Please Help recommending surgeon to fix my bad experience and increase density?

Hi All,

I'm a new forum poster but have been viewing these forums for a while now, and although there are good reviews on a number of doctors, there is so much information its hard to really narrow it down.

I have had 3 Bosley procedures in the past and consider my results to be pretty bad. It is very obvious that I have had a hair transplant when you look at my hair line (not to mention my large scar) because of the difference in density between my natural and transplanted hair. I'm looking for recommendations for doctors who you think would do the best job of fixing this WITHOUT me having to shave my head (as many of the recommended Turkish FUE doctors on this forum do)

Cost is certainly a factor, but quality of the results is more important.

I would GREATLY appreciate any of your kind help and advice.

Thanks so much.

Bob

5b32e615ea669_leftsidecurrent.jpg.71af143f40b500b86e697b30ff6a21cb.jpg

5b32e6160f0f2_leftside-whatiwantpic.jpg.0af1ab828675ea2ad9ed7764917d8997.jpg

5b32e61629c85_rightsidecurrent.jpg.0638568a6737fb434b6372fcdd5cbe6e.jpg

5b32e6170002f_rightside-whatiwantpic.jpg.5461857f611baa2a8e7523355a6a3ad1.jpg

5b32e61720cfd_scarfrompreviousprocedures.jpg.59692097b9d81da7cc7aa3c200016184.jpg

How many grafts have you had in the 3 previous surgeries?

I would establish first whether a scar revision is possible. Try Drs Konior, Gabel, Lindsey, Vogel...basically those with a facial plastics background.

The scar may be poor because of poor surgical technique rather than any underlying problems like a tight scalp.

If you cant afford US prices then Karadeniz would be a good man to consider.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks for the note. My previous procedures were about 1,000 grafts each. I have had 3 and all have been in the same hairline/temple area. I have looked at Karadeniz, but his before/after pictures have not given me great confidence about the density he can achieve....

Thanks for the note. My previous procedures were about 1,000 grafts each. I have had 3 and all have been in the same hairline/temple area. I have looked at Karadeniz, but his before/after pictures have not given me great confidence about the density he can achieve....

How is your scalp? Is it tight? Unless unlucky I would hope you could get another 2,500 grafts via FUT and a much smaller scar.

It looks like you could do with a scar revision as well as fixing the temple corners. It's difficult to see by the pics you posted if some of the previous transplanted hairs need to be punch out. 3000 grafts to a small area is a lot. I would recommend going to few top clinics to get their evaluation and recommendation. What area do you live?

Hi BobHT29,

I wish you all the best with your HT goals.

Since you have stated your desire for a "no shave" HT, wanted to share with you Dr. Bhatti's take on the "no shave" technique. FAQs - Hair transplantation FAQ

How many grafts can be harvested through your “no shave” technique?

We routinely do the “no shave” technique procedure for cases requiring an average 2000 grafts. The term “no shave” is a misnomer since it is a must to have hair awaiting extraction to be shaved down to 1 mm in length in order to accomplish an FUE procedure. However, these stripes (not to be confused with strips) are not visible due to overlapping of hair from above and hence the donor site looks the same after a hair transplant procedure. The common denominator for a “no shave” technique is long hair at the back of the scalp long- enough to cover the shaved stripes from where the grafts are going to be extracted. The following are the number of average grafts that can be taken based on given hair length over the donor area in an individual with 100 hair per cm sq- ? inch length- 1000-1200 1 inch length-1200- 1500 1? inch length- 1500-1800 2 inch length- 1800-2000 2? inch length- 2000-2500 It is impossible to extract more than 2500 grafts in this technique since the hair lower down over the neck are spared and so are the thin hair bearing stripes which go untouched. This limits the extraction of greater number of grafts. If a patient with the same variables were to get a “full shave” FUE, up to 4000 grafts can be extracted.

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hi Bob

Would agree with Janna, really wise to have some consultations in person to see the toll the surgeries have taken on the donor and to check densities and especially miniaturisation around the scar area that is possible.

To do a revision would need good laxity and also scar positioning and any fibrosis etc all need to be taken into account to see if this is the right option. But after three surgeries and 3k taken then would advise to be seen in person and get some very good data on your case to then see what is then the best approach to do.

All the best.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Bob

After three procedures I would not risk a scar revision. A safer way would be fue into scar, with a doctor who has experience with this procedure.

Feel free to check out how I addressed my strip FUT scars below, and how I regained a near normal appearance after earlier failed attempts to repair.

All the best

ej

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160800-scar-repair-1032-beard-hairs-dr-bisanga.html

Sorry to hear about your situation. My advice is to go easy as you have already used 3000 grafts which is very hard to believe in such a small area whilst I understand your desire to thicken up what you have and reduce the scar I would agree with Janna that the temple angle closures in the corners are not right and would have some grafts removed by fue first. Designing a more mature hairline will of course require less grafts from your precious donor.

EJ does make a very good point about the scar revision after 3 surgeries it might be risky even for a very skilled surgeon to make that much of an improvement. In person consults are essential in your case.

Good luck.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Thanks everybody. Although the scar does bother me a bit, I am MUCH more concerned with the current lack of density and fixing that is my #1 priority. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seems to me that if I got another FUT strip procedure (but by a much better doctor this time) that the doctor would be able to take the strip from the same area and remove the scar, and then close up the area nice and tight? Seems that i could accomplish both goals that way? But again, thickness/density up front is my main priority.....and I really don't want to remove any existing hairs (it was hard enough to get what i have to grow) or rework my hairline.....

Thanks again for everyone's help :)

BobHT29: I had a scar revision. They removed the scar and made a new one. I turned out it was my skin laxity that caused an issue. My scar size looks very similiar to yours. If it is skin conditioned I guess you would end up with the same stretch again. Why not FUE?

CalvinJR, thanks for the note - yeah, I'm afraid of that (removing a scar just to grow a new one)

My biggest fear of FUE is having to shave. I don't want anyone to be able to notice that I got a HT.

I wouldn't rule anything out at this stage until you have visited a few doctors. Mine (Konior) has done so many procedures over the years he can tell before he has even made an incision how well someone is likely to heal, i.e. based on examining the back of your head.

Obviously there would also be a responsibility on yourself to be disciplined for the first 4-6 months to avoid bending your head too much.

FUE into the scar could work but may well cost you 1000 grafts in 2 sessions. the first session being a test to see if grafts take in the scar tissue.

• 2 weeks later...

Calvinjr,

I think Bob is referring to shaving the donor area in preparation for the FUE procedure, not after.

if I got another FUT strip procedure (but by a much better doctor this time) that the doctor would be able to take the strip from the same area and remove the scar, and then close up the area nice and tight? Seems that i could accomplish both goals that way? :)

This would depend much on the size of your current scar and how much donor you need to thicken the frontal area you want addressed. Remember that the size of the donor strip+scar can only be a certain width or else there is great risk of the scar stretching. There are different approaches to achieving your goals and I'd consider you a repair case. Sometimes the repair cases aren't done over just one procedure so it's important that the clinic is able to work with you and get you to where you want to be.