I shaved my head and its changed my life

smash1407

Hi

I know this is mainly about restoration but i feel i need to share my story

So 5 or 6 years of hair loss - i am 27 - NW5

I have been using nanogen for 3-4 years - and in the time i lost hair on my crown so no one had seen my bald patch underneath it - EVER! i was so scared to every show it to anyone

So for 2-3 years i was dying to shave my head to get over it, and i couldn't do it so i looked in to HT's to fix this.

My main concern was - why should i have to pay 10K for a HT when there is so many lads who A

A = Shave their head and get over it

B = Lads who have a full head of hair and don't have to go through this.

So this was my main issue - i know HT's are mind blowing but part of me just think its wrong to have to pay to fix what you have been given in your destiny. Yes you get jealous of people with a full head of hair but the reality is - its tough s**t really, we are a group of people feeling down about what has happened to us.

So anyway - after speaking to so many people on here who told me to try it, and after going through some incredibly bad depression i decided that if i am going to get a HT then i have to try a shaved head first at least. i really didnt want a HT for the reasons stated above so i beleived i should explore my options

Anyway last night i shaved my head at 6pm - and i will tell you now i sat and cried for 2-3 hours - i was in a state - after hiding under topic/nanogen for so many years i could finally see the extent of my hair loss

My friends came round and their first impressions were - WTF! then they was like....this actually looks amazing on you....

Thye gave me some confidence and off we went out on a night out - i started to feel better.

Bumped in to a huge number of people i know and this was the big shock - Half the people didn't even noticed i had shaved my head - other half said oh you have shaved you r head.

how ever not one single person said - when did you lose all your hair, no one, sharply enough i started to grow some confidence and quickly! before i knew it a knew me had come out of the word work - i soon became to not care what people thought and my confidence grew.

I then noticed a girl who was dancing with SOOOO much confidence... she was a 5/10 at best...,and there was a girl sat next to her who was an 8 out of 10...

I soon noticed the 5/10 was getting more attention then the other girl, and it i started to become attracted to her too and then i realised it was because she was confident....moral of this story is that YOUR confidence outlines your over all attraction. and having my head shaved and feeling more confident made me probably more attractive too.

Before i knew it i was approaching girls, chatting them up, having a good laugh and luckily enough i took one home too - something i couldnt do before because i was petrified of her running her hands through my hair and ending up with black all over them(cos of the topik) and another because i was petrified of waking up next to a girl with black all over my pillow and massive patches were the nanogen/topik had fallen out... NOW this wasnt a problem - i just didnt care about these things anymore.

i went from being depressed as ever, down, miserable to feeling on top of the world in the space of 6 hours. my depression was that bad i was receiving anti depressants as well as counselling.

I strongly encourage anyone who wants a HT to shave their head and try it - Most of you will not want to shave your head because you are scared of what people think. but i am telling you now your confidence will shoot through the roof and you will become more of an attractive person to girls.

If this post encourages just one person to shave their head then i served my purpose of it, i wanted to share with you guys what a difference it has made to me and hopefully it can do the same to you.

Great post. Good on ya. Glad you have restored that confidence!

Waking up next to girl after a one-night stand with Toppik on the pillow would be a dream for me.

It's usually empty Whiskey bottles, torn sheets and fang marks....

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Administrators
Great post. Good on ya. Glad you have restored that confidence!

Waking up next to girl after a one-night stand with Toppik on the pillow would be a dream for me.

It's usually empty Whiskey bottles, torn sheets and fang marks....

? lmao

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I encourage a shaved head first too. Not everyone will like it and most people look better with hair, which it why hair systems and hair transplants are a thing. Glad it worked for you!

Being comfortable in your own is so important. I have seen hair system wearers, hair transplanted patients, and head shavers all write similar posts as yours, and it all comes back to being comfortable.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Very inspirational story! The standard advice around here is to give shaving a try. It works for some guy who never thought it would. I'm glad to hear it's worked for you. Enjoy your new lease on life!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I've tried the shaved head look for a year, before HT, but it just wan't for me, which is why I opted for the hair transplant procedure.

If you can rock it, awesome. Some of us look better with alternatives, as Spanker says.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Dude. This is seriously an amazing post that I'm sure will help a lot of guys gain perspective.

It's amazing how confidence, a good personality, being kind, etc. can make someone seem more attractive than maybe they are on the strictly physical scale. This is a great lesson to learn, and I commend you for taking the leap of faith and trying this out for yourself. And really stoked for you that you can pull off the buzzed look. Congrats.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

There's a forum called sly bald guys. You can Google it. It's basically a support group for shavers. They preach going natural. You should check it out. My head is way too jacked up. I shaved for a few months but I didn't like it. My head is shaped like a polygon. I'd say about fifty percent if guys can shave and look good and the others have distracting melons like mine.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Great post. A lot of guys on here advise shaving down at least once and seeing how you feel about it, before taking the plunge into the world of hair restoration.

I think it's brilliant advice - hair will always grow back (at least what hair you have left!) so for any man losing his hair (even those that aren't), it's probably worth trying the shave or slick bald look once. It works great for some guys and quite a lot of men say they finally feel free from the constant worry about how their hair looks, which can be a great feeling.

Hair transplantation/medical intervention are wonderful tools, but they are not a panacea for hair loss and they are a commitment. Once you start the journey to hair restoration, it's very hard to go backwards and, for all the wonderful results and lives changed, there is a lot to consider and a lot to potentially dedicate yourself to (the cost, potentially a lifetime of medication, further surgeries, management of expectation etc.). I don't say that to put people off - it can still look great and it's still the right option for a lot of men, but understanding the ups and downs is vital.

Shaving your head, on the other hand, is quick, easy, simple and cheap and can look great for some guys. It's low maintenance too. I think some guys think, before they try it, it might feel like defeat of some kind. But actually it's refreshing how many guys feel great about it once they get used to it and get comfortable about it.

As others have said, it is about confidence. Plenty of guys out there will full heads of hair who have the same insecurities or lack of confidence about themselves as guys with no hair - and similarly there's plenty of guys out there slick bald, enjoying life, doing well and who are a force of nature when it comes to their own existence. The problem with balding is that, psychologically, it's such a weight for some men (even if it's nowhere near as big an issue for everybody else). They become more crippled by how they feel rather than how they look. Sometimes a simple shave of the head can restore that confidence and esteem, just by virtue of the fact that you're owning what you have (one of the most important lessons a man, or woman, can learn).

Congratulations!

Well done smash for having the confidence to do this. It's not for everyone but it sounds like your experience has been truly liberating for you. Really pleased for you.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.