Conflict of Time Between a Hair transplant & Work

Good afternoon gentlemen. Today I was pondering upon the problem of the conflict of time between a hair transplant/recovery and one's work schedule. Obviously a doc's availability may not necessarily fall in line with your work schedule. In such a case, how can one afford himself the time needed to schedule a transplant without sacrificing his employment?

That's why I scheduled mine a few days before X-mas where my firm shuts down for a few days supplemented by a few vacation days, and I pretty much get close to 3 weeks for recovery. I even lets Rahal shave the whole head, but I think the biggest issue will be how to hide the scar until enough hair grows back to cover it. I need to ask the clinic if I can use a a layer of couvre or dermmatch to conceal it. Otherwise I may even just wrap a bandage around it and tell them I had a minor accident. I'm not too concerned about the recipient area, but will see how it looks next week.

Buzzing your head or having alternative hairstyle are really your only two options. For ex, If I was able to brush my hair fwd w/o looking terrible I'd have done it post-op. Mav buzzed his head bc he can pull it off.

Otherwise, you'll need carve out some additional time. I know its sounds shady, but you could also grab a doctors note and buy yourself some medical time. "Broken ankle" could have you working from home for a month. Or you could just have a friend break your ankle ;)

I know its sounds shady, but you could also grab a doctors note and buy yourself some medical time. "Broken ankle" could have you working from home for a month.

A doc's note sounds legit even though its done out of a lie. But you'd need to know a good friend who happens to be a doc to vouch a "valid" medical note that would excuse you from work for a time.

But what i want to know is how do I hide the scar in the back of the head. Maybe a bandana could do the trick? But in certain work environments, a bandana may not be appropriate. I got no problem exposing a post-op bald scalp. The issue is how to hide that scar. Any suggestions?

I'm half joking, but it can be done. It's a white lie, a social buffer. Can you work from home without a doctors note? In my industry as long as I'm online and accessible its fine.

Hiding the scar is the easy part. You just have to leave the back of your head hair a certain length.

I Can you work from home without a doctors note?

Hiding the scar is the easy part. You just have to leave the back of your head hair a certain length.

Are you serious? I can't work from from home.

Hiding the scar is not easy at all. How can one hide the scar at a certain hair length post op when it's just been freshly shaved?

No offense but have you ever had a transplant done?

Hiding the scar is not easy at all. How can one hide the scar at a certain hair length post op when it's just been freshly shaved?

Be nice! For my 2nd procedure, I was given two options by Dr Rahal:

1) As it was mandatory to shave the recepient area, He would only buzz that patch and leave the rest of my hair as is, so yes in that instance you have hair to cover the scar.

2) buzz everything.

I chose option 2 because I would have looked very odd with option 1. Still trying to figure out how I am going to hide the scar when I return to work after 3 weeks off, and no, there is not enough hair to cover it. Maybe a layer of dermmatch or Curve over it will help, but I need to find out if my clinic will allow it.

I know some people go with option 1. It all depends if you can pull that off. For my 1st procedure, the surgeon didn't buzz cut any hair at all. He just used a stick and place approach through existing hair. I don't agree with that philosophy as it just makes the procedure more challenging for the surgeon, but there are surgeons who will accommodate not shaving at all.

Sair,

Thanks for bringing this up. It's not an easy thing to plan and schedule a hair transplant around work. Unfortunately, there is a period of time where a hair transplant may be relatively obvious looking, especially if your hair transplant surgeon requires shaving the recipient and donor area. Some doctors will do "long haired" hair transplants where the donor area doesn't have to be shaved and longer hair is transplanted in the balding areas. Patients who undergo this type of procedure typically look like they haven't had any work done, but they will have a lot more hair than they did before surgery. But, there is always that shedding period and that hair will fall out until it begins to regrow 3 to 5 months later. The recipient area may still be a little red as well.

Is typically best to try to schedule a hair transplant during some time off, even if you can do it the first day of a weeklong vacation. But unless you can wear a hat at work, there is probably no way you can avoid somebody noticing something different about your scalp. This, it may be a good idea to come up with whatever story that makes sense about why your scalp looks different. You could even consider being honest about the work you've had done.

After the first week, you could also consider using some topical concealer which may conceal some of the redness or any shock loss you may experience as a result of surgery. Other than that, there's really not too much else you can do in my experience.

I hope you find this at least somewhat helpful.

Best wishes in restoring your precious follicles in 2016,

Bill

That's why I scheduled mine a few days before X-mas where my firm shuts down for a few days supplemented by a few vacation days, and I pretty much get close to 3 weeks for recovery. I even lets Rahal shave the whole head, but I think the biggest issue will be how to hide the scar until enough hair grows back to cover it. I need to ask the clinic if I can use a a layer of couvre or dermmatch to conceal it. Otherwise I may even just wrap a bandage around it and tell them I had a minor accident. I'm not too concerned about the recipient area, but will see how it looks next week.

I'm in the exact same position . 16 days post op and back to work on Monday .

Sair,

Thanks for bringing this up. It's not an easy thing to plan and schedule a hair transplant around work. Unfortunately, there is a period of time where a hair transplant may be relatively obvious looking, especially if your hair transplant surgeon requires shaving the recipient and donor area. Some doctors will do "long haired" hair transplants where the donor area doesn't have to be shaved and longer hair is transplanted in the balding areas. Patients who undergo this type of procedure typically look like they haven't had any work done, but they will have a lot more hair than they did before surgery. But, there is always that shedding period and that hair will fall out until it begins to regrow 3 to 5 months later. The recipient area may still be a little red as well.

Is typically best to try to schedule a hair transplant during some time off, even if you can do it the first day of a weeklong vacation. But unless you can wear a hat at work, there is probably no way you can avoid somebody noticing something different about your scalp. This, it may be a good idea to come up with whatever story that makes sense about why your scalp looks different. You could even consider being honest about the work you've had done.

After the first week, you could also consider using some topical concealer which may conceal some of the redness or any shock loss you may experience as a result of surgery. Other than that, there's really not too much else you can do in my experience.

I hope you find this at least somewhat helpful.

Best wishes in restoring your precious follicles in 2016,

Bill

You must have read my mind Bill ! I've just updated my HT story and raised the same question before checking the latest threads , which coincidently included this one .

• Administrators

Without turning this in to an FUEvsFUT thread, this was one of my personal reasons for choosing FUE, I returned to work after two weeks the recipient area had shed, my donor area looked normal, I had told my co workers I decided to buzz my head for the summer, I had my procedure in July, I do agree with you, the only way to really hide a strip scar is to be able to grow your hair long enough to hide it, if you're really bald like me, that means looking like crusty the clown for months until the transplanted hair starts to grow, so time off of work etc. depends on what procedure you got.

If you got the strip,I really don't know how you'd hide the scar, you could try concealer, but don't think that would work, because toppik requires some hairs to be able to grab on too, otherwise it'll look like dirt, dermmatch maybe, but it might look like paint, I think it would be worse to be caught trying to hide the scar, what I would do in your situation, is try to extend my time off of work if possible, if that's not possible, I would probably tell people I fell and hit my head, there's no two ways around it, the scar will be visible with short hair, people will ask you, and if you try and conceal it, it may look weird and make it obvious you're trying to hide something. Wish I could be more help but I got FUE and recovery is a lot different good luck and here's to more hair 2016.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I maintain my original point. And yes, I'm 3 months FUT post-op ;)

My donor scar was hidden immediately after surgery as a result of my hair length. If you wear your hair longer this is an easy option. If you wear your hair shorter it is not an option.

Attached is a picture mere hours after surgery. The scar could not be seen and was covered by hair. The recipient is an entirely different story, which is why I opted for more time off, as I did not have an alternative hairstyle choice. You need to think about all of these things and plan ahead. Hope this helps.

image.jpg.665bcd40a3bd28f6f669c72f557e667b.jpg

Edited by esrec

Be nice! For my 2nd procedure' date=' I was given two options by Dr Rahal:

1) As it was mandatory to shave the recepient area, He would only buzz that patch and leave the rest of my hair as is, so yes in that instance you have hair to cover the scar.

2) buzz everything.

[/quote']

Be sensible! You said some things that I hope you can clear up. I got some questions for you..

--- You said rahal did your transplant. Was it he or his assistants that did the actual surgery?

--- I’m thinking about going to rahal. But I’d like rahal to do the surgery himself. Would it be more expensive to have him do it vs. his assistants?

--- How long after you scheduled for your 1st procedure did you get surgery?

--- Why did you get a 2nd procedure? Why didn’t the first one suffice, especially with rahal?

Be sensible! You said some things that I hope you can clear up. I got some questions for you..

--- You said rahal did your transplant. Was it he or his assistants that did the actual surgery?

--- I’m thinking about going to rahal. But I’d like rahal to do the surgery himself. Would it be more expensive to have him do it vs. his assistants?

--- Why did you get a 2nd procedure? Why didn’t the first one suffice, especially with rahal?

Think you need to adjust your tone a bit fella !

You're asking advice , people are good enough to offer you advice but it doesn't really sound like you appreciate it .

• Administrators

The tone is reminiscent of taurearisen guy who was banned a month ago, even with the Rahal questions.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yes I had strip FUT performed. Dr Rahal administered the freezing, cut the strip out and sutured it back up. Then he made all the incisions into the recipient area himself. He did not perform any of the graft placements into the recepient area, that was performed 100% by the technicians. He did check-in at numerous intervals as well as supervise the technicians. I was very comfortable with this arrangement, and I am confident he was 100% focused when making the incisions and cutting the strip. At no time did I get the sense he was distracted or rushed. You never know about the technitions performing the graft placements, but I did have 3 to 4 technitions doing this function concurrently. If it was just the surgeon, the process would tale much longer thereby increasing the amount of time that precious grafts are out of body. Very few HT surgeons in the world will do the graft placements by themselves. The only top surgeon that I am aware of that does it himself is Dr Konior. I am sure if you negotiated with Dr Rahal he can agree to do it himself, but he would probably have to only perform 1 surgery that day and I assume will charge you for it. Best bet is to ask the clinic that question.

I waited around a year and a half to get my 2nd procedure. My 1st procedure was not with Dr Rahal. I never did my research the 1st time and limited myself to a recommended New York surgeon. I was so stupid that I never even consulted with Dr Feller because he is in Long Island and I wanted my clinic near where I lived and worked. He did a solid job, but never implanted enough density. I did a lot more research after that, and decided I wanted to go with one of the top surgeons in the world for my 2nd procedure - hence where I landed. My final three were Rahal, Ron Shapiro, and Hasson.

Let me know if you have more questions, very happy to help. Who are your other choices?

The tone is reminiscent of taurearisen guy who was banned a month ago, even with the Rahal questions.

Good catch HTsoon, it is 100% Taurisrisen. Just look at the pictures he just posted in this thread and compare to the pics attached to the original Taurisrisen handle.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/181873-hair-loss-killing-my-holiday-spirit.html

Fine detective work as always gents. 0-3 Taur Taur.

Also find it funny that I was sarcastically asked "if I've ever even had an HT" considering my inbox is full of PM's from the guy inquiring about mine.

Fine detective work as always gents. 0-3 Taur Taur.

Also find it funny that I was sarcastically asked "if I've ever even had an HT" considering my inbox is full of PM's from the guy inquiring about mine.

LOL - I should have known. Funny thing is a couple of months ago Taurisrisen accused me of being a Rahal hater and a secret agent for Erdogan.

It's funny how he almost got away with this new identity but he just can't help himself from being rude and disrespectful to forum members trying to help him.

Pics look familiar?

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...ay-spirit.html

Hair Restoration Social Network ? Community for and by Hair Loss Patients - taurusrisen's Profile

I don’t know what that is. Sorry if you got the wrong individual.

Dr Rahal administered the freezing, cut the strip out and sutured it back up. Then he made all the incisions into the recipient area himself. He did not perform any of the graft placements into the recepient area, that was performed 100% by the technicians.

My 1st procedure was not with Dr Rahal. I never did my research the 1st time and limited myself to a recommended New York surgeon. I was so stupid that I never even consulted with Dr Feller because he is in Long Island and I wanted my clinic near where I lived and worked.

Mr. gunthers appreciate the follow ups. Now there are some questions in order….

----- I read that techs are not as good as the actual doctor doing the procedure. Do you think you’d have had a better result if the actual doctor himself transplanted the hair in your 2nd procedure?

---- I understand now. So your 1st procedure was with Doc Feller and your 2nd was with Doc Rahel. DO you have any pictures to see the work Doc Fellers and Doc Rahel did?

---- For your 2nd procedure how long did you wait after scheduling for your procedure to get the surgery?

---- so would you recommend Doc feller?

By the way take a look at the 3rd page of my thread and pictures I uploaded there. Let me know what you think since I want more density in the front. If you don’t think that I’m ready for a transplant then I’d wait it off until I’m ready. DO keep in mind that I’m focusing on the front. Nothing else:

https://webproxy.vpnbook.com/browse.php?u=HNE86TYh0qXuhxyls%2BtNdM1AZtLFmBMux4VXKS1s%2FXlqVxRdVt8uufDqomGj2oq5L6kSxZ4K%2BoOF%2Fa42i4YevzJkCcPk0TDRF0oSaPGQSku6Z3dfZm3W&b=0

Thanks for your vigilance guys!

So here are the pics Stig is referencing. Obviously the same guy. The salr account shares IP addresses with a couple of other accounts that I'll be taking a look at also. It's not impossible for two accounts to share a past IP under certain circumstances but it's quite unusual.

Taurusrisen was banned for vulgar language and childish behavior that violated our Terms of Service. Ultimately, if he successfully creates a new alias and contributes to the forum undetected in a manner that is polite and in accordance with our Terms of Service, we all win anyway. In this case, I see that he already started getting testy with people under his salr moniker so I guess he really doesn't have a lot of self-control when it comes to expressing himself.

Keep on trying taurus!

salr.JPG.313b27c7e1f8f9635bd4ebf5cf6ee533.JPG

taurusrisen.jpg.7697bd3891f7d382a9bb541f62f96780.jpg

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website