Question about FUE transections

future-ht

I talked to one Dr., and he said if the transection rate during surgery is too high, he would stop the operation.

This made me think that transecting a follicle during FUE kills the follicle, depleting that source of donor hair. Even before this conversation, I thought transecting a follicle also kills the follicle.

But then talking to another Dr. he stated that during FUE extraction, if there is transection the lower part of the follicle stays in tact and thus will grow back fully.

Is this true?

There is typically going to be a fairly consistent transection rate with each surgery. Using the FUE process you may have 3-4% of the grafts transected. This number varies per patient and is a very small number. The doctor will typically monitor this when extracting the grafts and will harvest a similar number to compensate for any loss. Therefore, if you're paying for a 2,000 graft procedure, the surgeon may extract an extra number above 2,000 to compensate for any transected graft. This number would be small and indistinguishable from your donor area.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks (Although the #s quote by Drs to me was much higher than 3-4%)

My question is whether the transected follicle grows back in the donor area to produce hair again? This is what a Dr. told me.

FUE2014, thanks for the study

No it would not. The tissue is transected, basically a lost follicle.

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

• Administrators

Transected follicles will sometimes grow back in the donor area, this is how these supposed "donor regeneration" clinics work, they transect follicles and split hairs, but this does not always occur and I think more often than not the follicle is lost, but to answer your question yes transacted follicles can regrow in the donor area.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

the study posted above had regrowth of transections at around 65% or something like that

of course that was with one dr and with one patient

im sure the regrowth rate is dependent on the dr. and his techique

btw, we are talking about transection during FUE extraction, where the top part is broken off but the bottom remains.

• Administrators

Transection can occur at the upper half or lower half of the follicle, also in follicular units there could be 2 transacted follicles with one intact follicle.

Here's another older study that highlights the differences in growth beetween follicles transected from the upper half horizontally and lower half horizontally, is there any particular reason this is of interest to you? Just curious

http://www.talizi.ge/files/publication/viability_eng.pdf

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Hi Everyone

I hd done my hair transplant FUE and its 14 days today. I hv a question to u all

Do u think its 4000+ grafts fue as they said its 4000+.

I am just asking from my curiosity plz reply

And advice me what to do to take care of my hair. And the wash procedures. Food that I must have to take. Thanks in advance.

12.jpg.87b6e3f571991638ee9f4ac426bc708b.jpg

14.jpg.675391e132605a625f78809cd89abdb9.jpg

i was in Delhi, India. As its public I cannot flash out the Name of the Dr. but its a reputed clinic in Delhi and the Dr. him self is a well known and internationally recognized. Whole procedure done by the technician except the design of inserting graft.

Transection can occur at the upper half or lower half of the follicle, also in follicular units there could be 2 transacted follicles with one intact follicle.

Here's another older study that highlights the differences in growth beetween follicles transected from the upper half horizontally and lower half horizontally, is there any particular reason this is of interest to you? Just curious

http://www.talizi.ge/files/publication/viability_eng.pdf

because i don't want to waste donor grafts

• Administrators
because i don't want to waste donor grafts

Why don't you just choose FUT?

View my thread

Mr. Future-HT,

The issue of transection is easy to confuse, sometimes by design. Transection is by definition the cross cutting of a follicular unit in vivo. When you read studies about transection they usually are controlled in a manner that allows the top half to be transected or the bottom half will be transected, either very neatly. In surgery, when a follicle is transected, it is not in a controlled manner bisecting the top half from the bottom half. It is in a slightly parallel, diagonal direction where some or all of the follicle will be destroyed. If you are targeting a four hair follicular unit and transection occurs you will wind up with a follicular unit that will grow three hairs instead of four, or perhaps only one hair out of four. In inexperienced hands, especially those that shake and cannot control the process well, this will be a common occurrence along with very high rates of complete follicular destruction, thereby making the procedure a waste of time, money and of course valuable donor hair.

The challenge is to avoid these transections altogether and only very experienced hands can do this on a consistent basis. This is the key to doing proper research. You should find a clinic where high quality results are plentiful and you need not search endlessly to find the next result hidden in some remote corner of the internet or only available upon request.