FUT is less costly compared to FUE. Can i choose FUT?

I had an inquiry with Dr. Hamayun Clinic and i found that FUT is very affordable: less then half the cost of FUE. I know how they are different and I know that FUE is the preferred method. However, I need your advise as to which method should I choose, considering the cost benefit trade off. Looking forward to your information.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can choose FUT if you want. The difference is that with FUT you will have a scar on the back of your head that could stretch. With FUT the consensus is that you have a better yield (less hairs wasted in the process of a HT) but FUE does seem to be catching up and I would guess that in a few years the yield will be the same as FUT.

With FUE people generally have less noticeable scarring.

The best advise I can give you is "dont rush". Take your time. Dont commit to anything now. Read a lot of threads here on the forum. Tell yourself that you'll give it a year before you do the HT, and then research. A HT is something you should know everything about before you do it IMHO.

Magnium gives some solid advice above. You need to weigh the "pros and cons" of both procedure and pick which is best for you. Really, it comes down to better yield (strip) versus less visible scarring (FUE). I wouldn't really let cost sway your decision too much. It's important, but don't let it be your only factor.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

The key is that you leave yourself an exit strategy.

It doesn't matter if your strip scar is fine, if you buy one, and then buzz or shave you will look like an insecure person. You will have to answer for it, and your answer will never be good enough. Trust me.

Buzzing or shaving is the one and only way a balding guy can get 'self-respect'. (Self-respect and 'self-respect' are different beasts, and its the latter that counts)

Think carefully about this.

Don't let the rep or doc decide for you, and remember FUE can be bought cheaper if you look in the right places.

it won't be cheaper wen u need to seek out an FUE surgeon to repair ur poorly healed scar. u won't be seeking an FUT surgeon to repair anything done via FUE.

don't be suckered into the lower price of FUT. get it done right the first time and opt for FUE. save a little more money.

Most docs do both techniques. MagnumPi is exactly on target, do your research and decide what is best for you. Dr. Cooley does both harvesting methods. In my opinion, if you don't plan to shave your head the method of harvesting is not an issue. And, I have seen many FUE proceduires that if the head were shaved would be obvious. Many things depend on the individuals body and the way it heals and the contrast between skin and hair color. If you harvest 3 to 4 thousand FUE grafts and shave the head, it looks a little diffusely thin at best and the small round white scars can be more apparent. If it is a small procedure, this is not usually an issue except the contrast question. Sometimes it is a matter of less expense with a strip but PLEASE research. This has to be a good decision for you that you can live with. Both will give you hair where you don't have it now! No doc can absolutely know how you will heal but most want the best for their patient.......

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

Choose the procedure method and doctor you are most comfortable with. In my case, I had NO interest in having a large scar on the back of my head. I've had two FUE surgeries and over 7,000 grafts. I have no visible scarring and my donor area looks no different from before the first surgery.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

it won't be cheaper wen u need to seek out an FUE surgeon to repair ur poorly healed scar. u won't be seeking an FUT surgeon to repair anything done via FUE.

don't be suckered into the lower price of FUT. get it done right the first time and opt for FUE. save a little more money.

I know you are pro FUE so do you have a personal choice should you decide to get a TP?

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Magnium gives some solid advice above. You need to weigh the "pros and cons" of both procedure and pick which is best for you. Really, it comes down to better yield (strip) versus less visible scarring (FUE). I wouldn't really let cost sway your decision too much. It's important, but don't let it be your only factor.

Curious why FUT has a better yield, and how much better it is?

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Modern,

See this post for more information as to why: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178876-costs-fue-us-vs-europe-asia-post2428542.html#post2428542

Long story short, FUE exposes the grafts to a greater level of stress and strain, and this affects growth and survival.

As to how much? The objective data -- which is still lacking -- tells us it's anywhere between 10% - 30% less than strip. I personally think strip yield is 95%+ on average and FUE is probably 75-80% on average. The caveat with FUE is that it's a lot more variable. You'll get cases where it's 90%; you'll also get cases where the yield is clearly poor.

Now, does this mean it's a bad procedure or I'm "anti-FUE"??

No, absolutely not. What it means is that patients need to know the above information and doctors need to recommend the right surgery to the right patient. If a patient is okay with variable yield and doesn't want to hassle with the strip scar, then FUE is an appropriate choice. But, this info needs to be shared and discussed honestly so patients can make an informed decision.

I think this is a reasonable and ethical way to do it. Hopefully this makes sense!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

And we've seen disastrous FUE results too. Human physiology plays a big part in all of this as it is not an objective guaranteed result and every procedure has a 'chance' of producing less that desirable results.

Everyone will take what they want from what they read and there are those who will prefer to make decisions based on broad sweeping statements rather that do their homework.

In the end, you live with your own decision about your own one head.

There is a lot of factors to take into account of which yyou want done.

How old are you?

What is your Family History with MBP? What is the max NW you could end up with giving your family history?

Are you on Meds?

Do you shave your back/sides low as a #3? & if not do you think you will do it in the future? If you answer yes then FUE will be a better option as FUT could show a line across your back of head if shaven to low.

There is a option if taken FUT to hide the scar to have a small FUE some 12/18 later, this to some maybe sounds like wasted folicals to hide something they don't like but that is a option if you choose down the line.

There is defo pros & cons with Both & obvious FUE would give you some piece of mind but FUT seem to be the better yeild & less price.

Good luck with your choice.

Good news travels much slower than bad news. If you are happy you may get on here and tell, or you may not..... you may tell your brother or best friend, or you may not...... IF you are UNHAPPY you would tell everyone! That is just human nature. I have seen horrible transplants using both harvesting techniques. I stand by my comment, DO YOUR RESEARCH! It is not just the doctor, it is the entire procedure and what will work best to achieve your goal. Don't allow anyone to "SELL" you. But go into the process with an open mind and understanding of what a transplant can give you. It isn't giving you more hair, it is simple moving hair to a more desired location! It is not a cure for hair loss, it is a treatment. Without maintenance you could continue to thin or lose hair. If you don't have realistic expectations you could be disappointed. Chose your surgeon wisely, chose your technique based on fact not on someone being unrealistic. Ask lots of questions about how and what is going to take place. Good luck!

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

Arussle...agree totally.

You will always here a gamblers braging , what they won but never let you know how much they truly lost.

Food for thought ...of how many failed HTs is out there? We will never know but we sure will know the winners.

Good news travels much slower than bad news. If you are happy you may get on here and tell, or you may not..... you may tell your brother or best friend, or you may not...... IF you are UNHAPPY you would tell everyone! That is just human nature. I have seen horrible transplants using both harvesting techniques. I stand by my comment, DO YOUR RESEARCH! It is not just the doctor, it is the entire procedure and what will work best to achieve your goal. Don't allow anyone to "SELL" you. But go into the process with an open mind and understanding of what a transplant can give you. It isn't giving you more hair, it is simple moving hair to a more desired location! It is not a cure for hair loss, it is a treatment. Without maintenance you could continue to thin or lose hair. If you don't have realistic expectations you could be disappointed. Chose your surgeon wisely, chose your technique based on fact not on someone being unrealistic. Ask lots of questions about how and what is going to take place. Good luck!

Open mind - research - bad news - human nature - horrible - facts - wisely - unrealistic. !

Love it.

Let's sing it.

D-O-N-T

G-E-T

A

S-T-R-I-P

S-C-A-R!

That is the first and last page of your research.

Love it.

Let's sing it.

D-O-N-T

G-E-T

A

S-T-R-I-P

S-C-A-R!

I am being completely serious here for transparency's sake, but after 5 strips of your own, what problems /regrets / issues do you deal with in the aftermath that can serve as a warning to others?

I am being completely serious here for transparency's sake, but after 5 strips of your own, what problems /regrets / issues do you deal with in the aftermath that can serve as a warning to others?

For transparencey's sake??

That doesn't even pass the spell check!

Luckily, I suck at anything to do with language, and I am dumb enough to to take the bait.

Number one problem is the strip scar.

Number 4,077 problem (and counting) is...

...the strip scar.

I don't know about transparency, but from a basic pork and beans perspective, a strip scar = you had a hair transplant.

There are many, many guys who had strip & are happy than not happy

Same can be said for FUE Pts also.

All this depends on many factors & to the personal better choices we have now got than 10 yrs ago.

There is pros & cons in both methods but both work well for different people.

For transparencey's sake??

That doesn't even pass the spell check!

Luckily, I suck at anything to do with language, and I am dumb enough to to take the bait.

Number one problem is the strip scar.

Number 4,077 problem (and counting) is...

...the strip scar.

I don't know about transparency, but from a basic pork and beans perspective, a strip scar = you had a hair transplant.

Well, first off I added one to many 'e' to TRANSPARENCY'S - so this is now the correct spelling; and second, this wasn't a troll post so there was no 'bait' to take.

I simply wanted an honest take on your issues and regrets as a tool of education to others.

Hi Voxman,

I should do that one day, but I feel it would take some meditation so that the tone of it was right and that it would do justice to the psychological and social stuff that is in there.

Suffice to say. Getting an HT took a toll and changed my trajectory through life and I suspect it has distorted/stunted a lot of growth, whilst in a certain particular way, has taken me to a place beyond the average Joe. The issues I've had to grapple with are not popular party topics!

I saw a pic in your profile. You would have been 19 in '69! Hence, the Vox right? Getting an HT at your age must be quite a different experience. I would be interested to hear your views on it too.

And I must say, to be able to shave/buzz it off - what I would give - but for the strip scar. There is no changing society's verdict on a strip scar. So to all younger guys think carefully before you let them cut you an ear-to-ear scar.

lets not forget how many grafts are damaged or destroyed while taking a scalpel to the skull and slicing the scalp to remove the strip of flesh containing grafts. how many are damaged? not sure. probably varies quite a bit.

but, if u feel the yield is 15-20% better with strip wat percentage of grafts are damaged therefore reducing the number of viable grafts that can be used in future procedures?

might be 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of another as wen u compare FUE has less yield cause if ur destroying 15-20% of grafts from that strip is it really any different then losing 15-20% via FUE?

wat type of procedure are you going to specialize in? are you going to be exclusive FUE or both FUE/FUT?

Modern,

See this post for more information as to why: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178876-costs-fue-us-vs-europe-asia-post2428542.html#post2428542

Long story short, FUE exposes the grafts to a greater level of stress and strain, and this affects growth and survival.

As to how much? The objective data -- which is still lacking -- tells us it's anywhere between 10% - 30% less than strip. I personally think strip yield is 95%+ on average and FUE is probably 75-80% on average. The caveat with FUE is that it's a lot more variable. You'll get cases where it's 90%; you'll also get cases where the yield is clearly poor.

Now, does this mean it's a bad procedure or I'm "anti-FUE"??

No, absolutely not. What it means is that patients need to know the above information and doctors need to recommend the right surgery to the right patient. If a patient is okay with variable yield and doesn't want to hassle with the strip scar, then FUE is an appropriate choice. But, this info needs to be shared and discussed honestly so patients can make an informed decision.

I think this is a reasonable and ethical way to do it. Hopefully this makes sense!

And we've seen disastrous FUE results too. Human physiology plays a big part in all of this as it is not an objective guaranteed result and every procedure has a 'chance' of producing less that desirable results.

Everyone will take what they want from what they read and there are those who will prefer to make decisions based on broad sweeping statements rather that do their homework.

In the end, you live with your own decision about your own one head.

that pretty much hits the nail on the head. in the end, its YOUR decision u have to liv with so do ur HOMEWORK!!!!!! as Vox stated.

Open mind - research - bad news - human nature - horrible - facts - wisely - unrealistic. !

Love it.

Let's sing it.

D-O-N-T

G-E-T

A

S-T-R-I-P

S-C-A-R!

That is the first and last page of your research.

lmao... that was great!