"Too young" and "too aggressive MPB"?

Some people have stated that they believe that younger patients who are experiencing "aggressive hairloss" would be advised to avoid FUE and opt for FUT instead, with the idea of having greater yield. I am currently 28 and headed for a I am now deep within NW3(with the vortex increasingly thinning). As such, while I am not 24 and at a NW5, I was wondering what people thought regarding what qualifies as "young" and "aggressive". I know that this is all very subjective, but I was looking for some consensus.

I would say anyone with frontal and crown loss should be careful not to be too agressive with their hair placement. Also, this doesn't mean that you need to go strip. I believe you'll get more hair stripping out first, but you may want a fall back plan of a bit tighter hair cut, so fue may still be for you.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Theo,

Difficult question to answer simply because androgenic alopecia ("AGA," "male pattern baldness - aka MPB," etc) is unpredictable.

You may be a young NW III now, but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't be an "old" NW III 20 years down the road. It also doesn't mean you won't be a young NW V - VI in a few years either (though there are certain things to look for in these instances). I've seen it go both ways, and unfortunately it is difficult to predict and provide accurate estimates of what may happen down the road.

As far as the FUE versus FUT debate for young patients, I agree with your initial assessment. However, it is a bit more complicated than this. Allow me to explain: young patients with aggressive hair loss MUST do all they can to maximize their donor capacity. This means not wasting any grafts, and it also means minimizing donor damage and leaving as much virgin tissue for future procedures as possible. This is precisely where FUT shines. You get the most grafts, the best yield, and leave the most tissue for future FUT and non-strip procedures down the road. However, keep in mind that this is a pretty committed and long-term approach. It's what is best for younger and more aggressive-patterned patients, but it is long-term plan. If you think that any sort of scarring in the donor may be an issue down the road because you might just opt for "shaving it all off," I usually recommend doing a "shave trial" now to see how you like it. Any incision and extraction (aka surgery) in the back of the scalp leaves scarring. So if this is something that could be a problem if you commit yourself to surgery, it's likely best to give it a try now and see if you like it. If so, you've saved yourself a lot of time and money, and truly still have the option to "buzz down."

Getting back to the original question ...

I wouldn't consider a 28 year old NW III "too young" or "too aggressive." You may very well be a good surgical candidate at this point in time. However, it sounds like you would benefit from a scalp examination to determine your candidacy and how your hair loss MAY progress.

Hope this helps! Best of luck.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Administrators

28 Norwood III you're not to young, if you were gonna be in the bald by 30 i.e prince Williams you'd be almost there by now, but nothing is guaranteed, as for FUE vs FUT you will get more grafts doing a combo, but just know that the scar may become visible once you have multiple strips and do FUE, also if you ever want to wear your hair short on the sides you may want to reconsider. I've had two FUE procedures and I was Norwood 6 bald by 30 club, could I have gotten more grafts doing a combo sure but then I'd have to live with a linear scar the rest of my life, bottom line you can get good results with either procedure so long as you choose a good surgeon.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

There is a constant battle between current donor and need and future donor and need. Find an ethical and competent doctor and see what he has to say.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Happy to say that I'm in NYC, and so there are a host of different docs here. I was fairly convinced about going for FUE since I usually keep my side hair short at around a 2/3, but am now considering having FUT for my first and then maybe fixing up the scar area with FUE in the future.

(admittedly, the following has nothing to do with the topic here and is more of a reflection about this generally)

I have to admit, the lack of clear roads with regard to hair transplants and hair loss generally is probably one of the hardest things to deal with as a hair loss sufferer.

Edited by Theodpliske8711

A skilled FUE surgeon, would choose specific grafts with your age in mind just in case you needed more in the future. I would hate to see someone choose strip surgery and then spend money down the road covering the scar with FUE. At least get a consult with an FUE surgeon and get their opinion before making the final decision.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

Find an ethical and competent doctor and see what he has to say.

I echo above statement.

There are many choices in NYC so try to visit 4 or 5 clinics to get their recommendation. I would think if they practice both strip and fue well you're more likely to get their unbiased opinion as to which is better technique is better option for you.

You're in the right place and seem to have a very good grasp on reality and what's in store for you should you follow through with the hair transplant. As others have stated, setting up those initial consultations will be a huge step in the right direction. You'll learn so much just in that consultation alone that you'll already be much more equipped to make the decision that's best for you.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56