Perspective

voxman

Perspective is important in life.

This Forum seeks to keep people suffering from MPB and related issues grounded and informed, and it is a place we can share victories and defeats.

I fret over my hair and worry about my weight and how I look on stage - and then it hits home how good I have it.

This is Joe, my grandson. He is 7 years old. Childhood Alopecia Areata is a tough row to hoe. There is no cure and as a child approaches certain ages, it can be devastating to be 'that kid'. I'm doing all I can to make him feel important and good and like everyone else. It won't be easy, but he's a tough little guy.

jo3.jpg.bae362f9e2fd4583fc556e80a36993f7.jpg

jo2.jpg.e9135ec9906a137ff761041c26b0da94.jpg

jo1.jpg.ed92e9c2ad1ae98b69d3cd108e00b160.jpg

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Good post voxman.

I agree, we should all keep perspective, at the end of the day as a ageing male, were supposed to lose hair, it's not uncommon, yet we all feel like our life's are coming to an end.

Sorry about your grandson fella, he looks happy in his pic though. You reckon he will be a rocker like his grandad?

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Poor kid . That's really tough on him. I wish him the best. He's got a pretty cool grandad though and I'm sure you'll keep his chin up:)

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

That's pretty tough, but he seems like a strong happy kid and I'm sure with the support around him, he will come out of it stronger and more determined than his peers.

Kids can be cruel especially when someone visibly appears to be different, i.e. they wear their disability/condition, probably the best way to beat that is through personality and having a skill that is respected and looked up to, perhaps learning to jam from his granddad could be this special skill.

This may sound harsh and I apologise if you take offense, but in many ways there are reasons to be thankful that all he has is Alopecia, many parents would happily trade this condition for the far more serious conditions that their children are inflicted with.

Sometimes life is not fair but you have to accept it and make the most of it, I'm sure his parents wouldn't swap the little fella for the world.

Good luck to him and his family, he'll be OK.

Edited by Shera

Vox,

Well said. One of my neighborhood friends has Alopecia Areata, so I'm pretty familiar with it. But your grandson looks like a lil badass; dig the bleach. Reminds me of my Billy Idol phase. Judging by the way he's mugging it up in the first picture, I'd venture he IS a lil badass and will be fine. Plus, he obviously has a grandfather who cares, so that goes miles.

It is sad how vain we are as a people. It'd be nice if the world worked differently, but que sera,sera.

Vox,

Definitely good to be reminded that we must maintain perspective. It's tough to a kid that's "different". I know, I've been legally-blind my entire life. Not a lot of fun, especially when everyone else started getting driver's licenses. But kids are resilient. I've been a middle school teacher for 16 years and I've seen it all. As others have said, your love and support is all the little guy needs. He looks happy!

Thanks for sharing his personal and inspiring story!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

A friend of mine with alopecia, got smp done to fill in the white patches on his scalp. It looks really good, so that could be an option. Very difficult for a young lad at that age.

I agree with perspective, although, we usually resort back to our selfish complaints about life, even when we know we're better off than most.

I was at the funeral of a girl I worked with the other day. 47, breast cancer, with a young family.

It suddenly put my receding hairline into perspective....

Vox,

AA can be devastating. Hopefully this is something that goes "quiet" after some period and doesn't flare up again. There are treatments for the specific patches if this is the case.

However, your family may be interested in researching some of the recent breakthroughs with medical therapy for alopecia areata.

Take a look at the groundbreaking studies on alopecia areata and it's more aggressive cousin alopecia universalis with the immune modulating drugs tofacitinib and ruxolitinib. May be helpful!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Definately one cool kid! Makes us all look very vain pursuing perfect hairlines when we are grown men who have had our best years so this definately puts things in perspective, a good reminder. Wish him all the best mate.

Voxman, Sorry to see your grandson going through this. I think sometimes it's harder for the parents than it is for the kid. Also, other kids these days can be a lot more tolerant and understanding of appearances (although I'm sure the mean ones out there will still try and tease him).

I agree that perhaps he should try a good old fashioned buzz cut. He's an adorable kid with a great smile and I'm sure it would suit him.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Sorry to hear this. As others have already stated, it's amazing what a positive difference a good, strong, loving support system can have on a kid in his situation, and it seems he's got that in spades.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being more confident, secure, and grounded than most of his peers (not to mention more kind and empathetic as well) simply by being reminded daily by you guys how special he is.

Hoping some sort of cure or treatment finds its way to him. Wishing you guys the best.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56