Lost call?

Hello everyone,

I finally decided to do some research for getting a FUE-transplant in Istanbul, although I'm pretty sure this is a lost call, and it can't really be improved enough to leave me satisfied. I really just want to know if anyone here has seen someone with my loss to get a good transplant?

I sent some pictures to a couple of clinics and surgeons, but I would really appreciate some advice from people that I won't pay money to.

I also assume that it will take several procedures and many grafts, any estimations?

Thank you in advance.

IMG_20151022_234422.thumb.jpg.3de003d13a929e4e3e5840c739231987.jpg

IMG_20151022_234553.thumb.jpg.a608d2f5956e987897032c6ccc531a90.jpg

IMG_20151022_234558.thumb.jpg.f4fada2dab817440f0e106028f0403f8.jpg

IMG_20151022_234621.thumb.jpg.43782b09c63884515221299402bb84a4.jpg

• Administrators

You appear to be a Norwood 6/7 it's hard to tell, the side fringes appear to be intact, but because you shave it's hard to see if there is any miniaturization. You are slick bald though, this would be a difficult case, and not many surgeons would be equipped to handle such a case, it'll be expensive and you'll more than likely have to explore alternative routes to help with density like beard hair and Tricopigmentation, it all depends on your expectations, as another guy who is also a Norwood 6, typically 8/10 people will advise against surgery, because perhaps in their mind it's not worth it.

Managing expectations is crucial in the success of hair restoration, if you expect to have a full head of hair you could go swimming with and see no signs of thinning, or if you expect to get that teenage hairline again, than I would say surgery is not for you, however, if you have realistic expectations, and you're willing to invest time and money than surgery may be suitable, check out my profile and thread you'll see where I was and where I am today, my hair is still thin in harsh lights or when it's wet, my crown hasn't been worked on and so far I've gotten 4,000 grafts, I reckon another 2,000 grafts should address the crown and lateral humps, now mind you the crown will look thin and I'll need to be clever to make it work and look good.

Another thing not to many people mention is head size, I have a really small head, which sucks when your bald and looking for hats, but is actually beneficial for getting a hair transplant because the cm2 that needs to be covered is not a lot, by looking at your photos your head appears somewhat large but I could be wrong, I would imagine you need at least 8,000 grafts to achieve full coverage with good density in the front third and sparse coverage as you move back towards the crown hope this helps.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You appear to be a Norwood 6/7 it's hard to tell, the side fringes appear to be intact, but because you shave it's hard to see if there is any miniaturization. You are slick bald though, this would be a difficult case, and not many surgeons would be equipped to handle such a case, it'll be expensive and you'll more than likely have to explore alternative routes to help with density like beard hair and Tricopigmentation, it all depends on your expectations, as another guy who is also a Norwood 6, typically 8/10 people will advise against surgery, because perhaps in their mind it's not worth it.

Managing expectations is crucial in the success of hair restoration, if you expect to have a full head of hair you could go swimming with and see no signs of thinning, or if you expect to get that teenage hairline again, than I would say surgery is not for you, however, if you have realistic expectations, and you're willing to invest time and money than surgery may be suitable, check out my profile and thread you'll see where I was and where I am today, my hair is still thin in harsh lights or when it's wet, my crown hasn't been worked on and so far I've gotten 4,000 grafts, I reckon another 2,000 grafts should address the crown and lateral humps, now mind you the crown will look thin and I'll need to be clever to make it work and look good.

Another thing not to many people mention is head size, I have a really small head, which sucks when your bald and looking for hats, but is actually beneficial for getting a hair transplant because the cm2 that needs to be covered is not a lot, by looking at your photos your head appears somewhat large but I could be wrong, I would imagine you need at least 8,000 grafts to achieve full coverage with good density in the front third and sparse coverage as you move back towards the crown hope this helps.

Thank you for the great reply, my expectations aren't so high that the result should match my hair three years ago, I just want to make the pale area less visible, and still make it look natural. My head is actually quite small, I should probably take some new photos and avoid shaving my head for two weeks or so :)

• Administrators
Thank you for the great reply, my expectations aren't so high that the result should match my hair three years ago, I just want to make the pale area less visible, and still make it look natural. My head is actually quite small, I should probably take some new photos and avoid shaving my head for two weeks or so :)

That would help in asses your donor area, it all depends on how dense your donor is, also tricopigmentation helps lessen the contrast of skin, if your head is small that only helps you, you will have to accept that the crown will be left thin, there's some tricks you could do to make it look good, like fade in to the bald spot and use concealers like toppik and dermmatch. Choose a surgeon wisely, that's important, there are not many legitimate clinics in turkey, there's Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Kardeniz, Dr. Demirsoy, if you want affordable there's Dr. Bhatti in India, he does body hair as well which you will likely need for additional density.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi toco,

It's clear from the pics that you have extensive hair loss and as HTsoon says it's important that you are realistic in your expectations. It sounds like you appreciate this though. I definitely recommend getting an in person consultation with a reputable clinic as no amount of opinions based on photos alone can replace a face to face consult.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

• 2 months later...

I took some new pictures, I'm going to visit a clinic in Sweden to see what they have to say, I also used the razor for measurement, anyone that has seen this kind of hair loss, yet having a successful transplant? For me, filling the pale parts is more than enough, the thickness doesnt bother me..

IMG_20160131_163914.thumb.jpg.088abf3ff4c73e6af120c68ce13ba7ae.jpg

IMG_20160131_163958.thumb.jpg.601559aa2799037bcc880aaad485b59f.jpg

IMG_20160131_164214.thumb.jpg.d243aba202f55e6b8112890350087ba6.jpg

IMG_20160131_164322.thumb.jpg.89686fc7b8e7a45ce8108936ea9bdda9.jpg

As per norm HT soon gave sound advice.

You can show pictures all day long to many of us including doctors.

For best advice go & have one on one consultations with as many as possible dont be rushed then once you have a clear idea of what it takes& what is realistic to accomplish

Do you about SMP? Might be something to consider since you know the feel of a shaved head

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

My observation is that you are between a class 6 & 7 but definitely headed for 7.

The permanence of your donor along with an accurate estimate of how many "harvestable" grafts you have available will be the best tell-all.

IMHO, a plan that would involve a low density pass along with SMP and maintaining a very short buzz hair style would potentially produce the most satisfying result "if" you must have some level of coverage.

The single biggest obstacle is crown coverage because it demands so much of ones available scalp donor.

And I concur, get as many multiple opinions as possible...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

You have a nice head. My advice is to take that razor and use it. Or a hair system. But I would go with the razor if I were you.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

What's the best way to tell if a Norwood 6 is going to become a 7?

The best way to tell is to look at the hair on the edge/rim between where there is no hair and where there is. For example, if the crown is already barren or extremely thin, look at the edges where the hair starts again. If the edges are diffused, then that's usually a sign that more recession is likely to occur.

With a true Norwood 6, the edges of hair is usually strong with little diffusion noted. It's like a strong wall of hair that meets a bald surface area.

Of course the best way to evaluate further recessionary loss is to have the area examined microscopically to note any signs of miniaturization and diffusion that is likely to manifest with more loss.

And lastly, if you are a Norwood 6 now, and you have family history of Norwood 7's such as your father, grandfather, brother, uncles, etc., then that's also a sign where you are headed.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY