*PHOTOS* This patient didn't pay for his hair, was it worth it? Feller and Bloxham

Dr. Alan Feller

This patient told me he got the corners of his hairline done for free. Does it look ok to you, or do you see some issues? Try and guess how many grafts he got. Look at the close up before you answer.

Dr. Feller

Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplants

Great Neck, NY

I dont Think i would be happy with that result.

I would say it look alot worse irl than on the photo.

Difficult to guess from that pic, and without any before shots, so there's a lot of assumption going into this. However, like all good maths students who know they've got the answer wrong, I'm going to show my workings out and hope to get a point for it.

His hairline looks to have been in a V shape and they've tried to fill in the recession, making it more into a U shape, but not quite got the hairline right (leaving a slightly pronounced widow's peak - giving a sort of W shape) and the grafts haven't all taken, especially as it nears the temporal peak. (Please see technical drawing 1 for an illustration).

If that is the case, I'd estimate it's an area of around 10-12 cm2 that they've tried to fill on both sides. At the hairline, let's say they're aiming for about 45 grafts per square centimeter. So, 12 x 2 = 24 square centimeters x 45 grafts = 1080.

But, let's make another assumption that this is fue and they may have gone higher, knowing the rate of non-growth would be higher (and also make an assumption that this is what you're trying to show). So let's say 55 grafts per centimeter on average, making it around 1,300 grafts.

On the face of it, looking at the picture, I'd say the growth is about 30-35 grafts per cm2 tops and in some places it approaches nil. So let's say an average of 25 grafts over the area of 24 cm = 600.

So the guy's had over 1,300 grafts but barely half of them have grown. He's got an unnatural hairline, with patches of no growth, and some hairs are growing at an odd angle.

In the UK, this would get me an A* at GCSE.

5b32e9f14535c_Technicaldrawing1.png.b15650b55428e0070910e3bb3a84df28.png

Newbie,

Very impressive analysis. I would have given you an "A" for that!

And, as usual, interesting answers from the general community as well. Any other thoughts on issues or estimates of graft numbers??

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I think he got MUCH more grafts.

Its a "failed" dens packing.

Because the gaps between the hairs are significant on some places and on some the hair seems denser.

So i would say 1700grafts in total but only 60% growth.

Its not a total failure... Bevause no money involved and the direction of the hair seems correct (the angles).

But the grafts are gone...

Just my "view".

Hairsearch,

Very interesting. So you think he received a dense pack but the growth yield was poor opposed to it being a low density transplant with good growth? What makes you think this?

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

To me I'd say he gt about 1400 grafts very large pluggy looking grafts. For free I'd say at least he has a base to work with and do another procedure and fill it in but then again with one great procedure he would have not wasted his donor area. To me he has no choice but to do another procedure to fix it so you never get anything for free. Cheap is expensive

1,400, huh? Not a bad estimate.

Newbie: we'll announce it tomorrow. May be trickier than you think!

What does this non rely from Dr Feller tell you? I will explain it, it puts in context quite clearly the professor's dilemma, he asked could Dr Feller do the transplant as he understood he would be doing in the first place, but no Dr feller refused , the same arrogant attitude is here , he will reply when he's he good and ready so feck you, any other Doc who started this thread would have enlightened us by now now not that it was a particularly interesting thread to begin with, but hey there's no such thing as bad publicity

Edited by Mick50

Hi everybody,

Sorry for the delay. I'll go ahead and answer this one.

So Dr Feller's original post said: "This patient had his corners done for free. Was it worth it?"

Well, they were definitely free because, believe it or not, this is the patients own natural hair. He did NOT have any transplants done in this region.

I know what you're thinking. And we were thinking the same thing. When first evaluating this patient before surgery (for work in his midscalp) we looked at the hairline and asked who did the work. He laughed and said that it was his own natural hair and he never had a transplant before. However, he had been on several consultations and asked the same question each time.

It turns out he has rosacea, and his dermatologist told him that this is what caused the slight "tenting" look at the base of the hair shaft -- which is why it looks like a transplant.

So a bit of a "trick" question, but we thought it was interesting (and it even fooled us a little too). However, we're happy to report that this patient is now around 5 months out from his mid-scalp transplant and growing nicely.

Has anyone ever heard about this phenomenon with rosacea or any other skin condition before?

Thanks for the answer Blake. I've heard/seen rosacea before. Always thought, as the name suggests, it would appear more red and pronounced than that.

Reminds me of the (no doubt unfair) joke about the ease of being dermatologist too: Thirty conditions - only two creams.

Newbie,

Generally, it does create more of a raw, reddish type of appearance in the skin on the face. Most frequently around the cheeks and nose. However, apparently it can present this way as well. Pretty interesting!

And yes, we've definitely heard the dermatology jokes too!

Hope you guys enjoyed the thread. We'll post another "quiz" type question/thread soon.