A few questions about newly grown hair.

Hi All. Its been exactly 5 months since my FUT HT. I had very little growth until I reached the 4 month mark. That's when I saw a noticeable difference. But I have a few questions about the newly grown hair. My first question is that roughly how much time it takes for their texture to become normal. They are wavy and have a wire like texture and are hard to style and they don't seem to follow the direction of a brush. I have been using brush gently on them, is it even safe to use a brush at this time? Some times it seems like the gaps between the hair specially the hair line has increased a little, could be my imagination but is it possible that the brush might have taken some hair out? Is it easy for the hair to come out?

My 2nd question is that can I use hair dryer or color the hair or use gel? Is it bad for the transplanted hair after 5 months?

Finally I want to ask everyone's opinion about the growth. Please see the before and after pic and tell me if this is normal for 5 months. I met my HT doc about 2 weeks ago and according to him, my growth looks good for 4.5 months. He said from this time on, they are going to get thicker and the small empty spaces should fill up. I really hope he is right . I'll really appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Hair_Compare.jpg.dc0ded12d49d2e66206eb5114ca208e8.jpg

That looks about right. Stay away from hot hot showers. I use Nioxin and have seen zero hair in the shower drain since starting the tx a year ago.. It should continue to come in and 'normalize' for a few more months. :D

Hi All. Its been exactly 5 months since my FUT HT. I had very little growth until I reached the 4 month mark. That's when I saw a noticeable difference. But I have a few questions about the newly grown hair. My first question is that roughly how much time it takes for their texture to become normal. They are wavy and have a wire like texture and are hard to style and they don't seem to follow the direction of a brush. I have been using brush gently on them, is it even safe to use a brush at this time? Some times it seems like the gaps between the hair specially the hair line has increased a little, could be my imagination but is it possible that the brush might have taken some hair out? Is it easy for the hair to come out?

My 2nd question is that can I use hair dryer or color the hair or use gel? Is it bad for the transplanted hair after 5 months?

Finally I want to ask everyone's opinion about the growth. Please see the before and after pic and tell me if this is normal for 5 months. I met my HT doc about 2 weeks ago and according to him, my growth looks good for 4.5 months. He said from this time on, they are going to get thicker and the small empty spaces should fill up. I really hope he is right . I'll really appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thats great progress! Dont be phased, thats some nice growth.

What did your doctor recommend post op? Its best to follow his instructions exactly.

Thank you esrec for the reply. My doctor didn't recommend anything. In fact I totally forgot to ask him about the questions I asked here. We mainly discussed FIN usage which I am having trouble with. That was our main topic of discussion.

Edited by srm73

That looks about right. Stay away from hot hot showers. I use Nioxin and have seen zero hair in the shower drain since starting the tx a year ago.. It should continue to come in and 'normalize' for a few more months. :D

Thank you for the reply DD214. So my growth does look right. Thank God. I don't take very hot showers. Can you please tell me what "Nioxin" is? What about blow dry or dying the hair? I haven't done this since I got my HT.

Growth in the main on average is noticeable from month 4 to month 8-9 after that the hair will continue to mature and this maturation where the hair becomes thicker and settles down and resembles your donor hair can take up to 18 months. I have heard patients report it taking two years so it is quite a long process.

You should check with your clinic regarding dying the hair. Are you talking a just for men home job or a professional one. Blow drying and using products likes gel and wax or clay these are fine to use just make sure you wash your hair regularly.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Growth in the main on average is noticeable from month 4 to month 8-9 after that the hair will continue to mature and this maturation where the hair becomes thicker and settles down and resembles your donor hair can take up to 18 months. I have heard patients report it taking two years so it is quite a long process.

You should check with your clinic regarding dying the hair. Are you talking a just for men home job or a professional one. Blow drying and using products likes gel and wax or clay these are fine to use just make sure you wash your hair regularly.

Thank you for all the information Garageland. Wao, it takes a long time for the hair to mature. About dying, I was talking about just doing it myself at home.

I will contact my doc and see what he says. Thanks again.

No problem. I would say it is fine to patients that had surgery with my clinic to use a home dye and I have done it myself. Best to check with your Doctor as you wouldn't believe the differing opinions.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. I am posting some recently taken photos for a 6 month update. As you can see the transplanted hair still seem to not match with the native hair. I hope they are going to completely blend with them soon. I am posting a before pic for comparison and a few others takes indoor and outdoor.

Hair_before.jpg.6514c8adb0ca5db566471aaaf2f45f9c.jpg

Hair_Indoor_1.jpg.f854f2de86ad180109fa0e1b3d59416f.jpg

Hair_indoor_2.jpg.60b4eabec36accda5c46dcf6a50907e1.jpg

hair_Outdoor.jpg.b01a35c8bcf99db594fdd4b6197184cd.jpg

hair_outdoor_3.jpg.3f242a81949bcbb7dd2fb7af2b68af14.jpg

Yes, Nioxin is a 3 part system with shampoo, conditioner and treatment. They make different types for different types of hair. Since using it I have experienced 'zero' hair loss. It took one week before I noticed the results. It is also supposed to thicken the appearance of your hair. It can be quite expensive so shop around. I purchase mine at Ross Dept Stores for less than half the price ($19.99) it normally retails for ($50).

Thank you for the reply DD214. So my growth does look right. Thank God. I don't take very hot showers. Can you please tell me what "Nioxin" is? What about blow dry or dying the hair? I haven't done this since I got my HT.

Thank you esrec for the reply. My doctor didn't recommend anything. In fact I totally forgot to ask him about the questions I asked here. We mainly discussed FIN usage which I am having trouble with. That was our main topic of discussion.

I am just curious if you are on fin now?

Damn dude!! Who was your surgeon? These are impressive results for only 6 months. I think your hair looks fantastic and you should just enjoy it. -Joe

You think so baldheadedjohn? Well thanks. I am not sure if I like my hair line too much. Atleast at this stage. The gaps seem to be too big. I really hope hair are going to fill in more to reduce the gaps in the coming months. I am actually enjoying my new hair a lot. Just dont want to mention the Doc's or the clinic's name at this point for obvious reasons.

I am just curious if you are on fin now?

I pretty much tried all the different routines for FIN but wasn't too lucky. I had sides each time I used it even after only 1 dose of 0.5 mg. I guess my body doesn't like it and I am one of the unlucky ones who get hit by the sides. I am really worried about my crown and top. I hope Rogaine alone is still going to help slow down the shedding.

You think so baldheadedjohn? Well thanks. I am not sure if I like my hair line too much. Atleast at this stage. The gaps seem to be too big. I really hope hair are going to fill in more to reduce the gaps in the coming months. I am actually enjoying my new hair a lot. Just dont want to mention the Doc's or the clinic's name at this point for obvious reasons.

Yes, I do. Do you mean you're not satisfied with the density or how many hairs/ cm2? I don't think that is going to improve unless you get another HT. I had the same concern. But as I understand it, the hair will continue to thicken and mature up to 2 years post HT.

Honestly, I would be over the moon if I had your results. But if you are concerned you should absolutely reach out to your surgeon. But I think you're going to notice a big improvement from month 7 to 12.

Yes, I do. Do you mean you're not satisfied with the density or how many hairs/ cm2? I don't think that is going to improve unless you get another HT. I had the same concern. But as I understand it, the hair will continue to thicken and mature up to 2 years post HT.

Honestly, I would be over the moon if I had your results. But if you are concerned you should absolutely reach out to your surgeon. But I think you're going to notice a big improvement from month 7 to 12.

Thanks for the information Joe. Its not that I am not satisfied with the density, its fine but I just feel that at the very edge of the hair line there should've been more single hair planted close to each other to avoid having gaps between the hair. Now, at six months, I hope not all hair have grown and I will see more growth in the coming months, and eventually, a tighter hair line. I'll try to find a close up pic to show what I am talking about.

Hi Everyone. I am posting a closeup shot of my hair line. I would like to get your opinion as to what do you guys think of it. I personally think the line could be a bit tighter meaning the gaps should've been smaller.

closeup.thumb.jpg.9eb6a886ebc4bbdf462946cf8ed26bfe.jpg

I think it looks great!, even the roots of hairs are pretty un-scarred. If i met you for the first time then there is no way i could tell that you had a HT. Enjoy your new hair sir.

My Thread: 

Hi Everyone. I am posting a closeup shot of my hair line. I would like to get your opinion as to what do you guys think of it. I personally think the line could be a bit tighter meaning the gaps should've been smaller.

Remember, the final aesthetic result is still months away, so what you think is sparse now will look much tighter in a few months as it matures. I think it looks great at only 6 months.

I think it looks great!, even the roots of hairs are pretty un-scarred. If i met you for the first time then there is no way i could tell that you had a HT. Enjoy your new hair sir.

Thank you harin for liking the hair. In fact I am already getting compliments at my work from people that I told about my HT. They also say the same thing that if I hadn't told them about the HT, they couldn't tell that I had one.

Remember, the final aesthetic result is still months away, so what you think is sparse now will look much tighter in a few months as it matures. I think it looks great at only 6 months.

Thank you mav23100gunther for liking my hair and for the information. I am really looking forward to the final aesthetic results.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. I am posting some new photos taken today as my 8 month update. I honestly did not see any improvement from 6 months. I want your opinion on this. I met my HT doc earlier in the start of march and he said that he was quite happy with my results. I asked him if its going to get any better than this and he said my hair will still keep filling in more up to 12 or may be 16 months, but he said since I am an early grower, I am not going to see a noticeable difference.

I want to ask everyone if some is an early grower and has very good growth at 6 months, can this happen where he has pretty much all hair fully grown and doesn't see any more improvement? I'll appreciate any opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.

front_compare.thumb.jpg.d85337f33c2d962cfc5f061d53dd1149.jpg

top_compare.thumb.jpg.8ef735b308d888b4954d81c117402331.jpg

side_compare.thumb.jpg.257a401a9c61e18be8be0cf95a9c2ac3.jpg

@srm73,

I think it looks great. If the gaps were smaller, it could look obvious that you got a job done. The way it is now, it looks very natural. This is how hairlines usually are, I suppose. I'll be following your updates, looks like you'll have good results !