say I completely wrote-off my 1st procedure, but definitely lowered my expectations alot.

After my 2nd procedure with Dr Rahal, I hit that same high, but then at moments in the week after surgery when stating at the work in the mirror, started to wonder how different it could have looked if I had gone with Dr Hasson or Dr Shapiro, or maybe Dr Hasson could have gotten a extra couple of hundred grafts from the strip. Not saying I have any regrets at all, but it's very easy to start 2nd guessing even though I researched like crazy and am delighted at the work from Dr Rahal. I quickly snapped out of those moments, because it's really silly and I am getting a Rahal hairline. Also for the 2nd procedure after coming off the high when I stopped taking the painkillers, I did suffer from depression. I very rarely every suffer depression, and was having these nightmares about my ex-girlfriends and reliving the break-ups. I suspected it was because of the anti-biotics (had to take 1 every 6 hours - Cephalexin Keflex), and once I got to day 10 and stopped, I returned back to my normal self. I am now convinced it was the anti-biotics that caused the depression. It's weird because I wasn't down on the HT, was over the moon about the transplant but walking around depressed. I do have a better appreciation now for people that suffer from it as it really is a dark dark place.